Jeans at dinner....

DixieDL

Just off the star on 3/21 and they let jeans in everywhere even on Formal night in Cagney's which was supposed to be one of the nicest restraunts on the ship. Shorts were always off limit,but nothing seemed to be said about blue jeans anywhere.

Katie

I believe it will be up to you. Your comfort level will be important because there will be alot of stuffy people sneering at you from time to time. I always take Khaki's and Polo's. On formal night I wear a shirt and tie but no jacket.

I am of Scottish extraction, but do not live there, nor have I ever lived there. To my understanding, in Scotland, the most formal outfit for men is what is known as a "Bonnie Prince Charlie" suit. This is a rather sharp looking outfit (search Internet for "Bonnie Prince Charlie"), but the lower portion is, you guessed it, a kilt. What would you cruisers think if you saw a guy dressed like that in the dining room? As I said, this is considered to be the ultimate in formal attire in Scotland.

Would it fly on the Dream out of NOLA? :eek: :eek:

I doubt it.

For a Scotsman, no matter where he lives, the kilt is appropriate in any formal situation. There are a number of rules regarding the wearing of the kilt, which tartan is appropriate, how it should be worn, etc. We live in the Chicago suburbs and we often see Scotsmen in kilts at a number of places. It's not as unusual as you might think.

Al-Frescoe - We have been on 14 cruises, two out of New Orleans and have seen at least one kilt on every cruise on at least one formal night. It's not at all unusual.

My son also got married in black jeans and a Tux shirt and jacket, boots and his black hat! I wouldn't have a problem with that attire on formal night given that there will be many others in khakis and shirts with no jacket. That doesn't bother me either. It would take a lot to bother me on a cruise!!

I thought the whole idea of Freestyle is if you don't want to dress formally, you don't have to. In fact, I thought I read somewhere that on "formal night" they have particular dining areas set up for those who wish to dress more formally. Not sure of this is true or not...but I know one of the reasons we booked the NCL Star to Alaska is because it IS a more casual cruise. There is no way in you-know-where that my husband and his 4 brothers are going to dress up for this particular cruise. Me, either, for that matter. As for jeans in the dining room...I would think black denim with a decent looking shirt would look very nice. I wouldn't suggest an old tee-shirt and holey jeans. Just something clean, in good repair and in good taste. (No shirts with raunchy wording or cartoons.) :eek:

I'm not an expert here but this is my thoughts (never cruised before) based on what I've read here on the boards..Formal Night is a night that you get dressed up and celebrate. Everybody has a different interpretation for formal. I've ready on the boards that on formal nights some people wear gowns and tuxes, others wear suit and tie, cocktail dress, others wear dockers and a shirt/tie, some women just wear a nice dress.....So, you will have to decide whether or not your husband is dressed appropriately. If you think he is, screw everybody else! This trip is about you and your family....Do what you think is right..I say let him wear the tombstone outfit. My husband doesn't own a suit, he's from Texas .He's going to wear dockers and a sports jacket to formal night and he doesn't care what anybody thinks..

Archived