Jeans at dinner....

DixieDL

Let me explain... it is not that I don't want to buy anything different for my DH... I just feel like he shouldn't have to change who is is to enjoy our vacation.... It is not that he won't look nice, it is just that it is not what you expect, different parts of the world dress differently. I am pretty sure we will try it with the nice new black jeans with his western button front shirts on most nights, and for formal night, the "Tombstone" outfit (black jacket, maroon double breasted vest, black shirt, or white shirt, pocket watch on a watch fob, and black jeans, black boots, and of course cowboy hat.. which does come off when he goes inside, but I would like it on for the pictures) I guess the worst they will do is turn us away and then we will try the next night......

What part of NM, we live south of Albuquerque. I never thought DH would think a tie meant at bolo, but he does now. I love the casual dress, cowboy style, but formal night on the ship or any other night for that matter in the dining room: simple answer::::::::::::NO! He may get away with it, but most likely not. The dress code says NO JEANS in the dining room after 5pm. Many of the ship enforce this. NMNita

NMNita,

We live south end of Albuquerque, almost to Bosque Farms. My DH has always lived in NM all his life, so a bolo tie to him is the only tie :)

I'm not an expert here but this is my thoughts (never cruised before) based on what I've read here on the boards..Formal Night is a night that you get dressed up and celebrate. Everybody has a different interpretation for formal. I've ready on the boards that on formal nights some people wear gowns and tuxes, others wear suit and tie, cocktail dress, others wear dockers and a shirt/tie, some women just wear a nice dress.....So, you will have to decide whether or not your husband is dressed appropriately. If you think he is, screw everybody else! This trip is about you and your family....Do what you think is right..I say let him wear the tombstone outfit. My husband doesn't own a suit, he's from Texas .He's going to wear dockers and a sports jacket to formal night and QUOTE]he doesn't care what anybody thinks..[/

Another great example of the "It's all about me, me, me,!" attitude that is slowly destroying civility and manners. How sad.

It really doesn't matter what the folks on this thread say about wearing jeans.

What matters is what the matre'd says. Why limit your choices? You say if you get turned away you'll just try another night. What are you going to do this night? What if you really want to go to a special restaurant and that particular matre'd says to change and dh has nothing to change into. I woud buy a pair of regular pants to change into just in case.

I haven't cruised NCL yet, but I would think part of the fun is all the choices you have as far as dining. Your choices MAY be limited.

Let me explain... it is not that I don't want to buy anything different for my DH... I just feel like he shouldn't have to change who is is to enjoy our vacation.... It is not that he won't look nice, it is just that it is not what you expect, different parts of the world dress differently. I am pretty sure we will try it with the nice new black jeans with his western button front shirts on most nights, and for formal night, the "Tombstone" outfit (black jacket, maroon double breasted vest, black shirt, or white shirt, pocket watch on a watch fob, and black jeans, black boots, and of course cowboy hat.. which does come off when he goes inside, but I would like it on for the pictures) I guess the worst they will do is turn us away and then we will try the next night......

Jeans were definitely not permitted in the two main dining rooms on our Norwegian Majesty cruise. With freestyle dining formal is optional but we personally observed a Wynonna type being denied entrance to the DR wearing a sequin studded denim suit. I'm sure she thought she looked just great but NCL apparently didn't agree.

I suggest he invest in a pair of Dockers.

I was shopping for cruise clothes yesterday with my teenage daughter. She selected a very cute top and I asked what she was going to wear for bottoms. She answered "jeans" to which I said "No, you can't wear jeans in the dining room" And ya know what?? She said, ok, I'll just wear my white pants.

If a teenager can grasp the concept of no jeans without a fuss, I don't know why it is so difficult for adults.

I personally don't care if others are wearing jeans, but my family will be following the rules.:)

My kids are still little, we explain it to them like this: You will meet people all your life who will believe rules are for everyone but them....in OUR family we follow the rules or choose to excuse ourselves from the situation.

ps I'm sure the gentleman from New Mexico will look very handsome, instead of those black cowboy jeans, can he not wear black dress pants of a similar (thicker) material?? They don't have to be suit pants, just not denim material. Why risk ruining a nice evening by having to return to your stateroom to change, like a child caught with candy in school?! JMHO

If a teenager can grasp the concept of no jeans without a fuss, I don't know why it is so difficult for adults.

.:)

Because your daughter doesn't define herself by the clothes she is wearing.;) She is obviously a bigger person than that. God bless her.

We recently attended a wedding where the Groom wore an outfit like the one you described and he looked fine, fine, fine!!!!! And very formal in my opinion. I say go for it and stand tall!! 4_1_7v.gif

What are you missing here? It isn't a matter of how nice the groom looked at his wedding it is a matter of cruise policy (all lines as a matter of fact) NO JEANS!!! Until the rules are changed and I am sure they will be one of these days, rules are not made to be broken. NMnita

My 20 year old son complained last year on our cruise to Alaska when I told him he couldn't wear jeans at night. After eating in the dining room, he admitted he would have felt out of place wearing jeans. I do know of others, including friends of ours, who wear black jeans and are never questioned -- without feeling them it's hard to know if they're denim or some other kind of fabric.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try. Some ships and locations you might get away with it, others they will turn you away. The first night of our first cruise, we ate at the pool side BBQ and I didn't bother to change out of my jeans (which were just regular blue jeans, slightly worn). We later went to the dining room for dessert only, later in the dining hours, and they did seat us. I did notice a few funny looks coming my way and, as a 1st time cruiser, didn't even catch on for about 10 minutes. Then I thought, woops, I'm not supposed to be in here in jeans. However, I've heard that they are sometimes more lenient the 1st night as not everyone may have gotten their luggage delivered. Definitely didn't make that mistake again :o .

Just got off the Dawn, jeans were everywhere in every dining room no one was turned away. As a previous post stated the dining room regulations stated nothing about jeans. I took country club casual and the atmosphere was sooo relaxed I started going to dinner in jeans. NO PROBLEMS

THE EDS

Thanks for that info. My husband will be happy. Your on vacation and should be able to be relaxed. My husband does not need to be dressed up to spend quality time with me.

My two 15 year old boys don't have a problem not wearing jeans to dinner. Should they start to go into some kind of jean withdrawl on the ship, they can put their jeans on and eat at the buffet.

That said, I don't really care what other people are wearing. We don't wear jeans to church (okay, that is a fight) or out to a nice dinner, but I realize that every family has it's own rules.

I got turned away from the main dining room, and it wasn't
formal nite. I had a brand new pair of light blue jeans that
I had matched with a jacket. The hostess said she was so
sorry, but couldn't allow me in with jeans on. What was so
weird was a lady in front of me had a denim outfit on, and
she was let in. No problem, I went back and changed and
enjoyed dinner. I would bet that a nice pair of black jeans
matched with tie and jacket would be allowed in. I agree
with the others, its the color of the jeans. They don't won't
plain old jeans.
sammymd

[font="]Its not like they have to feed you if you show up dressed inappropriately. They have stated the rules. Its just like going to a 5 star restraint, they may not serve you if you don't meet the dress code. They may, but they don't have to. Have you seen the no shirts, no shoes, no service signs?

So, if you want to try to not follow the rules, go for it. The next time I come to a red light, I'm not going to stop, because I just will not feel like it. Rules are optional. Its not like you have to wear a tux to every dinner. A cheap and ragged pair of kakis will do.[/font]

Ok.... from a previous post. Someone said that it does not say on the NCL Dawn that jeans are not allowed. So wearing jeans does follow the rules. Its funny to me... I am an accountant and dress everyday. So if I wear jeans on my vacation people will look down on me. I pay more for my husband's jeans than I pay for most of my outfits.

[quote name='mafig']It really doesn't matter what the folks on this thread say about wearing jeans. What matters is what the matre'd says. [/QUOTE]

And what the maitre 'd says may entirely depend on how persuasive Washington or Lincoln can be...

Warren

Am I missing something here? The rules state in the docs no jeans in the main dining rooms after 5. I bring two pair of khakis for my sons, they wear them to dinner and then change. Someone said vacation should be relaxing, I agree, but you know what the rules are and if don't want to follow them, then maybe a cruise is not the right vacation for you. I just don't understand what the big deal about wearing a pair of khakis is. Some people spend more time trying to get around the rules than just following them. OK, flame away!

Ah, nothing brings out debate like what to wear while dining on a cruise ship. Some favor tradition and some want change. And no matter where we stand, change has happened and will in the future. I would love for my Grandkids to grow in an era as I did where houses and cars could be left unlocked instead of security lights and systems, but that will no longer happen.

And think about this. When men first wore ties and suits, women would have to put on the corset, many petticoats, and a long dress with a bustle. Then women started losing the corset, bustle, and then, gasp, shorter dresses and skirts. Imagine the debate. Men, they still wore suits and ties.

Then came the 40's and 50's and the first women wore pants. Oh, the scandle. Yes, I remember (Telling my age). Then women started wearing those pants and a blouse to work, much more comfortable. Even when they dress up, clothes are more user friendly. Men, they still wore the suits and ties.

Today, men have finally been liberated in their dress in the work place in many areas and no longer wear those suits and ties. Yes, some still do, but not nearly as much. Even in church you don't see as many in suits and ties as you use to. Times are changing. To many men those suits and ties are as alien as corset and bustles to women.

Yes, times are changing. Do we have to like it? Of course not. Can we stop it? Of course not. Can we fret? Sure, if we want to ruin both the quality and quantity of ours lifes.

To both women and men I would like to ask a different question. Women, if that man in your life ask you to put on that corset, petticoats, and long dress with a bustle for him, would you do it? Think about it. That's basically what some of these wives are asking of their husbands. To the men, if your DW, who should also be your best friend, ask something special of you, is it that easy to deny a best friend something that would mean so much to her? It would hard be for me, for DW is my best friend and confidant. How could I deny her pleasure?

Now, due to a medical problem, I can't wear a tie or anything that restricts my neck, and my DW (Friend) would never ask me because she knows the discomfort (Real Pain) it would cause me. And I would never ask her to put on that corset. But, I can put on some nice slacks, shirt, a pullover sweater, and a jacket, all color coordinated, and even take a shower and splash on some smell good before I do so to please my best friend.

To all I say, don't ask your best friend to wear something alien that would cause them discomfort. Do ask them to wear something nice that they are comfortable in that would bring you pleasure for a special place at a special time.

Again, times are changing. And it's because people are different and have different tastes and styles. I know I wouldn't enjoy a life where everyone dressed the same, talked the same, enjoyed all the same things, and acted like clones. It would be a very dull world. Enjoy your lifes. Enjoy those special times with your best friend. And especially, enjoy your cruise. I know I do and on it, I try to make my best friend happy.

Oh, and in January on my last NCL cruise, I saw men and women in the dining room in shorts, even on formal optional night. Times are changing, maybe even faster they we would like.

Archived