Jeans at dinner....

DixieDL

[quote name='theduffys'][quote name='Colorado Babe']I'm not an expert here but this is my thoughts (never cruised before) based on what I've read here on the boards..Formal Night is a night that you get dressed up and celebrate. Everybody has a different interpretation for formal. I've ready on the boards that on formal nights some people wear gowns and tuxes, others wear suit and tie, cocktail dress, others wear dockers and a shirt/tie, some women just wear a nice dress.....So, you will have to decide whether or not your husband is dressed appropriately. If you think he is, [color=black][b][u]screw everybody else! This trip is about you and your family[/u][/b][/color]....Do what you think is right..I say let him wear the tombstone outfit. My husband doesn't own a suit, he's from Texas .He's going to wear dockers and a sports jacket to formal night and QUOTE][b][u]he doesn't care what anybody thinks..[/[/u][/b]
[b][/b]
Another great example of the [b][u]"It's all about me, me, me,!"[/u][/b] attitude that is slowly destroying civility and manners. How sad.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it amazing how we can just do our own thing and to H#L% with the rules, policies and laws? Whether it's dress code, behavior code, or any other code? Maybe too many haven taken the famous Frank Sinatra's song "I did it my way" a little to literally. NMnita

[quote name='luvwater']Ok.... from a previous post. Someone said that it does not say on the NCL Dawn that jeans are not allowed. So wearing jeans does follow the rules. Its funny to me... I am an accountant and dress everyday. So if I wear jeans on my vacation people will look down on me. I pay more for my husband's jeans than I pay for most of my outfits.[/QUOTE]

Right and wrong at the same time: If there is nothing posted about wearing jeans, yes, that is a different story, but most on here are referring to the dining rooms that state no jeans!!! As for paying more for your husbands jeans than your own outfit, I do not see where that has anything to do with whether it is ok to make your own rules. I know women who pay $50 and upward for their swim suit every year, yet they wouldn't wear it in a restaurant. I don't believe the issue is wearing jeans on vacation either, it following the policy. Most upscale all inclusives have the same rules. As has been said, you don't want to wear what is accepted eat at the bar b que or in the buffet restaurant or perhaps the tapa bar. NMnita

[quote name='Retired not Expired']Ah, nothing brings out debate like what to wear while dining on a cruise ship. Some favor tradition and some want change. And no matter where we stand, change has happened and will in the future. I would love for my Grandkids to grow in an era as I did where houses and cars could be left unlocked instead of security lights and systems, but that will no longer happen.

And think about this. When men first wore ties and suits, women would have to put on the corset, many petticoats, and a long dress with a bustle. Then women started losing the corset, bustle, and then, gasp, shorter dresses and skirts. Imagine the debate. Men, they still wore suits and ties.

Then came the 40's and 50's and the first women wore pants. Oh, the scandle. Yes, I remember (Telling my age). Then women started wearing those pants and a blouse to work, much more comfortable. Even when they dress up, clothes are more user friendly. Men, they still wore the suits and ties.

Today, men have finally been liberated in their dress in the work place in many areas and no longer wear those suits and ties. Yes, some still do, but not nearly as much. Even in church you don't see as many in suits and ties as you use to. Times are changing. To many men those suits and ties are as alien as corset and bustles to women.

Yes, times are changing. Do we have to like it? Of course not. Can we stop it? Of course not. Can we fret? Sure, if we want to ruin both the quality and quantity of ours lifes.

To both women and men I would like to ask a different question. Women, if that man in your life ask you to put on that corset, petticoats, and long dress with a bustle for him, would you do it? Think about it. That's basically what some of these wives are asking of their husbands. To the men, if your DW, who should also be your best friend, ask something special of you, is it that easy to deny a best friend something that would mean so much to her? It would hard be for me, for DW is my best friend and confidant. How could I deny her pleasure?

Now, due to a medical problem, I can't wear a tie or anything that restricts my neck, and my DW (Friend) would never ask me because she knows the discomfort (Real Pain) it would cause me. And I would never ask her to put on that corset. But, I can put on some nice slacks, shirt, a pullover sweater, and a jacket, all color coordinated, and even take a shower and splash on some smell good before I do so to please my best friend.

To all I say, don't ask your best friend to wear something alien that would cause them discomfort. Do ask them to wear something nice that they are comfortable in that would bring you pleasure for a special place at a special time.

Again, times are changing. And it's because people are different and have different tastes and styles. I know I wouldn't enjoy a life where everyone dressed the same, talked the same, enjoyed all the same things, and acted like clones. It would be a very dull world. Enjoy your lifes. Enjoy those special times with your best friend. And especially, enjoy your cruise. I know I do and on it, I try to make my best friend happy.

Oh, and in January on my last NCL cruise, I saw men and women in the dining room in shorts, even on formal optional night. Times are changing, maybe even faster they we would like.[/QUOTE]

times are changing, this may be fine, but policies are still that, as for the tie versus the corset, that's like comparing apples and mangos, sorry, not the same!!! And now, you say people in shorts after 5pm in the dining room; that could be, but in all my cruising days I have never seen a person wearing shorts in the dining room for dinner. NMnita

From the NCL website:

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please. So come as you are. No need to check for a suggested dress code in the ship's Freestyle Daily as you would on traditional cruises. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. [B]We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner.[/B]

Please follow the rules :)

Last year on the Nowegian Dawn my son (19) wore his jeans to the main dining room for dinner and they said they were sorry but he needed to go back and change if he wanted to eat with us. He said it was worth a try but he didn't mind and went back and changed and joined us. I would just bring some khakis or something for a backup plan just in case they don't let your husband in. Tell him that it's not worth missing eating dinner in the dining room. The buffets are good but the dining room is much better. I make my 16 year eat in the dining room at least twice during our cruises but he would rather not change and get a quick bite in the buffet. But he will admit it is worth eating in the main dining room (especially on lobster nite) but it takes too long and he likes to be on the move.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']times are changing, this may be fine, but policies are still that, as for the tie versus the corset, that's like comparing apples and mangos, sorry, not the same!!! And now, you say people in shorts after 5pm in the dining room; that could be, but in all my cruising days I have never seen a person wearing shorts in the dining room for dinner. NMnita[/QUOTE]

Hi Nina. Got to differ about the apples to oranges. Men are dressing down now. Their styles are changing just like the women, just took longer to happen. And it's happened whether we like it or not. Many men are no longer use to a tie and don't want to go back to it any more than women would like to go back to an uncomfortable style of dress. Many men do find it uncomfortable. If my condition would let me wear one and my DW asked, would I? For her, yes, but I probably wouldn't like it and would be uncomfortable. Therefore, I know she wouldn't ask.

I probably never would have noticed the shorts in the dining room, but I had several new cruisers I had talked into going with me and had given them the speel about no jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc. My sister kept seeing them and asking me why I had said that if others are wearing them. And it was several, not just a couple or two.

I agree with you about policy, but it is up to the cruise line to set and enforce the policy and I have seen them relaxing it. I always follow their policy. The only time I take exception is when someone has done enough to pass whatever enforcement the cruise line had done and someone else complains because it is still not formal enough for them. Like I said, I dress according to the policy and to please my best friend.

Sure, a lot of us would like to turn back the clock, or at least freeze it, to a time of more civility and a time where we could trust our neighbors and our kids could play outdoors without us worrying, but, unfortunately, we can't.

Cruise lines are trying to find a common ground to appease the traditionalist and yet attract a broader base of customers. I can't blame them for that but it will change how the traditionalists see cruising. I hope I haven't offended you for that was not my intent. Even though neither side will be totally happy, I just hope we can meet on common ground and everyone can enjoy the cruising experience.

[quote name='Retired not Expired']Hi Nina. Got to differ about the apples to oranges. Men are dressing down now. Their styles are changing just like the women, just took longer to happen. And it's happened whether we like it or not. Many men are no longer use to a tie and don't want to go back to it any more than women would like to go back to an uncomfortable style of dress. Many men do find it uncomfortable. If my condition would let me wear one and my DW asked, would I? For her, yes, but I probably wouldn't like it and would be uncomfortable. Therefore, I know she wouldn't ask.

I probably never would have noticed the shorts in the dining room, but I had several new cruisers I had talked into going with me and had given them the speel about no jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc. My sister kept seeing them and asking me why I had said that if others are wearing them. And it was several, not just a couple or two.

I agree with you about policy, but it is up to the cruise line to set and enforce the policy and I have seen them relaxing it. I always follow their policy. The only time I take exception is when someone has done enough to pass whatever enforcement the cruise line had done and someone else complains because it is still not formal enough for them. Like I said, I dress according to the policy and to please my best friend.

Sure, a lot of us would like to turn back the clock, or at least freeze it, to a time of more civility and a time where we could trust our neighbors and our kids could play outdoors without us worrying, but, unfortunately, we can't.

Cruise lines are trying to find a common ground to appease the traditionalist and yet attract a broader base of customers. I can't blame them for that but it will change how the traditionalists see cruising. I hope I haven't offended you for that was not my intent. Even though neither side will be totally happy, I just hope we can meet on common ground and everyone can enjoy the cruising experience.[/QUOTE]

retired, I am not argueing the policy as much as people following it, I wouldn't want to get into a disagreement with someone my age either. LOL.

My point about the corset was comfort. I know guys are dressing down which is fine with me. Since moving to NM DH thinks tie and bolo are the same word; great!!! I agree the cruise lines are trying to attract a broader base; that shows with the additon of kids programs. I have no problem with this. Yes sometimes we all wish we could turn the clock back a bit: keep all our technology like our remote controls, micro waves and of course this thing we are all using now. I just think there are ways to let the cruise lines or whomever know that jeans, when nice and neat are acceptable, but breaking the rules is not the way!!! Example of changing policy: NCL now allows us to bing wine on and pay a cockage fee. I don't like the fee, but it's an improvement over no wine or booze allowed. I am sure the complaints just kept coming in so NCL took a look at the policy and decided to amend it a bit. That's it for now. I am off to play Bridge with the olsters. NMNita LOl

[quote name='newmexicoNita']What are you missing here? It isn't a matter of how nice the groom looked at his wedding it is a matter of cruise policy (all lines as a matter of fact) NO JEANS!!! Until the rules are changed and I am sure they will be one of these days, rules are not made to be broken. NMnita[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but you're the one who missed something here...[b]The wedding was formal. [/b]I was making the point that [b]a[/b] [b]formal wedding is just as formal as formal night on a cruise. [/b]No one here is trying to "break the rules". As many posters have said, there is a wide range of just exactly what is [b]formal. [/b]

[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb001XXUS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_20.gif[/img][/url]

[quote name='Sophie']I'm sorry but you're the one who missed something here...[b]The wedding was formal. [/b]I was making the point that [b]a[/b] [b]formal wedding is just as formal as formal night on a cruise. [/b]No one here is trying to "break the rules". As many posters have said, there is a wide range of just exactly what is [b]formal. [/b]

QUOTE]

Sophie, the cruiseline makes the rules. Nothing else is relevant.:rolleyes:

[quote name='bpear1600'][quote name='Sophie']I'm sorry but you're the one who missed something here...[b]The wedding was formal. [/b]I was making the point that [b]a[/b] [b]formal wedding is just as formal as formal night on a cruise. [/b]No one here is trying to "break the rules". As many posters have said, there is a wide range of just exactly what is [b]formal. [/b]

QUOTE]

Sophie, the cruiseline makes the rules. Nothing else is relevant.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That might be so, but according to many posters , the cruise lines themselves don't follow the "rules" because almost everyone has seen jeans in the dining room on formal night. Personally, I have only seen [b]black jeans. [/b]Regular blue jeans I've seen everywhere on the ship [b]except formal night. [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb001XXUS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_107v.gif[/img][/url] [/b]

I don't understand why the guy can't be flexible for one night out of the year. Even the rednecks in Florida will put their jeans aside for one night if the occassion calls for dressing up. It's amazing to me to see how much energy is spent on a trivial issue like wearing jeans for one night...Menina

[quote name='CruisinMatt']From the NCL website:

We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, do they allow bear feet? And what is an etc? ;)

Yogi

I certainly hope none of you cowboys and cowgirls are on my cruise. If you can't dress appropriately for dinner in the dining room, you should eat at the buffet every night. That's what's great about NCL. They have a dining venue to suit every need. I enjoy dressing so I'll be in the dining room. The look of jeans in those beautiful dining rooms turns me off. Pants are pants. Period. There's no difference between jeans and a Docker style pant. I think this cowboy is just plain ole stubborn.

Please don't ruin my dining experience by dressing inappropriately.:mad:

This is an interesting discussion, and I am curious as to opinions on the following, which I am considering to please my DW (really, really doubt I will go through with it though, especially on an American cruise).

I am of Scottish extraction, but do not live there, nor have I ever lived there. To my understanding, in Scotland, the most formal outfit for men is what is known as a "Bonnie Prince Charlie" suit. This is a rather sharp looking outfit (search Internet for "Bonnie Prince Charlie"), but the lower portion is, you guessed it, a kilt. What would you cruisers think if you saw a guy dressed like that in the dining room? As I said, this is considered to be the ultimate in formal attire in Scotland.

Would it fly on the Dream out of NOLA? :eek: :eek:

I doubt it.

[quote name='Al_Frescoe']I am of Scottish extraction, but do not live there, nor have I ever lived there. To my understanding, in Scotland, the most formal outfit for men is what is known as a "Bonnie Prince Charlie" suit. This is a rather sharp looking outfit (search Internet for "Bonnie Prince Charlie"), but the lower portion is, you guessed it, a kilt. What would you cruisers think if you saw a guy dressed like that in the dining room? As I said, this is considered to be the ultimate in formal attire in Scotland.

I doubt it.[/QUOTE] On the contrary...I've seen many kilts on cruises on formal night. I've seen more on European cruises versus Caribbean cruises. It's more common than you think.

[quote name='Al_Frescoe']This is an interesting discussion, and I am curious as to opinions on the following, which I am considering to please my DW (really, really doubt I will go through with it though, especially on an American cruise).

I am of Scottish extraction, but do not live there, nor have I ever lived there. To my understanding, in Scotland, the most formal outfit for men is what is known as a "Bonnie Prince Charlie" suit. This is a rather sharp looking outfit (search Internet for "Bonnie Prince Charlie"), but the lower portion is, you guessed it, a kilt. What would you cruisers think if you saw a guy dressed like that in the dining room? As I said, this is considered to be the ultimate in formal attire in Scotland.

I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Al, I'd enjoy seeing a Scotysman in a kilt--very exotic to this tacky ole American! :D And you know how we love to wonder about ... well, you know. It'd add an element of intrigue to any dining experience!

I don't know why there are so many posts referring to "formal night" on NCL. Formal night is optional and generally limited to one dining venue. There are no nights when anyone is required to dress up beyond what is stated in the policy.

Cruisers on other lines decry people not dressing up appropriately on their Formal Nights. The other lines even have semi-formal night which they expect us to dress up sorta in a sportcoat and tie.

To me NCL's policy is very reasonable and understandable. Plus it saves a lot of packing. The only other cruise line that makes as much sense is Oceania. They state that the only ones wearing tuxes are the waiters.

WOW.... I can't believe someone would post that they did not want there dining experience ruined by someone wearing jeans. I wish that is all I had to worry about.

Again... someone posted that on the Dawn nowhere did it state that you could not wear jeans in the dining room. I understand the website say's something different.

So it is offensive to some for jeans.... but it is ok with some of the women’s dresses where their privates, bra straps and tattoos are showing?

Why do people care so much? Enjoy your cruise and worry about what is important.

[quote name='Al_Frescoe']This is an interesting discussion, and I am curious as to opinions on the following, which I am considering to please my DW (really, really doubt I will go through with it though, especially on an American cruise).

I doubt it.[/QUOTE]
I would love my DH to wear a kilt..... nothing better than a man in a kilt.... unless he is in a kilt playing the pipes..... (swoon)

[quote name='ron46936']I don't know why there are so many posts referring to "formal night" on NCL. Formal night is optional and generally limited to one dining venue. There are no nights when anyone is required to dress up beyond what is stated in the policy.

Cruisers on other lines decry people not dressing up appropriately on their Formal Nights. The other lines even have semi-formal night which they expect us to dress up sorta in a sportcoat and tie.

To me NCL's policy is very reasonable and understandable. Plus it saves a lot of packing. The only other cruise line that makes as much sense is Oceania. They state that the only ones wearing tuxes are the waiters.[/QUOTE]

We like NCL's policy and think it is well thought out. Oceania seems to have the right idea too but their standard seems to be Country Club Casual and men in their videos and brochures are always observed in jackets in the evening, kinda like Smart Casual on RCI, which most people ignore I might add.

We want to try Oceania but it seems you have to bring a lot more clothes unless you wear the same jacket/blazer every night.:)

Archived