Dress Code Poll

Can'tstopcruising

#3 from the choices provided. Ideally I'd like to see different dining rooms for formal and smart casual. Same food, same service. Then everyone gets their dining attire wish. Making it mandatory around the whole ship is beyond ridiculous and outdated. Thats just not the market that celebrity are attracting

1 or 3. I'm good with either.

But here's a question...my hubby wants to wear his formal kilt (jacket and kilt) for formal night on our Alaska trip...would we get horrible stares?

CCC is tricky since there are so many clueless slobs.

The ultimate to me would be formal (long dresses and tuxes) or cocktail (shorter dresses and dark suits) everywhere on the ship...except the upper deck, I guess.

Before I answered I thought (like others here) - what does country club casual mean so I went to the websites of 2 cruise lines where the dress code is CCC or resort casual

Oceania - Leave the formal wear at home—attire on Oceania ships is country-club casual every evening. A jacket and tie are never required for dinner, but many men wear sport jackets, as they would to dine in an upscale restaurant ashore. Jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and tennis shoes are discouraged after 6 pm in public rooms (From Frommers)

Azamara - Examples of resort attire for men

Sportswear, golf shirts, pants, sport coat (if desired, but not required). Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine

Examples of resort attire for women

Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants. Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine

Based on that I would go with #3. Comfy yet slightly dressy - works for me and my husband!

Then why are responders answering the question with a #.

The number of people on this board, when compared to the total number of cruisers on X, is VERY small. If you go to other boards, one of the most asked questions is "what's country club casual and what kind of clothes do I wear". One person's notion of CC casual could be jeans and a tshirt, especially if they have no notion of what persons wear in a country club. There's just too much open to interpretation. Heck, people come on here and ask what formal means. So if they can't understand that, how will they understand CC casual?

Thank you all for responding to my "flawed!" poll!

I wish more of you would be specific about what you consider Country Club (or Smart) casual. That way we would know if we are talking about the same things.

My husband would wear casual pants (but better than dockers) and either a long or short sleeve sportshirt (Like Nautica)' date=' maybe a colored t-shirt and a nice sweater or sport jacket. (The Sport jacket only at home, not to pack!)

I would wear linen pants and a nice top. At home, I would wear a pantsuit, but I don't want to pack pantsuits.[/quote']

This is what I would consider smart casual:

11rqe7a.jpgmhd17o.jpg

I would have no objections to fellow cruisers who choose to dress like the above on formal night - I KNOW it isn't the formal standard, which I choose to abide by.

You asked what people consider smart casual - this is my opinion

I'll choose number 1.

If it is called Formal Night then formal attire should be mandatory and in my opinion that should be a tuxedo for a man and a long dress for a lady.

You try wearing a long dress in a wheelchair!

Number 3 and I consider CCC to be what Tommy Bahama used to put out for women, Faccionable, Exclusively Mistook or any well thought out out fit even just linen slacks and a silk T-shirt with great sandals.

And is the cinema, AKA the Freezer, considered part of the public areas? We've done the upstairs informal when they put formal night on a port day and after dinner slunk down to watch a movie.

We say 1all the way.

My partner and I our in our late 20's early 30's and love formal nights.

It's one of the reasons we cruise so we can get dressed up. My partner has now invested in a tuxe for formals nights and I can't wait to see him in it.

We were both quite horrified when we saw men in jackets and no ties on formal nights on our last cruise.

If I wanted CCC I'd go on a Sandals holiday or cruise with Carnival.

Simone :)

We say 1all the way.

My partner and I our in our late 20's early 30's and love formal nights.

It's one of the reasons we cruise so we can get dressed up. My partner has now invested in a tuxe for formals nights and I can't wait to see him in it.

We were both quite horrified when we saw men in jackets and no ties on formal nights on our last cruise.

If I wanted CCC I'd go on a Sandals holiday or cruise with Carnival.

Simone :)

Agreed.

I'll go for 1 but I also think there most definitely should be cruises that cater for people that do not want any formal nights. CCC is too loose and no one knows what to wear so you can't enforce it.

Tuxes should be optional on formal but minimum should be dark suit with tie for gents and a cocktail dress for ladies. Tuxes and gowns should only be enforced for 'balls'.

Archived