Help me make a decision on Carribean Choices

I am planning a January 2012 cruise for eight. I am going to take my children and nephews (ages 18 - 23). Focus will be activity on shore. We are not sun worshipping people who like to lay quietly on the beach. We like to kayak, zip line, horseback ride, whale watch, bike ride or parasail. In the past we have very much liked doing private excursions (small groups or just completely on our own).

Here are the choices for three little six day cruises (yes I would like to do more but they need to get back to school).

Ryndam - January 2nd - Key West, Belize and Cozumel

Westerdam - January 2nd - Caymans, Ocho Rios, Half Moon Cay

Niew Amsterdam - January 2nd - Only two stops but bigger ship (maybe more to do for their age group) - Half Moon Cay and Falmouth

Please, for those of you who frequent the Caribbean, please advise. Thanks in advance.

For the age group you mentioned, I'm not sure that the larger ship will offer that much more than the other two and the two port itinerary would not be especially exciting . I would suggest the Ryndam or Westerdam. I'm not a big Key West fan, but I think 18-23 yr.-olds would enjoy the offerings there. Belize has some exciting options like cave tubing and zip lines. Cozumel offers great snorkeling. You will likely hear from the Jamaica-haters, but Ochie also offers some nice options. A family-owned tour company with Know Jamaica in their title is excellent and safe. There are also many other options from wilderness ATVs to canopy zip lines. HMC is a wonderful beach and a favorite stop for us. The teens/young adults may not be blown away if you say you're not really sun worshipers but there are other optional fun HMC activities + music and bars.

I am planning a January 2012 cruise for eight. I am going to take my children and nephews (ages 18 - 23). Focus will be activity on shore. We are not sun worshipping people who like to lay quietly on the beach. We like to kayak, zip line, horseback ride, whale watch, bike ride or parasail. In the past we have very much liked doing private excursions (small groups or just completely on our own).

Here are the choices for three little six day cruises (yes I would like to do more but they need to get back to school).

Ryndam - January 2nd - Key West, Belize and Cozumel

Westerdam - January 2nd - Caymans, Ocho Rios, Half Moon Cay

Niew Amsterdam - January 2nd - Only two stops but bigger ship (maybe more to do for their age group) - Half Moon Cay and Falmouth

Please, for those of you who frequent the Caribbean, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Would probably go with Ryndam choice. Key West is fun to simply walk around. Belize we've done cave tubing with Cave-Tubing.Com and we've taken a ship excursion that was a jeep safari into the rain forest and Mayan cave exploration that was great fun. Cozumel offers probably every activity that you've list for excitement. Have fun regardless of which itinerary you decide upon. GO Bucks!

I would choose Westerdam and Caymans with HMC. I like the general layout of the ship on Vista class ships better. Swimming with the Sting Rays was an amazing experience in the Caymans and there is so much to do on HMC. The lovely soft, white sand shouldn't be missed.

I would opt for the Westerdam as well. Its a bigger ship than the Ryndam.

In Jamaica at Ocho Rios you can call an independent tour operator named Phil Lafayette and get an excursion where you climb the Dunn's River Falls and then go tubing down the White River. We absolutely loved that excursion, and Phil will take wonderful care of you (and the price is good).

Cayman has lots of great snorkeling as well as the Sting Rays, and I am sure Half Moon Cay would be good.

I think I'd do the Ryndam itinerary. I think it has the most to offer for excursions and Belize is not one of the tender stops that gets missed often due to weather.

I like the Westerdam itineray because I really enjoyed Grand Cayman. However, in January tendering in Cayman can be iffy. Out of two tries, I've made it once. It seems like I read more complaints about missing Cayman in January than any other month. I don't see many posts about missing HMC because of tendering issues, but it is possible. HAL may or may not substitute alternate ports. I try to avoid itineraries with more than 1 tender port because I know I will be disappointed if we have to miss it.

If you're definitely settled on HAL, then you'll want the trips with the most ports of call and the least time at sea. There is very little by way of "active" recreation on HAL's sea days. On other lines, you can go rock climbing, zip-lining, water-sliding, surfing and wandering through a small forest of living trees without ever leaving the ship.

Thank you all for all your thoughts and suggestions. It looks like it is between the Ryndam and the Westerdam.

As for the post concerning HAL probably not being the best line for that age group, you are probably right. I really like HAL and HAL is very friendly with pricing for the 3rd or 4th passenger. Some of the other lines that look to be more friendly toward that age group (Like Royal Caribbean) really don't discount much for the 3/4 passenger. With me flipping the bill for six young adults, I'm looking for the price break on their rooms.

Again, thank you all very much.

While I do not like Jamaica, I would do the sailing with Ocho Rios where you could do a package where you can do the Jamaican Bobsled as well as a zipline. Also in Cayman the beaches are beautiful and there are other things to do there...like swimming with the sting rays, going to the turtle farm or even going to Hell (I have to chuckle a little every time I say that).

Besides that...Westerdam is such a wonderful ship. We will be doing our third sailing on her in April. :) :)

Archived