Norwegian Sun Passengers Steamed Over Altered Cruise -- But Do They Have a Case?

LauraS

I understand that some of these passengers were highly upset about not going to St Thomas/ St. Maarten, but I also understand it was not done on purpose by NCL. It does state in the contact, ( that you are suppose to READ and SIGN ) that this could happen and NCL does not have to compensate you . I know people think it won't ever happen, but it does. I think NCL went above what was expected for these passengers. I know I would have been very appreciative for their kindness. I was not on the ship, so I don't know how the crew/captain handled the situation, but I think the compensation was great. I feel bad for the people that were happy to be compensated, but you will always have others that love to complain about anything and everything. This does ruin a nice vacation. :o

We can just visualize the congress hearings. ;)

Act 1.

Upset passengers entering the hearing room with Ship Card and drinks in one hand, balancing a plate of food from the buffett in the other hand, napkins clenched between their teeth. --- :D -- searching for a seat.

Act 2.

:) "Is this seat taken"??? "Hi...where are you from"??? (munch-munch) mmmmmmmmm....gooooooooooood. Aaaaahhh... now let's go for a nice stroll....care to join us??? :D

Act 3.

"What do you mean we HAVE to stay?? :confused: Oh...right ....(giggle giggle) "Yoohoooo...where are you from congress members??? Is this your first hearing"?

Seriously? The websites and pictures about their horrible cruise, contacting congress and free cruises? I can't stop laughing at them. I'm glad that they're boycotting NCL, so I don't have to sail with them.

Personally, I would be happy with NCL's offer. And I would not be demanding a congressional hearing.

That being said, this is not like bad weather or port unrest or something completely out of NCL hands. To me, engine problems are more the cruiselines fault than not, therefore giving the passengers more ground to stand on. NCL should have done what they eventually did right off the bat and possibly quelled some of the complaining. But they took a chance that the passengers would all be sheep and take diddly-squat! Then they doled everything our piece-meal which is not a good idea.

JMHO.

Personally, I would be happy with NCL's offer. And I would not be demanding a congressional hearing.

That being said, this is not like bad weather or port unrest or something completely out of NCL hands. To me, engine problems are more the cruiselines fault than not, therefore giving the passengers more ground to stand on. NCL should have done what they eventually did right off the bat and possibly quelled some of the complaining. But they took a chance that the passengers would all be sheep and take diddly-squat! Then they doled everything our piece-meal which is not a good idea.

JMHO.

Realistically, NCL started this trip with factory reps on board to fix the engine that was giving them trouble. They probably thought it would be up and running sooner than it was, but that didn't happen.

The redundancy of the power systems on the ship gives them some flexibility to a certain point in that they could use the available power to run the ship at a fast speed, or run slow and use the remainder of the available electricity to power the accessories like air conditioning, lights, cooking apparatus, etc. When the third engine was fixed and the additional power was available, they could run fast and power all the other stuff on the ship.

Even though most people want to blame NCL for this problem, I see from various posts that they were at the mercy of the "factory experts" who were there to correct the engine problem and couldn't get it done timely.

swedish weave, I didn't know all that...very interesting. Still, it was a ship/cruiseline problem and deserving of the added compensation and some very unhappy passengers who were counting on 2 very popular ports.

I wonder if they could have forewarned the passengers before boarding that they had developed some engine problems and might have to change the itinerary and that if anyone wanted to cancel they could get a full refund right then. People would know ahead of time what could happen and those who were dead-set on certain ports would have had a choice to make then-and-there. If they decided to take a chance, not much could be said later. (And I doubt that very many would have changed their minds at the port).

We were handed a notice when we arrived at the terminal in Boston in October for the Spirit repo to NO saying that there'd been some virus cases on the previous cruise and that anyone who did not want to take a chance could get a 100% refund. I didn't see any takers but I thought NCL did the right thing...giving everyone a heads-up! In addition, knowing this made everyone very conscious of washing their hands often during the trip in addition to all the precautions taken by the ships staff during the entire trip. (We did not get sick and I did not hear of any others getting sick although I can't be sure). I welcomed being told this having sailed on a 'sick ship' a few years ago, with no forewarning of any kind. (CCL, not NCL).

Yes, completely different circumstances but it seems it could have been handled in a similar manner.

swedish weave, I didn't know all that...very interesting. Still, it was a ship/cruiseline problem and deserving of the added compensation and some very unhappy passengers who were counting on 2 very popular ports.

I wonder if they could have forewarned the passengers before boarding that they had developed some engine problems and might have to change the itinerary and that if anyone wanted to cancel they could get a full refund right then. People would know ahead of time what could happen and those who were dead-set on certain ports would have had a choice to make then-and-there. If they decided to take a chance, not much could be said later. (And I doubt that very many would have changed their minds at the port).

We were handed a notice when we arrived at the terminal in Boston in October for the Spirit repo to NO saying that there'd been some virus cases on the previous cruise and that anyone who did not want to take a chance could get a 100% refund. I didn't see any takers but I thought NCL did the right thing...giving everyone a heads-up! In addition, knowing this made everyone very conscious of washing their hands often during the trip in addition to all the precautions taken by the ships staff during the entire trip. (We did not get sick and I did not hear of any others getting sick although I can't be sure). I welcomed being told this having sailed on a 'sick ship' a few years ago, with no forewarning of any kind. (CCL, not NCL).

Yes, completely different circumstances but it seems it could have been handled in a similar manner.

I have also been offered a full refund with cancellation due a Norovirus infestation. I believe NCL looked at this as a safety issue for their passengers and made the offer.

Looking at the engine situation I believe they had a reasonable expectation that the third engine issue would be resolved quickly by bringing on engineers from the engine company to work on things. So, no real safety issues to be concerned about. That did not happen and they changed the itinerary. Along with the changed itinerary, an offer of OBC was extended. I have been on MANY cruises where ports were missed for various reasons and I have rarely, if ever, been given even the port charges as a refund.

So, your woulda, shoulda, coulda scenario is not that realistic in my mind.

PE

I also feel it was fair. Its not like the cruise had to turn around and go back to its original port. It was an issue out of everyones control. If I am on a cruise and something goes wrong, yes be a little disappointed, but then get over it. I could still have an aweseome time. Especially when none of the service aboard was effected at all. I dont know.... people just seem to forget how to enjoy life lately.

If I was on that cruise, it would not have been the NCL issue that ruined my cruise but it would have been the attitudes of the passengers.:cool: Just my opinion.

Yes, planer's edge, missing ports for various reasons OUTSIDE a cruiselines control is not that unusual. But engine trouble is not the same and I think people have a right to at least expect their ship to be in good working order.

I could care less where we go on a cruise but I have a daughter who chooses a cruise based on the ports and spends a lot of time researching tours - both the ships and private - and has that all lined up before leaving. For her family, the DR and the ships island would be a vacation disaster. I know she wouldn't have carried it as far as some of those folks seem to have but she'd have been very disappointed at the least.

And, may I add, that a good day at work is very rewarding whereas a bad day at sea sucks! There. I've always wanted to say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, planer's edge, missing ports for various reasons OUTSIDE a cruiselines control is not that unusual. But engine trouble is not the same and I think people have a right to at least expect their ship to be in good working order.

I could care less where we go on a cruise but I have a daughter who chooses a cruise based on the ports and spends a lot of time researching tours - both the ships and private - and has that all lined up before leaving. For her family, the DR and the ships island would be a vacation disaster. I know she wouldn't have carried it as far as some of those folks seem to have but she'd have been very disappointed at the least.

And, may I add, that a good day at work is very rewarding whereas a bad day at sea sucks! There. I've always wanted to say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You completely missed the point I was making, related to your post that I quoted. That is why, when these discussions get beyond page 2 or 3 it is best just to move on. After page 2 or 3 people have settled into agendas and cannot be dissuaded from their beliefs.

Enjoy the rest of this threads life.

PE

I wonder if they could have forewarned the passengers before boarding that they had developed some engine problems and might have to change the itinerary

They do forewarn passengers in the terms and conditions. Maintenance onboard ship is a continuous thing, it doesn't stop just because the ship gets underway. Machinery is taken off-line for both preventive maintenance and emergency repairs. NCL (and other cruiselines) expects that these repairs will go well and not impinge on overall ships operations. But sometimes things do go wrong, a replacement part is defective, the machinery has a heretofore undiscovered problem needing more extensive repairs, etc. There is always the potential for an engine problem which is why the terms and conditions specify that the itinerary may change at any time for any reason.

We were on a Carnival Freedom cruise last year that didn't turn out quite like we planned either. We scheduled a shore excursion in Tortola that got rained out. We had another planned for the Bahamas, but we never made it because a guy on our ship fell and sustained a head injury. The ship's doctors didn't feel comfortable handling the injury, so we went back to St. Thomas to drop him off in an American territory. As a result, we didn't get to go to the Bahamas and had an extra day at sea. We were refunded the port charges - about $18 per passenger. I believe NCL handled the situation correctly.

We could've sat around complaining, but really - how often are you on a floating resort with all sorts of stuff to do? Yes, by the time we got back to shore we were tired of being at sea...but that's the risk you take!

We have been cruising for over 30 years and aways take a 7 day cruise the first week in December. Last December we went on NCL Sun out of Port Canaveral. First day to the Bahamas was OK knowing we were going on to our favorite ports of St. Thomas and St. Martin. On Monday while attending the Latitudes Meeting when the stern of the ship suddenly began to shudder severely. This serve vibration lasted about 30 seconds. Unknown to the passengers' and latter confirmed by Caption Ronny Borg, we lost the starboard propulsion to both shafts from the engine to the propellers. The caption confirmed that we were dead in the water. So from 1:30pm to approximately 6:00pm when the caption confirmed what occurred, we lost voyage travel time to our next port of call - ST. Thomas. Later that afternoon the captain confirmed that with temporary electrical repairs, we were now able to make about 4 knots.

That evening at 8:00pm the caption made the announcement and confirming the route change, that he had changed course for the Dominican Republic - Samana with arrival Tuesday at 10am. One day at Samana, then two days at sea then on to NCL Private Island. We did find out that we were to receive the change parts to fix the electrical/mechanical problem when we anchored at Great Stirrup Cay on Friday 12/10/2010. They would try to make the repairs then, but if not able to fix the problem at the Cay, they would finish at Port Canaveral. With that, we were to return to Port Canaveral, as scheduled, on Saturday Dec 11th.

On December 8 and with passenger’s demands, Captain Borg held an afternoon meeting in the Stardust Lounge which over 400 people attended. By the way, no general announcement was made about this meeting. Only by word of mouth were we able to find out. Many people complained about the route change of not going to St. Thomas and St. Martin. The Captain indicated he got his direction to change course from Corporate NCL. Captain Borg also indicated that he believed that NCL would refund from 50% to 75% we paid for this cruise. With that statement, many passengers seemed pacified they would receive some type of compensation. That seamed to quiet the people down a bit. Later on in your letter of December 10, we were informed NCL would only give us a 30% cruise credit on any future cruise that must be used within 1 year. It seems that Captain Borg really can not make any commitments or promises for NCL.

The last item that really got us upset, was the news letter we got on our last day, dated 12/10/2010 which stated all the things NCL did to make up for the bad experience we encounter.

It stated free wine on Wednesday dinner which they never told anyone or made the announcement in their daily news letter. If you didn’t order wine, you didn’t know about it being offered.

It stated free Rum Punch on Thursday afternoon which they never told anyone or made the announcement in their daily news letter.

Free photo’s which we did find out about when we went to buy a picture, whoever they never told anyone or made the announcement in their daily news letter.

It stated half off snorkeling equipment at the Cay which they never told anyone or made the announcement in their daily news letter

It stated free hippo slide at the Cay which they never told anyone or made the announcement in their daily news letter.

In conclusion, this is NOT what we paid for when we booked this cruise. We had plans to meet with our St. Thomas Jeweler and purchase a diamond for my wife (on her birthday). NCL did not fulfill its requirements.

Most of this letter was sent to the CEO, Mr. Kevin Sheenan hoping to get a response from him. Yesterday we got a response from Customer Service. We believe they intercepted our letter and did the usual response saying that if you read the FINE PRINT as they pointed out to us, that they can change YOUR Trip for any REASON - weather or even mechanical. As you can see by the events in my letter, even the Captain of our ship doesn't have the approval from NCL Corporate to make promises to the people on board. The 30% discount on Future Cruise just doesn't cut it. One last thing that is very important, see that the Cruise Lines want your full payment 90 days prior to your departure date. What we learned is that you have NO RECOURSE to take action because the credit card companies can not take any action after 60 days against the cruise lines. I have run large million dollar projects and when we had problems, we corrected them to the satisfaction of our Customer. NOT NCL.

Oh for goodness sake! I am sooooo happy that none of these people we on our shortened Jewel sailing on Dec 5/6... Their whining would have made our short altered cruise miserable! I will reiterate that these passengers got more than enough compensation, especially when compared to what we got..

Robin

If a guest were to stay at a Hilton Hotel and the air conditioning is broken causing the guest discomfort Hilton doesn't have a problem refunding all of their money even though they spent the night in the room.

NCL should have refunded at least half the cruise fare, thrown in all their piddly freebies and then give each guest at least a $250 voucher on a future cruise.

If a guest were to stay at a Hilton Hotel and the air conditioning is broken causing the guest discomfort Hilton doesn't have a problem refunding all of their money even though they spent the night in the room.

NCL should have refunded at least half the cruise fare, thrown in all their piddly freebies and then give each guest at least a $250 voucher on a future cruise.

HAHAHAHAHAA!!!! :D You must still believe in the tooth fairy !!!!! 'IF' NCL wanted they could have cruised in circles and just givin you your port taxes back. Read the contract. Pity these people were running around the ship whining and they missed a great sunset. Get over it...'ship happens'.

HAHAHAHAHAA!!!! :D You must still believe in the tooth fairy !!!!! 'IF' NCL wanted they could have cruised in circles and just givin you your port taxes back. Read the contract. Pity these people were running around the ship whining and they missed a great sunset. Get over it...'ship happens'.

Yeah, that's a great way to run a busines. :rolleyes:

I can just see American Airlines taking a plane load of passengers bound for Dallas instead start their descent into Little Rock when the captain comes on the intercom...

"Well, folks...we're having some technical difficulties and running a little low on fuel so we're going to set down in Little Rock rather than Dallas. The flight attendants are going to come through the cabin and give everyone some more peanuts and rum punch and a $25 voucher for a future flight on American Airlines. We hope y'all enjoy Little Rock and remember, ship happens."

Yeah, that's a great way to run a busines. :rolleyes:

I can just see American Airlines taking a plane load of passengers bound for Dallas instead start their descent into Little Rock when the captain comes on the intercom...

"Well, folks...we're having some technical difficulties and running a little low on fuel so we're going to set down in Little Rock rather than Dallas. The flight attendants are going to come through the cabin and give everyone some more peanuts and rum punch and a $25 voucher for a future flight on American Airlines. We hope y'all enjoy Little Rock and remember, ship happens."

Again, it's not the same. An airline ticket is for passage from Point A to Point B.

A closed-circuit cruise is for a floating hotel that departs from and returns to Point A

Archived