Norwegian Sun Passengers Steamed Over Altered Cruise -- But Do They Have a Case?

LauraS

And I think it is the perfect example of why the discussion is ultimately pointless.

It really would not matter what they ordered. Their tastes may be totally different than yours and/or mine. Just because they disliked, or liked, a particular dish...that has NO BEARING on whether you or I might like or dislike that same dish. And that assumes that the dish was properly prepared. If it was not, then this becomes a whole different discussion.

Regardless...it is always best to just realize that reviews are OPINIONS and therefore should never be taken to heart.

If you see something in a review that does concern you, wouldn't it be best to bring it up in the general discussion forum where you could get the opinions of others who may have been on that sailing...or subsequent sailings...instead of just discussing the opinion of one poster?

And...

Your last statement intrigues me. Why must a review be "balanced"? Are you stating that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a person to have either a completely good or a completely bad experience? While I understand that good and bad thing can, and do, happen, I do believe that it is possible that a person can experience one without the other. And since the review represents the reviewer's opinion, they should be able to voice that opinion without having skew it so the pros match the cons (or vice versa).

edjack999, your point is well taken, taste, with food, music, entertainment and many things depends on the individual.

Others have made great points, in that cc is a forum that many rely on to make decision about what vacations to take, what cruise line, to what ports. To that end, reading one persons comments on the quality of the food is relevant. For example, I read movie critics views on whether or not a movie is worth going to see. Sometimes it may sway my opinion, even though I have read reviews of movies that were poor, and I thought the movie was pretty good. One persons goose is the other's gander.

Still, the matter of taste is subjective, but as in may things in life, we try for some objectivity. Opinion is nothing without facts. Expert testimony in court must be supported by facts.

Before I booked my first ocean cruise last July, I read scores of cc reviews about the ship and itineraty that I ultimatley booked. It was the Norweigan Gem. I noticed that the same cruise would produce positive and negative reviews. I tried to dissect the factual basis of the individuals reviews. I found the many of the negative reviews were because of one or two events that took place only affecting them. For example, a persistent plumbing problem, or noise problem. For some it was a particular exercise equipment at the gym was broken, or their butler was not up to par. On food, it seemed tham some had less than stellar meals, but most reviewers were happy with the food.

My cruise turned out to exceed my expectations. This was probably because I had read several negative reviews. The meals were generally good, and some were super. I did learn that fish dishes in the MDR were sometimes too dry, so I would oder another entre if my fish was dry. Not a problem, this was the exception rather than the rule.

We missed out on an excursion to Myceane becasue of a Greek strike. Still, we enjoyed our day without going to Myceane.

Another thing I discovered in reviewing reviews of the Gem. The reviews while the Gem operated out of Venice were better than when it operated out of NYC. The people that cruised in the Med were probably different from those that cruised from NYC.

I do disagree with you that it is not our place to get to the bottom of a problem with a particular review. Reviews are opinions, but based on facts. If a pattern exists, it is helpful to all on cc to make their own assessment of the validity of the perceived problem. CC is not a court of law to "prove" the underlying facts, but I think we can learn from others.

edjack999, your point is well taken, taste, with food, music, entertainment and many things depends on the individual.

Others have made great points, in that cc is a forum that many rely on to make decision about what vacations to take, what cruise line, to what ports. To that end, reading one persons comments on the quality of the food is relevant. For example, I read movie critics views on whether or not a movie is worth going to see. Sometimes it may sway my opinion, even though I have read reviews of movies that were poor, and I thought the movie was pretty good. One persons goose is the other's gander.

Still, the matter of taste is subjective, but as in may things in life, we try for some objectivity. Opinion is nothing without facts. Expert testimony in court must be supported by facts.

Before I booked my first ocean cruise last July, I read scores of cc reviews about the ship and itineraty that I ultimatley booked. It was the Norweigan Gem. I noticed that the same cruise would produce positive and negative reviews. I tried to dissect the factual basis of the individuals reviews. I found the many of the negative reviews were because of one or two events that took place only affecting them. For example, a persistent plumbing problem, or noise problem. For some it was a particular exercise equipment at the gym was broken, or their butler was not up to par. On food, it seemed tham some had less than stellar meals, but most reviewers were happy with the food.

My cruise turned out to exceed my expectations. This was probably because I had read several negative reviews. The meals were generally good, and some were super. I did learn that fish dishes in the MDR were sometimes too dry, so I would oder another entre if my fish was dry. Not a problem, this was the exception rather than the rule.

We missed out on an excursion to Myceane becasue of a Greek strike. Still, we enjoyed our day without going to Myceane.

Another thing I discovered in reviewing reviews of the Gem. The reviews while the Gem operated out of Venice were better than when it operated out of NYC. The people that cruised in the Med were probably different from those that cruised from NYC.

I do disagree with you that it is not our place to get to the bottom of a problem with a particular review. Reviews are opinions, but based on facts. If a pattern exists, it is helpful to all on cc to make their own assessment of the validity of the perceived problem. CC is not a court of law to "prove" the underlying facts, but I think we can learn from others.

You may want to re-read my posts as I believe that you and I are in agreement on this issue.

It would appear that you were able to make good use of information contained in the review section without all of the discourse that occurs on discussion threads.

Your movie review example was perfect. A reviewer gives their opinion. People read that opinion and then make their own decision. Nobody is challenging or questioning the movie reviewer.

Remember...I am not the one who presented the idea of "getting to the bottom of it" or "proving underlying facts". I just think opinions should go where opinions go and discussions occur where discussions occur. You tend to have disappointing results when things occur otherwise.

Someone up through this post (or maybe it was in mybadcruise.com) someone talked about the lines promise to make it a "perfect cruise vacation."

I think all of this disagreement over reviews mimics this same topic- that a perfect cruise for one of us is a disaster for another of us. I like to read the reviews and then also follow up on the boards. I find that most people post in both places because some people only read in one or the other.

I do like being able to ask what a particular person thought about various issues- such as "the food sucks." That's a pretty general statement. I would want to know (for my own purposes to decide about whether I would have the same criticism and not to question or degrade the reviewer whose opinion is perfectly valid) such things as "Was the food undercooked? Overcooked? Not enough vegetarian options? Too many beef dishes? Not Red Lobster-ish? Too Red Lobster-ish?

Room Complaints "My cabin steward was horrible." Hmm, are you a chatty person who wants to interact with your steward (who may be busy)? Did they not leave towel animals? Was your steward too friendly? Too ever present? Not present enough? Didn't acknowledge you if you saw him/her off ship?

I know that a number of people on the boards have done Meet and Mingle events, and some of you know each other and may even cruise together. However, remember that most of us don't have a clue who the other person is. I might read 10 bad reviews on a ship and think "That's a terrible ship" but the 10 people writing those reviews may be the next ten people I will see on the FBI Most Wanted list in the post office. Of course, it could be the other way around too. Maybe the people who post the grandest reviews may be people I would never associate with.

I like to read the reviews, the boards and then ask real life people what they thought (if possible). I have seen horrible reviews for some ships and then asked my next door neighbor (who has very similar likes and dislikes) and she tells me the ship is great.

As they say "Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone has one."

I think NCL should have given them a portion of it back. A credit to the ship means they arent loosing anything, I dont think they should have gotten it all back, but they did pay for a trip to those islands. Heck its like an airline saying they are taking you to Ohio and ending up in Texas, but their policy says they can! Maybe they should try to do something about it so the policy gets changed. Personally id say thats what chargebacks are for.

I think NCL should have given them a portion of it back. A credit to the ship means they arent loosing anything, I dont think they should have gotten it all back, but they did pay for a trip to those islands. Heck its like an airline saying they are taking you to Ohio and ending up in Texas, but their policy says they can! Maybe they should try to do something about it so the policy gets changed. Personally id say thats what chargebacks are for.

The airline analogy has been used before and it doesn't fit because with an airline the whole point is to get you from A to B. If you want to go from A to B a cruise ship is not the transportation method you should rely on. The point isn't for the cruiseline to "loose anything" but to make the passengers whole (and giving the passengers $100 OBC certainly does affect their bottom line).

While the change of ports were regretable, they were unavaoidable. I thought NCL's compensation was generous and more than adequate. The 30% discount on a future cruise more than makes up for any shopping missed in always congested St. Thomas.

I demand a free cruise based on the fact that NCL is incapable of fulfilling their promises. On the NCL website and brochures all I see is a cruise populated by fit young people dressed to the 9s. Yet what did I see on my last cruise? Chubby balding guys in their late 50's wearing loud Hawaiian shirts. I must admit though things did look better when I stepped away from the mirror. Still, the fact that they allowed someone like me on their cruise doeasn't bode well for NCL.

After reading the information regarding mechanical problems on the NCL Sun I believe the guests were treated more than fairly. We're long time cruisers and have missed ports because of weather, unsafe tenders and even the tide being too low to get tenders into the Cook Islands and the NCL compensation was certainly the most generous I've seen.

The largest disappointment in this situation is the response by some passengers that never stop complaining about something that's totally out of NCL's control and by their attitude ruin their cruise experience, as well as others within earshot.

Unfortunately things happen that in a perfect world wouldn't but hey, it's not a perfect world. Kudos to NCL for their generosity and congratulations to those passengers who took things in their stride, made the best of the alternative ports and enjoyed their vacation.

I demand a free cruise based on the fact that NCL is incapable of fulfilling their promises. On the NCL website and brochures all I see is a cruise populated by fit young people dressed to the 9s. Yet what did I see on my last cruise? Chubby balding guys in their late 50's wearing loud Hawaiian shirts. I must admit though things did look better when I stepped away from the mirror. Still, the fact that they allowed someone like me on their cruise doeasn't bode well for NCL.

Are you my twin ????:p:p

:DThanks for the chuckle!

I read somewhere...what makes the difference between an adventure and an ordeal....is attitude!

i demand a free cruise based on the fact that ncl is incapable of fulfilling their promises. On the ncl website and brochures all i see is a cruise populated by fit young people dressed to the 9s. Yet what did i see on my last cruise? Chubby balding guys in their late 50's wearing loud hawaiian shirts. I must admit though things did look better when i stepped away from the mirror. Still, the fact that they allowed someone like me on their cruise doeasn't bode well for ncl.

rotfl:d

I don't mind that someone like you, me or swedish weave are allowed on the ships at all. What bothers me is that they allow those mirrors on the ships.

As a person with about 30 cruises under the belt, my first reaction was shame on those cranky people who just want more, more, more from NCL. Lord knows I've seen my share of folks who complain all cruise long about one thing or another as part of their comprehensive program to get a refund of some kind, or to avoid proper tipping. To them, spreading poison among their fellow guests is just another part of the game.

BUT...

I can not help but feel for those whose wedding plans were trashed. Up to that point in there lives, it IS probably the most important event EVER. The planning, the money spent, the emotional investment. It has to be very upsetting!

Should they be mad at the Cruise line? Their travel agent? Their wedding planner? or all the above?

These people needed compassion, and real advice, but it seems like they were brushed off. BAD NCL. BAD.

As a person with about 30 cruises under the belt, my first reaction was shame on those cranky people who just want more, more, more from NCL. Lord knows I've seen my share of folks who complain all cruise long about one thing or another as part of their comprehensive program to get a refund of some kind, or to avoid proper tipping. To them, spreading poison among their fellow guests is just another part of the game.

BUT...

I can not help but feel for those whose wedding plans were trashed. Up to that point in there lives, it IS probably the most important event EVER. The planning, the money spent, the emotional investment. It has to be very upsetting!

Should they be mad at the Cruise line? Their travel agent? Their wedding planner? or all the above?

These people needed compassion, and real advice, but it seems like they were brushed off. BAD NCL. BAD.

I don't think anyone is saying they feel sorry for everyone involved but the point is: how sorry and was the compensation enough? I am one that feels yes, it was. As for the wedding, how awful. Our granddaughter got married on a ship prior to sailing 5 years ago: there were 2 other couples that had planned to get married on islands, well, we had to miss one island because of weather and the other couple did get married as they froze on the beach. it has often been suggested people do not plan their weddings to be held on beaches if they are cruising. Too much can go wrong.

Nita

It sounds like the compensation was fair and the guest relations were terrible which has been my experience when a cruise has toalter it's itenerary.

This brings up something I saw on a cruise and I am not questioning your experience, BTW.:)

While waiting inline, I saw and heard the exchange between a pax and guest relations. The person was very calmly explaining the situation and the pax would not listen to what they were being told and just got more and more unreasonable with what they wanted and expected. I thought if that person ever posted about their experience on CC we would only have their side of the story.;)

Lord help us if there are congressional hearings on something like this!!! That cracked me up - though I'm sure they weren't trying to be funny.

I think the communication to the passengers by top officers was very poor and NCL (and other lines) need to work on that. I think the compensation was fair, and I think that those who raised the biggest ruckus should be on a DO NOT CRUISE list with NCL, and any other cruise line would be smart to add them to theirs as well.

I have sailed on NCL before and I prefer it. However, I am slated on the Dawn for March 25th and currently the Dawn is experiencing some mechanical problems with their engines.

We totally understand that problems do happen and can happen once aboard the ship. Prior to sailing however, the cruise lines should be keeping clients up to date on whats going on. Cruisers should be allowed the choice to say that they would like to change cruises if they feel uncomfortable climbing onto a ship that has had recent issues.

I am not about getting free cruises but I am all for getting what I paid for. If I run the risk ahead of time of landing in St. Thomas when I paid for Barbado's then I should be allowed to make that decision before I get on. I can understand how people could get upset about not getting what they paid for.

Indeed the contracts do factor in unforseen circumstances but in my case, I haven't climbed aboard yet.

The Carnival Splendor (which I was on a week before it broke down) was a fine example of what can go wrong. I feel for those that were stranded on it. This is what I feel I am trying to avoid with a bit of pre-planning.

I sure hope that NCL continues to keep us informed in a timely manner and allow for it's loyal cruisers a chance to make informed decisions.

Bottom line... if I paid for Barbado's, I really want to go there and I wouldn't pay for a Lexus and be happy with a VW bug LOL.

Comments....

I have sailed on NCL before and I prefer it. However, I am slated on the Dawn for March 25th and currently the Dawn is experiencing some mechanical problems with their engines.

Bottom line... if I paid for Barbado's, I really want to go there and I wouldn't pay for a Lexus and be happy with a VW bug LOL.

Comments....

Dawn's 3rd engine issues have been fixed - see Dawn thread.

If you really, really want to go to Barbados - book a flight. Cruise itineraries can and do change.

Fair, is it Fair to end up in Samana instead of St Maartin?, you have got to be kidding me, they deserved much more compensation.

Freaking UNbelieveable.

I believe that curently, on the Dawn, Samana was the scheduled port of call and because of engine issues, the ship wound up in St Maarten

and people are complaining about that.

People just like to complain. :rolleyes:

BOTH of those places are wonderful. If passengers would do more than get off the ship and look at the port, they'd see that with a little effort and a little bit of a drive in a taxi or a short ride in a boat or ferry, The Dominican Republic has just as much beauty as any other place in the Caribbean.

If you really, really want to go to Barbados - book a flight. Cruise itineraries can and do change.

BINGO

Oh and booking a wedding at a cruise destination port is SO risky that I really think anyone who does that is either very brave or very stupid.

People who have done this and pulled it off without a hitch are VERY lucky.

I agree with Nita, but we are probably in the minority. Planning to arrive at your wedding by cruise ship is just too dangerous. I cringe every time I see someone posting about a wedding on a cruise ship or at a stop. I remember a post about a woman who had a cruise wedding scheduled and the whole cruise got cancelled. She had no backup plan.

As for missing stops, I heard from a crew member on the Golden Princess last week that they missed 2 out of the 4 stops in Hawaii a few weeks ago. Let's see: 4 days at sea, miss a stop, two stops, miss a stop, four more days at sea and then stop at Ensenada. That would be really sad.

Archived