International Cafe

cruisealot54

This year will be the first year that we have sailed on a ship with the International Cafe. I have read that there is a charge for the gelato, but are there charges for the other food? The chicken salad sounds like a welcome treat from some of the heavier food options on board. Tried doing a search on my own without luck, so your help is appreciated. Thanks

With the exception of the gelato, all of the FOOD is free, well, I suppose included in the cost of your fare. The chicken salad is delicious...but watch out for the oatmeal raisin cookies...they're deadly. ;)

The specialty coffees also carry an extra fee unless you have a coffee card.

This year will be the first year that we have sailed on a ship with the International Cafe. I have read that there is a charge for the gelato, but are there charges for the other food? The chicken salad sounds like a welcome treat from some of the heavier food options on board. Tried doing a search on my own without luck, so your help is appreciated. Thanks

Hi folks,

Was on Diamond last Sep at which time she had no Int'l Cafe. She did do a refit last fall while in Asia and received MUTS and a few other things but I can't confirm if the Int'l Cafe was one of them. Perhaps another CC member can clarify this point for you.

The Int'l Cafe (on those vessels that have it) is found in the Grand Plaza/Atrium port side on Plaza Deck. It is what it is ...a cafe where you can choose from a fine selection of sandwiches and salads and of course the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. It is not a self serve venue, as you are actually served by a crew member behind the counter...a great place for a lighter lunch, mid-day snack or an early morning coffee and a muffin.

The buffet you mention is probably the Horizon Court (HC as it's affectionately called) and this is located aft on Lido Deck (Deck 14). It is a casual dining venue which people may opt for should they not wish to avail themselves of the specialty restaurants or the assigned Traditional DR.

On Sep (at the addition of the 5:30pm Traditional sitting) the early sitting was held in the Vivaldi DR on Plaza Deck. All other Traditional sittings such as yours are served in the International DR located aft on Fiesta Deck. You should note that this DR is only accessible by taking the aft elevator/lift/stairs to Fiesta Deck.

As the lil devil from New Jersey has noted :rolleyes: if you like specialty coffees (cappucinos, lattes, fresh brewed, etc) then the purchase of a coffee card might be worthwhile your consideration.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and that an Int'l Cafe was retrofit on Diamond, but, I still think Sapphire is the first of the two sisters to receive same.

Ciao for now!!!

Two Int'l Cafe threads next to each other and posted on both thinking there was only one.

Enjoy your cruise and hope there is an Int'l Cafe for you...a great casual venue to relax and read and enjoy a coffee.

Ciao for now!!!

We are on the Grand in June, which by then will have had an IC added to the new Atrium. Will there be any seating for a quick bite to eat if leaving early for a shore excursion? Will they have any not charged for drinks - we are not into speciality coffees. Just thinking ahead!

We are on the Grand in June, which by then will have had an IC added to the new Atrium. Will there be any seating for a quick bite to eat if leaving early for a shore excursion? Will they have any not charged for drinks - we are not into speciality coffees. Just thinking ahead!
On the Golden, there was limited seating around the Deck 5 Atrium. It got pretty busy, and you couldn't always find a place to sit. I usually took what I got at the International Cafe back to the cabin, or a different part of the ship.

To answer your other question...there are no free drinks available at the IC. Not even ice tea :-(

On the Golden, there was limited seating around the Deck 5 Atrium. It got pretty busy, and you couldn't always find a place to sit. I usually took what I got at the International Cafe back to the cabin, or a different part of the ship.

To answer your other question...there are no free drinks available at the IC. Not even ice tea :-(

Another reason it's hard to find a place to eat at the IC is that many of the limited number of tables are taken by some as a place to read or to use their computers. If we find a table to eat, we leave when we're done so someone else can enjoy eating there. If Vines isn't open it's another option to sit to enjoy some IC goodies...freshly baked cookies are too convenient to grab a few to bring to our cabin. ;)

You will be on the Golden and unfortunately on the older Grand Class ships (Golden, Star & Caribbean) that had the IC added at a later date there is not gelato because there is not room :mad: The IC on those ships have everything else and we stopped there often while on the Golden and Star. A great place for good food and people watching.

Another reason it's hard to find a place to eat at the IC is that many of the limited number of tables are taken by some as a place to read or to use their computers. If we find a table to eat, we leave when we're done so someone else can enjoy eating there. If Vines isn't open it's another option to sit to enjoy some IC goodies...freshly baked cookies are too convenient to grab a few to bring to our cabin. ;)
I like the layout of the Piazza with the IC and Vines on the Golden and Star. Even if Vines is open we could bring food from the IC there with no problem. Could almost always find a seat in the bar area, the Piazza or Vines. Only became crowded during the drink making demo's - can some say the chance of free booze :D and when a good entertainer was performing - maybe 500 less passengers makes the difference?

Thank you all for the information - can't wait to try out the IC.

We have always enjoyed the "homemade" cookies they are to die for. My fav is the Oatmeal Raisin and hubby likes the chocolate. There are just so many ways to gain weight when one is cruising.:)

Archived