Penguin around Cape horn in November or February

cruisetina

November would fit better in our plans, but I read that Penguin seasion starts in December and we really want to see them.

What do you suggest?

Wait for the penguins!!!! Do a bit more research to make sure that the penguins will have arrived at the nesting grounds by November and to find out about when the eggs will hatch. If you come in November you may see penguins but no chicks or it may be that only a few of the rookeries are inhabited. Try to research each of the ports of call separately because the dates may vary from rookery to rookery.

To see the penguins penguins where? Won't see them on Cape Horn? Falklands? I saw them on a small island near Ushuaia, but only because I had an extra long layover there (long story), giving me enough time to take a combination bus and Zodiac tour that actually took us onto the penguin island. Shorter boat tours took people to just offshore from the island. I was there at the beginning of April and saw lots of penguins, but was told that we were beyond the peak. I've head that the magellanic penguins arrive in the Falklands in October, but don't know if there's a big differenc ein what you'd see Nov. vs. Feb. You don't see just how much of a difference it would be for you in terms of convenience, price, etc. to go at the later time. Enough to offset seeing fewer penguins?

In the Falklands:

Kings - all year round young hatch around Feb time though take a good year to get fully grown so you can see "big babies" almost anytime

Gentoos, Nest around November time with young hatching december time, but Gentoos around all year.

Magellanic - Come down the coast of South America start breed november/december time but unlikely to see much of them as they arfe hiding in burrows, best time to see them Jan Feb as the young get bigger and come out of their burrows

Rockhoppers again Nove/dec time till about end of Jan/feb when they go back into the water but they return to malt in March time.

Hope that helps

Malt? The rockhoppers drink malt?! I always knew there was something extra special about them!! Sorry, couldn't resist. We will be on the Fram when it stops in the Falklands in early March so hope to spend some time visiting the colony.

Hi all, thanks a lot for your thoughts.

To answer the question:

We think about the Cruise around Cape Horn with the Veendam in November or February.

So I hope to see see penguins in Punta a Arenas and Stanley (if we are able to get there, as I read it's a chance of 50% only).

We went dec 20-4th Jan 2009 and saw penguins in Punta Arenas, and Falklands . It also was very cold.............

Hi Gemcrusier,

I am on this very cruise this year (Dec. 20 - Jan 4) on HAL. Can you please provide any info on this cruise, ports, excursions (private or ship), the ship, weather, etc. any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

Mila

We started in Valpariso all of our excursions were from the ship. First stop was Puerto Montt Slight rain 60F the sun did not set until 9:30pm. We went river rafting and to Petrohue falls it was fun wet and cold. Next Puerto Chacabuco we did the Patagonian nature hike and lunch through the rainforest drizzled all day and was 57 F beautiful hike and nice lunch. Following day was at sea and what a rough sea many people were sea sick this day rain all day so were in the ship most of the day looking out it was 50 F. Following day Strait of Magellan , Darwin Sound also drizzle and around 57 F we went out to take pictures it was awsome sight. Next Punta Arenas there we saw our first peguins on Magdalena Island it was a good trip pretty windy cold on the Island 50 F sun set 9:00 pm you can walk around and you will see alot of penguins on way back they stopped in town square and we kissed the staute with the big toe legend says you will return again if you do this . Next day crusing Begle Channel this is where all the Glaciers are and not to be missed get on deck and take pic's. Finally the most southern most city Ushuaia 48 F cold but clear day , we rode the train and it was interesting you can mail a post card from the stop there to yourself and the post marks are very neet in a scrapbook. Rounding Cape Horn was next I thought this is where the sea would be rough but no , they have a rounding cermoney on deck you get christened with the water fun. Falkland Islands was the weirdest weather yet rain hale and sun within 20 min of us first arriving there. we went to see the rockhopper penguins since this was the only stop for them they was also time to walk the little town and see the whale bone church . The excursion is a little rough they take you by 4 wheel drive through the muddy wet marshy stuff and it can be quitye bumpy so if you have back issues it may not be for you the bulk of the trip is getting there then you have 40 min or so to take pic;s of the few rockhoppers before returning and I did it but felt it wasn't worth the money . Puetro Madryn 82 F sun set 8:00 pm went to the peninsula Valdes and penguins again followed by lunch I really wanted to see penguins . New years night wonderful on ship big party . Jan 1 day at sea all I can tell you is the ships are full of alot of South American speaking people so all the announcements are in many languages another thing is this is there summer and school is out so the whole family travels together, the days at sea which are to cold to go out on deck means everyone is huddled in the ship in all the common aresa and at times finding a quite space is not going to happen. Next stop Montevideo we went on bus tour city sights and lunch Argentine Beef is very good. very warm 89 F. Last stop Buenos Aires we toured the city and saw alot of things prior to flying out that day I wish we could have stayed to go to the falls but we had spent all our vacation time away from work we could . Would I go again YES it was a great trip oh one more thing if you are going the same way we did and are flying out of Buenos Aires the is a reciposity fee due at the airport it was 130.00 I can't remember exact but I am close they dont have CC machines that work most times take cash and crisp bills one of my bills was not crisp enough it held up the line to look for money,. This whole process is very fustrating for alot of people and some lost there cool so just know the line is long forms to fill out and take a relaxing deep breath. I know this is long but hope it helps.

Gemcrusier,

thanks so much for the reply and the info. I want to see penguins but only in one spot, if thats the case can you please tell me the best spot? I dont want to drive 4 hours on ruff roads to get there, so really appreciate the feedback.

I am most excited about the glaciers!

Thanks for the tip at the airport! we are flying out of Santiago, but just in case i will have cash.

thanks.

Mila

Entry Fee to Argentina

On December 1,2010, U.S. Citizens (Non-resident) passengers will start paying the entry fee as they arrive on international flights from Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay at Aeroparque Jorge Newbery. The fee for American citizens is USD 140.00, which must be paid before they can enter Argentina. They may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers’ checks. Once paid, the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States visa reciprocity.

Currently, the fee is only charged at Ezeiza and Jorge Newbery airports. It can be paid in dollars, by credit card, or with traveler's checks, and is valid for ten years and multiple entries.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/passports/information-for-travelers/entry-fee-to-argentina.html

latest I could find on the fees .

As far as going to see the penguins:

The falkland Islands are tendered so if the sea is rough or the weather to bad the ships can't send the tenders so the port is missed the sailing before ours it was cancelled, if you dont want to see the rockhoppers there (rough ride) then gypsy cove is the place on Falklands it has Magillic , some kings, and gentoos I was told .

I would look at the other two places Punta Arenas is the ferry to Magdella Island to see the penguins. Puerto Madryn is is a bus ride to the Valdes pennsulia the penguin walk all around you and down by the beach area are walras and sea lions both places have a lot of Magillic penguins. I would just look at the tours in both places and if there is something you want to see in one of the places do the penguins in the other.

I want to see penguins but only in one spot, if thats the case can you please tell me the best spot? I dont want to drive 4 hours on ruff roads to get there, so really appreciate the feedback.

Probably not a good idea to rely on seeing penguins at just 'one spot'. We were glad to have seen them in Seno Otway as our visit to the Falklands turned out to be a drive by due to the weather. If we had relied on just the Flaklands we wouldn't have seen any. We had planned on Bluff Cove as they have Kings and Gentoos as well as a museum and refreshments. The trip out there is interesting, shorter and much less 'stressful' than some of the other Falkland locations too.

As far as going to see the penguins:

I would look at the other two places Punta Arenas is the ferry to Magdella Island to see the penguins. Puerto Madryn is is a bus ride to the Valdes pennsulia the penguin walk all around you and down by the beach area are walras and sea lions both places have a lot of Magillic penguins. I would just look at the tours in both places and if there is something you want to see in one of the places do the penguins in the other.

Unfortunately we will not stop in Puerto Madryn.

Do you knwo, if there will be penguins in Punta Arenas in November?

We are just off our Mariner of the Seas 14 day around the Horn cruise. We did the ship's excursion from Ushaira to Penguin Island. It was outstanding and well worth it. Saw 100's of penguins. The tour also included seals, commorants and the lighthouse. Check out a similar tour on your cruise.

Rick and Deirdra

Archived