Does Greece "close shop" in Oct?

perkyblue

It depends which part of Greece...some of the small islands, such as Santorini, depend on tourism, mainly package tours from Northern Europe. These tours, especially from the UK, finish after the half-term holidays, around the 3rd week in Oct. The islands will close some visitor attractions, and waiters will return to the mainland for the winter. There will, however, always be places run by locals for the stray visitors. Whilst ever there's cruise ships coming in, there will be something open for the visitor. More people these days are goimg to warm-ish spots in the Med for winter breaks, and they enjoy the lack of busy-ness!

Jo.

It depends which part of Greece...some of the small islands, such as Santorini, depend on tourism, mainly package tours from Northern Europe. These tours, especially from the UK, finish after the half-term holidays, around the 3rd week in Oct. The islands will close some visitor attractions, and waiters will return to the mainland for the winter. There will, however, always be places run by locals for the stray visitors. Whilst ever there's cruise ships coming in, there will be something open for the visitor. More people these days are goimg to warm-ish spots in the Med for winter breaks, and they enjoy the lack of busy-ness!

Jo.

I completely agree. I must also say that it is very refreshing that the islands are left of the locals in the off-season. We have the best experiences in the winter: it is not so crowded, the locals have more time and are more relaxed, no signs with "full english breakfast" everywhere.

When my husband and I went to Greece for a land vacation in 1992 to visit friends, we went in December. I wanted to go to one of the islands, and our friend said it wasn't worth going because they closed up everything in October.

With the addition of so many cruise ships doing the Med now, I don't think that is any longer applicable. For our Med cruise in October 2008, Mykonos and Santorini were on the itinerary. Santorini was open and in full swing. We did miss Mykonos because of high winds. I believe it was around the 22nd and 23rd of October. We ended in Venice on the 29th of October and it rained all three days we were in Venice and two more days that we were in Paris. I'd be more concerned about bad weather, than everything being closed.

If the cruise ships have it on their itinerary, I think the ports will be open no matter what month it is.

I did not find much to be closed in Mykonos when we stopped there in December. The hours at Delos were slightly shortened, and stores seemed anxious to make deals as we were one of the last big cruises of the season (just before Thanksgiving). However, there were certainly plenty of shops and restaurants open in Mykonos Town. I don't recall seeing any shops, etc that were obviously closed up for the season.

In places like Athens there clearly won't be any problems....

Chios at the end of November was perfect: only locals, no tourists. The way I remember visiting Greece as a child in the highseason 30 years ago, the real deal. And even if the tourist traps are closed, the local shope won't be. I am sure the relatives would rather have an authentic present than a "My kids went to Greece and all they bought me was this lousy T-shirt..."

Archived