Internet Connection

JohnSC

We are booked on the QV repositioning cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 29. If I bring my lap-top computer will I be able to connect to the internet and will there be a charge for using the service? If someone has the answer please respond. Thanks!

We paid $50 US or thereabouts for enough hours for me to regularly update a travel blog and was left with about 30 minutes on the account. 10 hours for that price?? (i don't remember, honestly)... 14 day cruise. On the QM2, the reception wasn't fabulous in our balcony room on Deck 8, but ok in public spaces.

I'm seeing reviews on the QV that say the internet is decently reliable, and I'd guess its probably similarly priced.

There are options for communicating on board Cunard Ships. You can use the computers in the internet center, or your lap top using wifi in your room or other areas of the ship. There are charges by the minute, or in segments of 2 hours. The two hour segments start at about 40c per minute and goes down with larger blocks. If your an elite sailor, gold, platinum or Diamond, you get complementary 2, 4, and 6 hour blocks.

My experience on the Victoria as well as the Mary, is that wifi is slow, and the system easily overwhelmed by users, and you may try for many minutes with out successfully being able to log on. The internet center, is a bit more reliable.

You can use internet versions of AOL, and other portals on the ships computers. You cannot however connect other devices like a data dongle, or camera to public computers, so if you want to prewrite your emails, you need to do it on your own device.

You may find the laptops easier to use early in the morning say six or seven or late at night after ten pm.

Enjoy your crossing

Mike

We are booked on the QV repositioning cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 29. If I bring my lap-top computer will I be able to connect to the internet and will there be a charge for using the service? If someone has the answer please respond. Thanks!

Hi, I am on that voyage as well, there is a roll call here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1078894&page=10

Archived