Traveling from Ensenada to Puerto Nuevo...how much? Taxi/Rental car??

kornuttle

Hello everyone! I LOVE lobster I am looking for the best out there and the cheapest! I know I can get great lobster in Puerto Nuevo for amazing prices but how much does it cost to take a cab there from the Ensenada port, or how much does renting a car for the day cost? Or I would love to know if anyone has had great lobster in Ensenada so I wouldn't need to commute at all. Prices you paid, and atmosphere reviews would be great too! Good margaritas are always a plus too!! :D In So. Cal it's hard to be a lobster lover and a cheapskate! (Haha) So while I am on a cruise and in Mexico I will definitely take advantage!!!

I am originally from the east coast so small Mexican lobsters don't really turn me on! I have been told by friends who live part time near Ensenada that Hertz has a car rental location not far from the port.

I am not sure I would rent a car to just drive to a restaurant for lobster! I was actually thinking of driving into the wine country near Ensenada but haven't decided to do it yet. I'd check Hertz Ensenada for prices. I think it is about $50 for the day.

OOh yes, that would not be worth it! Thank you for the link! It is definitely more convenient to just stay in Ensenada. It would be awesome if any of you other lobster fans out there could share some good experiences you have had at some of the restaurants in the area. Cooked well and good prices! That's all I'm after! Thanks for your responses!

We are in Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta quite a lot and true cold water loster is expensive and hard to find as they have to ship it in it is not native to warmer waters.

We look more to eating the local seafood from those areas and it is wonderful :)

Not sure what Ensenda is ??

Hello everyone! I LOVE lobster I am looking for the best out there and the cheapest! I know I can get great lobster in Puerto Nuevo for amazing prices but how much does it cost to take a cab there from the Ensenada port, or how much does renting a car for the day cost? Or I would love to know if anyone has had great lobster in Ensenada so I wouldn't need to commute at all. Prices you paid, and atmosphere reviews would be great too! Good margaritas are always a plus too!! :D In So. Cal it's hard to be a lobster lover and a cheapskate! (Haha) So while I am on a cruise and in Mexico I will definitely take advantage!!!

We have a house between Ensenada and PN that we visit several times a year... just so you know, a lot has changed in PN. Not as cheap as it used to be, and last time I checked it's not pacific lobster because they are not rock lobster and they have the large claws. Pacific lobster does not and everywhere I've ordered lobster in MX has the claws. It's shipped in.

If that doesn't bother you (which it never bothers me... lobster is lobster :D) , you can find lobster for about the same price in Ensenada without the taxi fare. However, that said, the drive north is gorgeous and you must ask the taxi to stop at El Mirador. It used to be a vibrant restaurant, bar and shops, but has since gone under (so sad). The view is AMAZING though and worth the quick stop. They have a few snack (nuts/candy) vendors out front. Cantamar is also great little town on the way to PN... you'll recognize it from the cuota by all the hundreds of palm trees and the thatched roof of a quaint little restaurant.

One more places to check out if you go north to PN, stop at La Fonda which is at Km 58, I think... thatched roof AMAZING food and drinks with a gorgeous patio view of the ocean. Hmmmm, that said, I KNOW they have good lobster and steak there, but again, if you're partial to local lobster, you won't find it. They have the MOST AMAZING Sunday brunch. Their food isn't the cheapest but it is quite the experience even if you only enjoy their generously portioned margaritas.

Since restaurants change so much and we don't go to Ensenada everytime we visit Mexico, I can't help with the where to go in Ensenada part.

Another very nice adventure is the wineries. I've driven to the wineries inland from ensenada twice. I LOVE them. I don't know what the excursions trips do or where they take you but my two favorite wineries are Casa de Dona Lupe (she serves amazing garlic bread with her own infused olive oil. It's a very quaint winery and it's ORGANIC. She has a lot of great things to buy that aren't wine related. Foods, sage, oils and dipping sauces. You can try all her jams and preserves as well. For the same taxi distance, you can do that on your own without an excursion that might limit your ability to see her organic vineyard. Another winery I really like that is down the same dirt road is L.A. Cetto. They are much more upscale and have a beautiful covered patio overlooking the vinyard. Great wine and even better olives from their property. On the way into the wineries are a couple small towns with places to get great margaritas. There are websites with maps to the winery you can give to your cabbie in case he's not sure where specific wineries are.

I've never taken a taxi, so I can't help with prices, but you always negotiate before you get in. Sorry so winded... I hope it helps. :) Have fun! We have plans to drive down in a month or two. My home away from home!

Wow thanks so much for all of the info!! I live in Rancho Cucamonga, known for our vineyards and I still have never even done a wine tasting! I have never been much of a wine fan...but it is slowly growing on me. I enjoy champagne/sparkling wine very much, is that ever an option at these wineries? I have only liked the lighter or fruitier wines so far. Like Lambrusco or a Pinot Grigio. But no matter how much I like the wine it sounds like a cultural experience we would really love. I wonder how much the typical cab fare is to get there still? I have looked up some of the restaurants in Ensenada, I think I will just walk around, look for a restaurant that the locals are partial to and settle there for lunch! Homemade tortillas, beans and any kind of seafood and I'm sure I can't go wrong! And if I don't find the lobster I'm looking for I'll just ask for an extra tail when it is lobster night on the ship! So spoiled on cruises!!! :p Gotta love it!

I live in Beaumont... we're neighbors!... kind of. I love wine :D and go to Temecula as often as I can. We almost decided on Napa for a vaca but booked the Mex Riv cruise instead. If we skip Mazatlan and go to Ensenada due to all the crime and such, we'd either stay on ship (since we've done so much there already) or go to the wineries.

Dona Lupe winery doesn't have sparkling wines (or at least they didn't when I was there a year ago) that I know of, but they sell some really good dipping oils and preserves. They sell organic sage... they will go pick some fresh for you if they have it, or you can take some dried sage home. It's a very homey feel at that winery. I have a feeling that L.A. Cetto does have a wider variety of wines, including sparkling. I wonder which winery the cruise excursions go to. :confused: Getting a free bottle is nice if the excursion is cheaper than cab fare. You're just restricted to the wineries they choose. Here is a link to a winery map http://www.mexbound.com/ensenada-wineries.php. If you're going soon, the vines may be a little bare, but my MotherInLaw who just came back from the house in Baja (30min north) said it was so green and lush and the flowers were in bloom. So I imagine it would be a beautiful drive.

Hmmm...too many choices! But I don't think I will want to book any excursion through the ship! Have always preferred to do things on my own! But I love getting the opinions from CC members to help me along the way! Help me make some of these difficult situation!

Good luck with making that choice... that's the hardest part. :) Asking the locals where the best food/seafood is might work. But strangely enough, the smallest hole-in-the-wall off the strip is the best place to eat with the cheapest drinks. :D But, be safe... things are changing in MX. I still think MX is safe if you are aware of your surroundings and smart.

Archived