Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

We are staying home this 4th of July weekend. This is a busy weekend on the lake and DH is sitting in for the morning show guy Mon to Fri.

I did wear red, white and blue...but nothing CCF worthy! The morning was spent weeding and later in the day, grilled some burgers.

Two years ago we were on a cruise ship anchored off Newport. It was a great itinerary and hasn't been repeated since, (c'mon Royal Caribbean, do it again!).

DH and I wore navy shorts with red & white tops (not matchy-matchy, just subtle patriotic colors.)

QUESTION: If you're cruising on a holiday, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you celebrate?

DH and I were on Alaskan cruise over July 4th. Because of sound ban on open water there wasn't much in the way of celebration. Decorations was about it.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We saw tons of fireworks at one of our local malls. We've never cruised on the 4th of July but have cruised at Easter many times during the DS's past spring breaks. He's in college now so spring break cruises are out for now. But we are going on a 3-dayer to Mexico in two weeks. Looking forward to that!:D I always decorated our cabin during our Easter cruises and had goody bags for the DH and DS. When we have traveled (by land) at Christmas I always take a small tree and decorations with us which I set up and put gifts under. I did this in Cabo twice and in Big Bear one year while we were on a ski trip for the holidays. So, yeah, I always celebrate and decorate for all the holidays.:D

Busy week! Monday was a Colonoscopy. The procedure is done every 7 years. The prep is rather unpleasant, but hearing the surgeon say, "No problems for you!" is worth it. I urge all CCFs to check w/ your physician to see if you should schedule.

And the rest of the week - preparing for a Garage Sale. Whatever $$$ are earned goes to Vacation. (The 2 DDLs & I will have a Spa Day...). It's worth the tedious chores of selecting items, making sure they are clean, etc., and pricing.

Now that all those chores are done, DH & I will start setting up tables today.

Whatever doesn't sell gets packed up and taken to Goodwill next week...and since I'll be there anyhow...might as well walk around the store...just to look...;)

Back-To-School promotions already! That can only mean that summer clothes & accessories are going on sale...icon14.gif

icon14.gif

We are staying home this 4th of July weekend. This is a busy weekend on the lake and DH is sitting in for the morning show guy Mon to Fri.

I did wear red, white and blue...but nothing CCF worthy! The morning was spent weeding and later in the day, grilled some burgers.

Two years ago we were on a cruise ship anchored off Newport. It was a great itinerary and hasn't been repeated since, (c'mon Royal Caribbean, do it again!).

DH and I wore navy shorts with red & white tops (not matchy-matchy, just subtle patriotic colors.)

QUESTION: If you're cruising on a holiday, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you celebrate?

We cruise every year at Christmas and we go all out in the decorations department. We have a 6 ft. blow-up snowman that sits on our balcony with our solar lights and tinsel. Inside the cabin is always a 4 ft. Christmas tree and lights with a wreath on the outside of our cabin door full of candy canes and when people come by they can any of the candy canes they want. We refill them several times a day. It is usually a big hit.

So I would have to say we are a 10+++ for decorating.

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July and aren't dyeing with the summer heat,

have a great day,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Busy week! Monday was a Colonoscopy. The procedure is done every 7 years. The prep is rather unpleasant, but hearing the surgeon say, "No problems for you!" is worth it. I urge all CCFs to check w/ your physician to see if you should schedule.

And the rest of the week - preparing for a Garage Sale. Whatever $$$ are earned goes to Vacation. (The 2 DDLs & I will have a Spa Day...). It's worth the tedious chores of selecting items, making sure they are clean, etc., and pricing.

Now that all those chores are done, DH & I will start setting up tables today.

Whatever doesn't sell gets packed up and taken to Goodwill next week...and since I'll be there anyhow...might as well walk around the store...just to look...;)

Back-To-School promotions already! That can only mean that summer clothes & accessories are going on sale...icon14.gif

icon14.gif

Very happy to hear that your Colonoscopy came back great. That is a very important test to have done. I had three first cousins did of colon cancer, it is so important to be checked.

I made a stop a Good will this AM to drop some books off. Books that I have, had no takers for them in my family. I guess Stratigraphy of the Pleistocene is not on their hit parade of good books!

PS

Thank you for posting about your Colonoscopy. I know it is something that people don't like to talk about too much, but it is so important and can be a life saver.

Edited by geocruiser

No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning every detail of every outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say!

Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate???

It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.

In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.

Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?

When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper.

Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.

Sooo nice to find someone else that prepares like I do! :D Im not "normally" a very organized person, and packing used to be a NIGHTMARE before a good friend told me abought this "menu method". I just packed everything before, and when I got to my destination and opened my heavy suitcases, it was a big confusing mess as I had no idea what my rhyme or reason was for packing anything!! That resulted in half of it not even being worn :confused:

When I first packed like you described, I packed HALF as much, made a "menu" as I went along of each outfit I'd planned (mine were just for excursions and evenings). It completely cut out confusion, duplication, and premature dirty laundry! Lol!!

Love this way to pack, I get even MORE excited about the trip for the week or so leading up to departure as I do the "fashion show" thingy for DH, and wrap up my final menu and pack the day before we leave! Highly recommend it!! Its fun! :D

Sooo nice to find someone else that prepares like I do! :D Im not "normally" a very organized person, and packing used to be a NIGHTMARE before a good friend told me abought this "menu method". I just packed everything before, and when I got to my destination and opened my heavy suitcases, it was a big confusing mess as I had no idea what my rhyme or reason was for packing anything!! That resulted in half of it not even being worn :confused:

When I first packed like you described, I packed HALF as much, made a "menu" as I went along of each outfit I'd planned (mine were just for excursions and evenings). It completely cut out confusion, duplication, and premature dirty laundry! Lol!!

Love this way to pack, I get even MORE excited about the trip for the week or so leading up to departure as I do the "fashion show" thingy for DH, and wrap up my final menu and pack the day before we leave! Highly recommend it!! Its fun! :D

I totally agree. I love planning out my outfits for whatever trip I'm going on. I don't do fashion shows for the DH only because I like to surprise him on the trip. ;)

Colonoscopies are unpleasant but so crucial. My first one revealed two small polyps, which were non-cancerous...thank goodness! My last two have been clear. So good, so far. Remember that Dr. Oz put off having his done and they found he had some problems...so if you're of the age that you need them...do yourself and your loved ones a favor and get them done. In the scheme of things...it's not a big deal and you could save your life.

notanlinesLizz: The term "spreadsheet" isn't very exciting...but calling it a "menu" is a great idea!! I will use it in the future:)Also like waiting till closer to SailAway to pack. As much as I love to start The Process early, there's always a question AFTER the suitcases are done...did I pack _________???? Even though the item is checked off, do I recall putting it in.....

Thanks for the post! Come back often:cool:

I don't buy any special bags or containers either, once I've picked my jewelrey for each outfit, I use treat size and sandwich size ziplock baggies to put each grouping in. Makes it sooo easy to store everything in the cabin safe! [emoji2]

I do this as well. I have the containers/cinch bag and hanging zip bag, but I prefer the zip baggies hooked over the hangers or put in my med/make-up bag...Just depends on how I pack. Separating it also keeps the jewelry from twisting and knotting up. Had several necklaces get jumbled when I didn't separate in baggies or paper towels.

This trip I am bringing my own hangers since I am doing some back to back cruises and have a room change once on the same ship.

I just love to have my out fit hanging up and the jewelry/hair with it. Makes it so easy to get ready for the MDR.

I keep a packing list on my computer - or travel menu as it's called. LOL

Edited by tbbtravels

notanlinesLizz: The term "spreadsheet" isn't very exciting...but calling it a "menu" is a great idea!! I will use it in the future:)Also like waiting till closer to SailAway to pack. As much as I love to start The Process early, there's always a question AFTER the suitcases are done...did I pack _________???? Even though the item is checked off, do I recall putting it in.....

Thanks for the post! Come back often:cool:

You said it! I spent hours last week putting together outfits. I had them all hanging up and ready to go...then I changed my mind and decided to go more casual because it's really hot in Mexico this time of year, which is where I'm headed on our 3-dayer this weekend. Which means...yeah, I had to reconfigure all those outfits.:eek: But it was so much fun!;) Now I'm ready to set sail!:D I got it all in a medium-sized suitcase and a large, straw tote (well that's not counting the soda and water I'm taking). We'll take a small roll-on cooler for those. ;)

Edited by mousey

Have been inspired to empty closets and get rid of clothes as I wait till I can start packing. I have a mountain of clothes ready to donate and I've manage to turn some into spending money for my cruise. The first thing I did was look at how many bags/suitcases I've accumulated. Those sold easy!! I'm hoping to clean out and condense so I may have a dedicated cruise closet. Most of us have too much stuff!! So glad to get this accomplished!!

Mousy good for you glad you figured out where to put together for Mexico!!! it is hot and sticky down there this time of year, I've been there before in June years ago!

I'm having fun with maxi dresses right now they're great for right now & will be perfect for the cruise in December. I figure I can wear one during the day for walking around shopping down there, they're cool comfortable and they roll up in a ball to pack.... And they look kinda dressy depending on the shoe you put with it!! Perfect for casual dining

Sunnydaygirl, LOVE your idea "thinning the herd" is what I call it lol!!! Good for u for earning some money for your next set of clothes!!!! Makes passing but I'm still waiting for the crew to get here go by a little bit faster more productive!! Waaahoooo!!!

I did something similar recently and gave many of my good clothes to a dear friend of mine that was just one size bigger than me, awesome clothes that just were never gonna fit me anymore but really made her day!!!!!!!! I have plenty of clothes in my own size now, so the both of us have enough to knock it out of the park lol!!!

Out with the old, room for the NEW!! [emoji14]

Mousy good for you glad you figured out where to put together for Mexico!!! it is hot and sticky down there this time of year, I've been there before in June years ago!

I'm having fun with maxi dresses right now they're great for right now & will be perfect for the cruise in December. I figure I can wear one during the day for walking around shopping down there, they're cool comfortable and they roll up in a ball to pack.... And they look kinda dressy depending on the shoe you put with it!! Perfect for casual dining

Sunnydaygirl, LOVE your idea "thinning the herd" is what I call it lol!!! Good for u for earning some money for your next set of clothes!!!! Makes passing but I'm still waiting for the crew to get here go by a little bit faster more productive!! Waaahoooo!!!

I did something similar recently and gave many of my good clothes to a dear friend of mine that was just one size bigger than me, awesome clothes that just were never gonna fit me anymore but really made her day!!!!!!!! I have plenty of clothes in my own size now, so the both of us have enough to knock it out of the park lol!!!

Out with the old, room for the NEW!! [emoji14]

Lizz, you just inspired me to switch out a pair of capri pants I was going to wear on one of the casual nights for one of my new maxi skirts instead!!!! Thanks for mentioning you're into maxi dresses...that was my cue to make the change! LOL!:D

Lizz, you just inspired me to switch out a pair of capri pants I was going to wear on one of the casual nights for one of my new maxi skirts instead!!!! Thanks for mentioning you're into maxi dresses...that was my cue to make the change! LOL!:D

I too love my two maxi skirts. Because I'm a size large I take a pair of knit shorts(a snug fit) to wear under. I have nightmares remembering my walk around Hi in a skirt. So hot and sweaty I rubbed my thighs raw!! The light weight shorts work better than spanks or something similar. Those things are too hot! Mine have some cotton, much better!

I too love my two maxi skirts. Because I'm a size large I take a pair of knit shorts(a snug fit) to wear under. I have nightmares remembering my walk around Hi in a skirt. So hot and sweaty I rubbed my thighs raw!! The light weight shorts work better than spanks or something similar. Those things are too hot! Mine have some cotton, much better!

What a GREAT IDEA for daytime excursions!! I was thinking about that horrible possibility, so glad you shared!! I'd bet you can find fairly inexpensive lightweight shorts to wear underneath in any "workout" department, from Macys to Walmart! Thanks!!!!![emoji2][emoji108]

What a GREAT IDEA for daytime excursions!! I was thinking about that horrible possibility, so glad you shared!! I'd bet you can find fairly inexpensive lightweight shorts to wear underneath in any "workout" department, from Macys to Walmart! Thanks!!!!![emoji2][emoji108]

No Problem. That's what this board is all about, in this case, the hidden fashion! Just stay away from Lycra. On that fateful day in Hi I "walked" into a Ross and found a light brown pair. Now I wear black, cause the skirts have black in them!!

Ya know, I'm not a "big" girl, but unless yer a stick insect anyone would have this thigh rubbing issue!!! Love this idea, as wearing a cute maxi or sun dress on an excursion is such a neet and fun option to me, but MAN, like you said could be a painful nightmare if not prepared!!! Thanks!!!

I have LOTS of time before Packing can begin (months....:confused:), but sunnydaygirl, the Cruise Clothes will get some close inspection this fall.

No sense starting the "Menu" with any item that might not be worthy any more...

Meanwhile, Family Vacation at the Lake House starts at the end of next week and a "Menu" of outfits has been made. Clothes, etc. are ready.

We FINALLY have a washer & dryer at the Lake House! What a convenience. No more taking a laundry basket back and forth:).

I have LOTS of time before Packing can begin (months....:confused:), but sunnydaygirl, the Cruise Clothes will get some close inspection this fall.

No sense starting the "Menu" with any item that might not be worthy any more...

Meanwhile, Family Vacation at the Lake House starts at the end of next week and a "Menu" of outfits has been made. Clothes, etc. are ready.

We FINALLY have a washer & dryer at the Lake House! What a convenience. No more taking a laundry basket back and forth:).

Clearing out clothes that are not cruise worthy is a good thing. If I don't do that, I look at my closet and think I have more outfits to wear than I really have or like or fit me.

Congratulations on the new washer and dryer. I know what that means to you. In our Fl. condo I don't have one. The place is small and just no room for it. We do have a beautiful laundry room in the building, but I still have to lug it there. I tell my DH maybe I should go to the beach and beat the laundry on the rocks to get it clean. At least I be enjoying the sand and sun then!

Ok you guys getting me antsy to get started, I don't have to go anywhere till December!! Lol!! [emoji12]

I know I have a lot more dressy clothes that's I I can choose from for 14 evenings, that part of "of creating of creating my menu" menu is going to be fun and Im trying to hold off starting that so my dear husband doesn't think that I've gone completely bonkers!!!

BUT! I don't have a lot of daytime shorts, bathing suits, etc. all of that's too big for me for a long while now but since I'm just home here all day with my fur-son not going out during the day much, it's been no big deal to just make due with very minimal ya know? Im realizing right now tho that if I need new shorts, tops, bathing suits, etc to take on the trip with me for Christmas time I better get them now, because if I wait too long there won't be any! it will be winter gear out in the stores !!!! UGH!! (I hate online & mailorder, like to tryon)

SOOOO, my "daytime menu" has to start now.... (yay!) Lol

Thankfully, been down there many times and already know we're "sun" people and most of our excursions are just to boats and beaches, so the clothes needed will be clothes I'll wear around here anyway, nothing needs to be fancy. [emoji6] But the most important thing is that I figure out NOW what I'll actually need!! Might even start to catch some end of summer sales, that would be great!

This will make our trip feel more "real", and not so darn far away.. The time will pass quickly, and it'll be fun sorting out my mess of a summer casual wardrobe while building my simple daytime "menu" for our cruise!

Cheers!!!

My simple summer(till flight on August 23rd), has just gotten packed!! My son has been promoted to store Manager for a brand new North Face store in Cincinnati, opening sometime in Aug. He's inviting us to his new apartment for next weekend. My DH doesn't work Fridays and Mondays so our weekends can be long. The first part of the week 2 nights at Indy babysitting and spoiling my 3 yr GDD. The next week I'm leaving on Tuesday for a fun week in Louisville with my DD who is there for business!! Free Hotel!! So far early August is wide open, but I have a feeling that could change!!! May truly have to get my "menu" going sooner rather than later!! I get bored easily so keeping me busy is good. When I get bored I go shopping, which can be truly dangerous.

While in Louisville there's a brand new outlet mall opening 20 min away!! Now isn't that just fate?? My travel partner is also my cruise mate, so she'll want to go too. Being from Kentucky she knows her way around. My DH is coming down as the 31st is our anniversary!!!

Rambling again!!! Thanks for reading!!