Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

geocruiser - I think you have good info on Explorer, but here's my 2 cents worth: Plan for 1 Formal Night. There wouldn't be 2 on a short cruise.

Explorer is a great ship! We have been on it 7 times! The Promenade Cafe is a good spot for people watching. Crew is friendly, helpful, professional. We have never had bad food on ANY ship:).

mousey: Your gladiator sandals are very much in style. No wonder you get compliments:)!

The length of the cruise doesn't matter!!! As long as you can get away for any amount of time it's a good cruise:cool:.

QUESTION: What is your preferred cruise length? DH & I like 9 or 10 nights, but 7 is quite acceptable!

QUESTION: What is your preferred cruise length? DH & I like 9 or 10 nights, but 7 is quite acceptable!

We like the longer cruises also. My favorite was a 12 night TA. Anything less than 9 days seems too short. If it were the only cruise I could take, of course I would.

On our last and rare 5-night cruise (we mostly do 7-dayers), I dressed up every night. What I consider dressing up for casual nights is a pretty top and either a nice pair of capri pants or maxi skirt, or sometimes, I'll wear a dress. I'll accent whatever I'm wearing with pretty jewelry, a really nice pair of sandals, and a cute clutch. On "elegant" night, I'll usually wear a fancier maxi skirt and really pretty top or a cocktail dress, instead of capri pants, a casual maxi skirt, or dress. I don't know if the Carnival ship (the name of which escapes me just now) we would be sailing on has a formal night as it's only a 4-day cruise. I'll have to check into that. It doesn't really matter to me because if it doesn't, I'll still pick one night and dress up anyway.:o:D

I will bring one formal outfit. DH will wear his tux. Jewelry for me can make the outfit. Just DH , me and another couple going on this cruise. We will leave Pepe Lapew home (even if she/he wears a fur coat!)

indiana71,

Seven times on Explore! WOW! We have a PR cabin.

Edited by geocruiser

I think the longest cruise we've taken back in the late 80s, or early

90s...can't remember now, was 8 days. The cruise started out in Venice, Italy and ended in Niece, France. It was one of our all-time favorite cruises. I'd love to be able to do whatever the longest cruise in the world is someday. We just love cruising so much. Or maybe we could go on one cruise and then jump right onto another cruise. That would be awesome!:D

I think the longest cruise we've taken back in the late 80s, or early

90s...can't remember now, was 8 days. The cruise started out in Venice, Italy and ended in Niece, France. It was one of our all-time favorite cruises. I'd love to be able to do whatever the longest cruise in the world is someday. We just love cruising so much. Or maybe we could go on one cruise and then jump right onto another cruise. That would be awesome!:D

Believe I read somewhere that RCCL was offering a 58 day cruise, broken into 9 installments. It's on one of their new ships, yet to be finished. Hope it's not the one that just suffered a $68,000 fire. The ports were amazing. I showed to my DH and asked if we could sell our house and go!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

it makes me wonder if I can do it for my Caribbean cruise in August...

The only thing not in there is dress shoes for formal night and two formal dresses...which would go in my husbands suitcase with the sunscreen and aloe.

Then my bathing suit would go in my large purse...along with my mask and snorkel...

We are going on a 7 day, I THINK I can do it....has anyone here done it?

Seems like a fun personal challenge...

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet

Believe I read somewhere that RCCL was offering a 58 day cruise, broken into 9 installments. It's on one of their new ships, yet to be finished. Hope it's not the one that just suffered a $68,000 fire. The ports were amazing. I showed to my DH and asked if we could sell our house and go!!

Why not dream of Oceania's 180 day cruise? No formal nights, much easier to pack for, and the food is better than on RCCL.:D

It is my dream to see how long on a ship would be "enough".

it makes me wonder if I can do it for my Caribbean cruise in August...

The only thing not in there is dress shoes for formal night and two formal dresses...which would go in my husbands suitcase with the sunscreen and aloe.

Then my bathing suit would go in my large purse...along with my mask and snorkel...

We are going on a 7 day, I THINK I can do it....has anyone here done it?

Seems like a fun personal challenge...

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,:) I have not but I do know gals who have done it.

Over the years of being on here, we all have our styles, and that

comes to packing as well. Personally, I think folks should do what

makes them happy:).....some ladies do pack everything in a carry

on bag. Last year I sailed with a really nice couple from Maryland and

she and her hubby choose to always pack 2 carry on bags, her/him.

They seem to have everything they need. They don't bring any

checked luggage.

I sail on my own and I don't consider myself "an overpacker" but I still

prefer to pack with one checked bag and a carry on. That is what is

what best for me;)......

So, it just depends on you and your priorities. Oh, if that is personal

fun challenge for you? Then give it a try:)

A fun challenge for me? Trying a new drink, new food, new itinerary...etc....LOL

Edited by Lois R

I always thought my husband did not want to do an Alaska cruise....turns out he was dreading me packing in one suitcase as we were always lucky to drive to port. (And bring anything we wanted.)

He told me he does want to go to Alaska....he had been dreading me getting into one suitcase of packing....but our two 12 days Med cruises where I packed in one suitcase and a carry on cured him of his fears...

If we are lucky do do a three-peat next year, adding in Paris and London.....I will NOT BOTHER at all with just a carry-on...I will have a carry-on and a regular suitcase....and manage ot get under weight limits for both...

Bernadette

I did a B2B2B in 2012, when I cruised the Carnival Spirit to Australia. I boarded in Seattle, and did Alaska, Hawaii, and the onto Australia. What a challenge that was packing for cold and hot.

I am headed to Australia again on the Legend in August for 22 days, but thankfully I should be able to pack less this time, since we have so many sea days.

I have never been one to limit myself on packing. I don't necessarily overpack, but I always seem to have a couple of things I don't end up wearing. I just need to have choices. I think I will try Indiana's plan and write down outfits. My downfall is usually accessories, mostly jewelry. I really need to take outfits that I can mix and match.

Debbie

We've done 10 days at Disney with just carry-ons. We each have a 21" rolling suitcase (I loooove my American Tourister Splash) and a backpack (tote for me). I do one load of laundry - I pack 2 tops/1 bottom so had to wash shorts.

For 5 days in Puerto Rico I travelled with just a tote.

For our cruise in Oct I figure it will be just as easy -

- DD and I have enough soft, light dresses for 7 nights. They fold as small as shirts!

- 2 Sea days are swimsuits (2)/cover-up (1).

- 4 Port days are tees (4)/shorts (4).

- Embarkation/debarkation days will be a maxi skirt (1) and tops (2).

- Travel days are jeans (1) and a top (2 but only pack one since I wear one on the way down).

- Comfy outfit 2 tops, 1 bottom

- 2 pjs

- 9 unmentionables ;)

- 2/3 pairs of shoes. Sport sandals for sure but still debating about bringing just one pair of nice wedges that match everything or cute flat sandals that match everything. Might take both since the flats are super light and pack flat.

- denim jacket

- 1 wristlet

- hat

- couple of cute jewelry sets

- meds/toiletries

In my tote I carry cameras (yep, multiple:p), Kindle, snacks, cardigan, small crossbody, glasses and sunglasses, chargers, notebook and folder with all our documents/schedules etc., small hairbrush and what little makeup I use (Chapstick is my lipstick!).

I collect toiletry (and laundry) samples throughout the year to take on trips. But on this one we will stay right across the street from a Publix before our cruise so will buy whatever we need - sunblock, sodas etc.

edit - forgot to add that I also pack a duffle for extra stuff we get while on vacation.

Edited by sirenitas

Not that I could be away from the DS for that long but that sounds exactly like what I'd love to try someday. I'm going to take a look at the itinerary just for fun. Thanks for sharing.;)

Wow, a cruise that takes 180 days! That sounds fascinating. Again, I couldn't see myself being away from the DS for that long just now while he's in college but I've got to check out this itinerary too!:D

Cruise Length Preference - Most responses were for 8 or more nights. I agree that short cruises wouldn't be turned down...but 9-11 nights is ideal:cool:.

LoisR: You said it best! Every CCF packs for her own style. If carry-ons are your favorite, that's the way to go. And if taking multiple pieces of luggage is what you like, that works, tooicon14.gif.

Since there's talk about the 180 day cruise and the 58 RCCL cruise -

QUESTION: Is there a limit to the number of nights you would want to cruise? That's a tough one for me...58, and certainly 180 would be too long. BUT, if DH wanted to book...

We're under 100 hours till we board Grandeur of the Seas. Last minute packing tomorrow - Pedi + Eyebrow Wax today, Mani Thursday. Oh yeah:cool::)!

Cruise Length Preference - Most responses were for 8 or more nights. I agree that short cruises wouldn't be turned down...but 9-11 nights is ideal:cool:.

LoisR: You said it best! Every CCF packs for her own style. If carry-ons are your favorite, that's the way to go. And if taking multiple pieces of luggage is what you like, that works, tooicon14.gif.

QUESTION: Is there a limit to the number of nights you would want to cruise? That's a tough one for me...58, and certainly 180 would be too long. BUT, if DH wanted to book...

We're under 100 hours till we board Grandeur of the Seas. Last minute packing tomorrow - Pedi + Eyebrow Wax today, Mani Thursday. Oh yeah:cool::)!

180 days would be long. May be I worry too much (yes, I do worry to much) but I would be afraid of getting sick away from home. But you can't live in fear of the "what if " I would miss some of my every day life. But a new place each day would be something.

Great question....here is where we all definitely have different lives.

I have no kids and no pets. IF I was retired and had unlimited funds?

I would book a cruise around the world.....however long it takes?

To visit countries I would never otherwise be able to see? 6 months

on a ship for me? Not too long at all.:D

Great question....here is where we all definitely have different lives.

I have no kids and no pets. IF I was retired and had unlimited funds?

I would book a cruise around the world.....however long it takes?

To visit countries I would never otherwise be able to see? 6 months

on a ship for me? Not too long at all.:D

Lois, I agree. I'd have no problem with that long of a cruise were it just the DH and I to consider...I'd love it! But with elderly parents and the DS still in college, it's not an option for us right now. Actually, I don't know that I could ever be away from the DS for that long. The biggest joy in my life and the DH's also, is spending time with the DS whenever possible. He's the light of our life and brings us the most joy. Not to see his smiling face and get to hug him for 180 days...I don't think I'd like that at all. I think I could maybe do 58 days though! LOL!:D

Lois, I agree. I'd have no problem with that long of a cruise were it just the DH and I to consider...I'd love it! But with elderly parents and the DS still in college, it's not an option for us right now. Actually, I don't know that I could ever be away from the DS for that long. The biggest joy in my life and the DH's also, is spending time with the DS whenever possible. He's the light of our life and brings us the most joy. Not to see his smiling face and get to hug him for 180 days...I don't think I'd like that at all. I think I could maybe do 58 days though! LOL!:D

58 days is just under 2 months.....not long to me.;) I have no mate...

so it it just me.

I do have a sister and bil but they would tell me to go for it:)

Indiana. Have a wonderful time!! I love the "Of the Seas" ships!! Don't get on them enough.

Bought a new swim suit in two different sizes. Brought them home to try on again and decide. That is one thing I'm always looking for. I'm ave to short, and I'll admit, overweight. It seems like I travel too much (my kids mostly) and I can't be smart when it comes to restaurant eating. So it seems like I'm always dieting for the "next trip". Since I sail, late August, I must get my Disney lbs off!! I bet I'm not alone in that! Know I'll gain up to 5 lbs on a cruise, I try to take it off before I go!! Oh the problems cruisers have! Lol!

I was reading a food blog earlier and the author said she was "cutting back on calories to prepare for a cruise." Then

sunnydaygirl stated:

I'm always dieting for the "next trip"...and that leads to Another Question:

Do you try/think about dieting for the next trip?

I'm a Get On the Scale at Least Once a Week CCF, so if the number goes up a couple pounds, I cut back on portions.

Keeping Cruise Clothes within eyesight helps, too. Would be sad if those outfits no longer fit:eek:!

Hello Ladies...

I came across your thread today and I must say that I have had a wonderful time reading:) It's great all the things that you discuss.

I am not a "fashionista" really, but I do enjoy cruise planning and all that it entails with clothing choices. I am a hard one...I am short, and a good bit overweight.

I was just thinking today that our next cruise is coming up and that I needed to loose some weight so that I would feel better about myself when we go.

...By the way, I don't think that I would ever get tired of cruising!

Hello Ladies...

I came across your thread today and I must say that I have had a wonderful time reading:) It's great all the things that you discuss.

I am not a "fashionista" really, but I do enjoy cruise planning and all that it entails with clothing choices. I am a hard one...I am short, and a good bit overweight.

I was just thinking today that our next cruise is coming up and that I needed to loose some weight so that I would feel better about myself when we go.

Cruising Camper,

You're not alone...I too am short 5'3' and heavier than I need to be. I'm in the process of getting myself motivated to go back to the gym (haven't been in quite a few years)!:eek: Anyway, while I"m more motivated to lose the weight, because I want to be healthier and not let myself go until I'm actually sick, than I am about the next cruise or vacation...I still would like to lose a couple of vanity pounds. I usually don't let my weight at any point in time get me down. I always try to dress the best for whatever weight I'm at and any given time. That's why I'm on this thread, because I love fashion, I know that by wearing certain things and certain colors...no matter what I weigh...I can still look really chic. Hang around and you'll get some great ideas here and be able to cyber chat with some really nice people.:D

CruisingCamper: Welcome to CCF! As you can see from mousey's response, we are all about looking our best...no matter what size.

A woman in ANY size clothing, who makes thoughtful choices looks so much better than one who dresses in unattractive and inappropriate attire.

Keep coming back...and giving suggestions/opinions, or asking questions.

This is my last post until after The Next Cruise. I WILL make sure there are plenty of Outfits Photos to post:cool::)!

Weather in Baltimore tomorrow could be a bit wet, but temp will be in the 80s. We might have rain throughout the drive, but Cruise Ship - Here We Come!!

CruisingCamper: Welcome to CCF! As you can see from mousey's response, we are all about looking our best...no matter what size.

A woman in ANY size clothing, who makes thoughtful choices looks so much better than one who dresses in unattractive and inappropriate attire.

Keep coming back...and giving suggestions/opinions, or asking questions.

This is my last post until after The Next Cruise. I WILL make sure there are plenty of Outfits Photos to post:cool::)!

Weather in Baltimore tomorrow could be a bit wet, but temp will be in the 80s. We might have rain throughout the drive, but Cruise Ship - Here We Come!!

Have a great cruise. I will be waiting to see your pictures. Enjoy your self.

Hello Ladies...

Welcome to the thread. I just try to wear outfits that fit right. I believe that fit is very important.

In case any of you are traveling Carnival, they're having a great gift card promo. Buy over $200 value and get a second card to use as OBC for 10% of value. 200=$20. $800=$80. Use to pay off cruise and then buy a drink or massage!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app