Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

No long weekend for us here in the U.S. what's the holiday there?

Here in Los Angeles the heat is on with high summer temps:(

Basically, it is just an excuse for a midsummer holiday. This gives us one holiday a month for our good weather months. :)

The Civic Holiday is celebrated on the first Monday of August and it's a public holiday in some provinces and territories. It is known by many names in different provinces and municipalities. It's called Regatta Day in Newfoundland, Saskatchewan Day in SK, British Columbia Day in BC, Natal Day in Nova Scotia and PEI, Simcoe Day in Toronto, New Brunswick Day in New Brunswick, Colonel By Day in Ottawa, Heritage Day in Alberta and Joseph Brant Day in Burlington, ON. It is called Benjamin Vaughan day in the City of Vaughan, Ontario.

The Civic Holiday is commonly referred to as the August long weekend. It is probably the busiest day on highways as tens of thousands of families go camping, to cottages etc this weekend. If you can, take Friday off and leave for your holiday on Friday morning or Thursday night and come back Sunday morning or early afternoon to avoid mile-long traffic jams on Monday.

Correction sent in by a visitor: Civic Holiday is not called "Simcoe Day" everywhere in Ontario, only in Toronto. Each municipality that opts to declare the holiday can give it a unique name. It's called the "civic" holiday because it's the holiday that cities have authority to declare.

That's cool..our next 3 day weekend holiday here is Labor day ( Sept 1st)

Basically, it is just an excuse for a midsummer holiday. This gives us one holiday a month for our good weather months. :)

The Civic Holiday is celebrated on the first Monday of August and it's a public holiday in some provinces and territories. It is known by many names in different provinces and municipalities. It's called Regatta Day in Newfoundland, Saskatchewan Day in SK, British Columbia Day in BC, Natal Day in Nova Scotia and PEI, Simcoe Day in Toronto, New Brunswick Day in New Brunswick, Colonel By Day in Ottawa, Heritage Day in Alberta and Joseph Brant Day in Burlington, ON. It is called Benjamin Vaughan day in the City of Vaughan, Ontario.

The Civic Holiday is commonly referred to as the August long weekend. It is probably the busiest day on highways as tens of thousands of families go camping, to cottages etc this weekend. If you can, take Friday off and leave for your holiday on Friday morning or Thursday night and come back Sunday morning or early afternoon to avoid mile-long traffic jams on Monday.

Correction sent in by a visitor: Civic Holiday is not called "Simcoe Day" everywhere in Ontario, only in Toronto. Each municipality that opts to declare the holiday can give it a unique name. It's called the "civic" holiday because it's the holiday that cities have authority to declare.

I have decided to challenge myself to create some jewelrey pieces for our Christmas cruise to work my outfits around! !

Mind you, I USED to bead years ago for fun, but got quite ill and lost my fine motor skills & concentration to do any of my art. I'm just now attempting to tackle it (despite occasional shaky hands lol!) .

This way I get back in the saddle with something I love (it's soooo not hard ladies, highly recommend a class!!) , it will REALLY help pass the time between now & the cruise, & I get custom designed jewelrey for the trip! Here's the beaded collar necklace I'm working on right now (not quite done yet)

uploadfromtaptalk1407061732189.jpg.6c3b2950e512a036dc86809dc90af6d0.jpg

Wow! Feels like forever since my last post! More than a week ago Family Vacation began and went at full speed until Saturday. DH & I cleaned and tidied and return to the Main House yesterday (Sunday). Whew!! Family time is precious and not nearly often enough:o!

Reading through recent posts, many of you are wondering what happened to summer...that's exactly what we wanted to know! Most of the outfits I took are still hanging, unworn:eek:! Temps were in the 60s and low 70s most of the week. The two DDLs and I went to a consignment shop to buy anything with long sleeves!

BTW - a fabulous consignment shop!! I found a PERFECT Cruise Worthy skirt - brand is "Heart Soul" (never heard of it before). There's a white background with :eek:green & pink flipflops, pink flowers and green palm trees. It needs taken in (a little too big). After my alterations queen makes it fit, I will post a photo.

"Staging Day" is another term that I will use:cool:! So...after my Menu is complete, Staging Day will be part of The Process. The hard part is...Next Cruise is more than 100 days away!!!!

Laughed out loud today when I realized a screen name was "no tan lines Lizz"...kept trying to figure out "not an lines" meant...oh boy, brain needs a little sharpening:rolleyes:!

Anyway - all of you have a cruise in the near future, keep posting to help those of us Long Waiters feed our inner fashionista!

Oh thank you Debbie!! I don't know if it's talent or just perseverance I need something to keep me occupied or I go crazy!! Lol

I'll teach you to bead if you like it when we meet up!! "Cruise beading" lol

Sounds like a plan :)

Debbie

I have decided to challenge myself to create some jewelrey pieces for our Christmas cruise to work my outfits around! !

Mind you, I USED to bead years ago for fun, but got quite ill and lost my fine motor skills & concentration to do any of my art. I'm just now attempting to tackle it (despite occasional shaky hands lol!) .

This way I get back in the saddle with something I love (it's soooo not hard ladies, highly recommend a class!!) , it will REALLY help pass the time between now & the cruise, & I get custom designed jewelrey for the trip! Here's the beaded collar necklace I'm working on right now (not quite done yet)

[ATTACH]320988[/ATTACH]

I just love the beaded collar necklace. You have lots of talent.

Thank you very very much, it means a lot.. Been a while since I beaded and felt kinda rusty! I was pretty tickled today when I pulled the last stitch, and have a few larger beads left to make matching earrings!

I was serious about arranging a beading class on board with you guys if we're ever on the same cruise!! Wouldn't that be a hoot?!! I've taught lots of my friends who's last words were "oh, I could never do that!" Lol!!!

Hi everyone!! Back home after, what seems like whirlwind tour. Was thrilled with a outlet mall stop and a regular mall in Louisville. We had such a good time. We did the Urban Bourbon Trail(what that means is bar hopping!) lots of good food too. Now with 19 days to go I'm buckling down. Rode my bike today and counted calories. I'm determined that will be my daily routine, except for my birthday, Wednesday. Meetin 2 of my cruising buddy's for a pre-cruise get together at Michigan City Prime Outlet Mall. I threw my favorite MDR shoes out and am going crazy trying to replace!! Bought a new top that I love but I wore it:) so when I'm packing I'll take a picture. Lots to do, so excited it's so close!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thank you very very much, it means a lot.. Been a while since I beaded and felt kinda rusty! I was pretty tickled today when I pulled the last stitch, and have a few larger beads left to make matching earrings!

I was serious about arranging a beading class on board with you guys if we're ever on the same cruise!! Wouldn't that be a hoot?!! I've taught lots of my friends who's last words were "oh, I could never do that!" Lol!!!

Love your necklace and that you got so much enjoyment making it. Keep it up. My DD loved making her DD Princess dresses so much she now does special orders. She's made several Elsa "frozen Dresses" yours are good enough to sell!!

Hi everyone!! Back home after, what seems like whirlwind tour. Was thrilled with a outlet mall stop and a regular mall in Louisville. We had such a good time. We did the Urban Bourbon Trail(what that means is bar hopping!) lots of good food too. Now with 19 days to go I'm buckling down. Rode my bike today and counted calories. I'm determined that will be my daily routine, except for my birthday, Wednesday. Meetin 2 of my cruising buddy's for a pre-cruise get together at Michigan City Prime Outlet Mall. I threw my favorite MDR shoes out and am going crazy trying to replace!! Bought a new top that I love but I wore it:) so when I'm packing I'll take a picture. Lots to do, so excited it's so close!

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip and found some great buys. Now all you need is shoes! Have a Happy Birthday.

Wow! Feels like forever since my last post! More than a week ago Family Vacation began and went at full speed until Saturday. DH & I cleaned and tidied and return to the Main House yesterday (Sunday). Whew!! Family time is precious and not nearly often enough:o!

Reading through recent posts, many of you are wondering what happened to summer...that's exactly what we wanted to know! Most of the outfits I took are still hanging, unworn:eek:! Temps were in the 60s and low 70s most of the week. The two DDLs and I went to a consignment shop to buy anything with long sleeves!

BTW - a fabulous consignment shop!! I found a PERFECT Cruise Worthy skirt - brand is "Heart Soul" (never heard of it before). There's a white background with :eek:green & pink flipflops, pink flowers and green palm trees. It needs taken in (a little too big). After my alterations queen makes it fit, I will post a photo.

"Staging Day" is another term that I will use:cool:! So...after my Menu is complete, Staging Day will be part of The Process. The hard part is...Next Cruise is more than 100 days away!!!!

Laughed out loud today when I realized a screen name was "no tan lines Lizz"...kept trying to figure out "not an lines" meant...oh boy, brain needs a little sharpening:rolleyes:!

Anyway - all of you have a cruise in the near future, keep posting to help those of us Long Waiters feed our inner fashionista!

Welcome back from the lake. Like you I move between two home (but only twice a year) I find that the moving and cleaning is getting to me. Your Cruise Worthy skirt sounds just perfect . Looking forward to pictures.

Thank you so much for all the very kind compliments on my necklace!! Welcome back Sunnydaygirl, sounds like you had a fabulous time!! Oh I remember what those butterflies feel like when it gets so close!! Like being a little kid at Christmas being a couple days away!!!!

Enjoy every minute of this pre-cruise time, to me it's all part of the vacation & the fun!!!

[emoji151][emoji168][emoji160][emoji182]

sunndaygirl: Sounds like you have been having lots of CCF fun:)! All CCFs enjoy shopping, bar hopping, all those happy activities...and once we return home, it's nice to have some nesting time before the next adventure:cool:!

geocruiser: We go back and forth between houses from mid-March to mid-November. There are times when it gets frustrating (like ordering online & not knowing which address is most likely to work...). Having duplicates of cosmetics, computer access, washer, dryer all help.

Remember when computers were only desktops??? Yikes! And telephones were only landlines???? Oh boy, my age is showing....;)

sunndaygirl: Sounds like you have been having lots of CCF fun:)! All CCFs enjoy shopping, bar hopping, all those happy activities...and once we return home, it's nice to have some nesting time before the next adventure:cool:!

geocruiser: We go back and forth between houses from mid-March to mid-November. There are times when it gets frustrating (like ordering online & not knowing which address is most likely to work...). Having duplicates of cosmetics, computer access, washer, dryer all help.

Remember when computers were only desktops??? Yikes! And telephones were only landlines???? Oh boy, my age is showing....;)

With me it is the open and closing up of each house. I have to get rid of all food, and do some packing. Some unpacking and lots of cleaning up once we get there. How a home get so dusty with no one living there is beyond me. But, I go through every thing including moving furniture and washing all the kitchen stuff and bedding. Fl is the home to many bugs etc. and I just make sure there are none in my. home. I have a full condo with duplicates of everything except washer and dryer. But the condo has 12 of each for our use. But I would rather live in Florida year round and keep jumping on those last minute Fl. cruise deals.