Cruise Critic Community
indiana71

Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

That is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I also enjoy choosing outfits and packing for a cruise, I'm running into new territory with my upcoming cruise. While the ship and company aren't new to me(Celebrity Summit), the itinerary, length of cruise and many of the locations are. It's a 14 day Canada/New England itinerary and it's during late September/early October(exactly 68 days, yahoo!). I'm a lifelong East Coast dweller(NJ), so I already know what a crapshoot this time of year can be in Boston(quite similar to where I live and just as unpredictable in the grey area of early fall, it can still feel like summer!), it's Maine and Nova Scotia that are my unknowns because I'm so used to packing for cruising in the tropics and it will be my first time visiting the upper Northeast coast. I have a feeling the days will still be warm most of the time, but the nights will be cooler.

So far, I will definitely be packing at least one jacket(either a fleece moto style from Samantha Brown's collection or a fleece moto style from Isaac Mizrahi's QVC line)and one or two cardigans along with both long and short sleeved t-shirts, ankle length pants, one pair of dark wash jeans, skirts, and dresses with 3/4 sleeves. Any tips from y'all who have done this itinerary during this time of year in the past would be gratefully appreciated. I'm just happy I'm driving to the port and don't need to stress over being over weight in my packing!:D:')

While I also enjoy choosing outfits and packing for a cruise, I'm running into new territory with my upcoming cruise. While the ship and company aren't new to me(Celebrity Summit), the itinerary, length of cruise and many of the locations are. It's a 14 day Canada/New England itinerary and it's during late September/early October(exactly 68 days, yahoo!). I'm a lifelong East Coast dweller(NJ), so I already know what a crapshoot this time of year can be in Boston(quite similar to where I live and just as unpredictable in the grey area of early fall, it can still feel like summer!), it's Maine and Nova Scotia that are my unknowns because I'm so used to packing for cruising in the tropics and it will be my first time visiting the upper Northeast coast. I have a feeling the days will still be warm most of the time, but the nights will be cooler.

So far, I will definitely be packing at least one jacket(either a fleece moto style from Samantha Brown's collection or a fleece moto style from Isaac Mizrahi's QVC line)and one or two cardigans along with both long and short sleeved t-shirts, ankle length pants, one pair of dark wash jeans, skirts, and dresses with 3/4 sleeves. Any tips from y'all who have done this itinerary during this time of year in the past would be gratefully appreciated. I'm just happy I'm driving to the port and don't need to stress over being over weight in my packing!:D:')

That sounds amazing! I would definitely recommend light layers. A waterproof jacket?

I have a lightweight fleece from Northface and love it. Leggings would be on my list too. And stretchy jeans! I love mine!

That sounds amazing! I would definitely recommend light layers. A waterproof jacket?

I have a lightweight fleece from Northface and love it. Leggings would be on my list too. And stretchy jeans! I love mine!

Oh the jeans will definitely have stretch, one of the best things ever was when they added spandex to denim(I was an 80s teen, I remember! :D:')). Huge fan of Diane Gilman's DG2 denim on HSN and Old Navy's Rockstar denim, and I bought a pair of DG2 faux suede leggings that I am definitely packing(very nice for dinner with a tunic top and wedge heels), I am super picky about leggings; thank you for reminding me about including them, I love those leggings!

Waterproof hooded jacket with your fleece layer will take care of you. I always pack Goretex or SmartWool socks (my feet freeze) & a pair of CuddleDuds (they double as pjs if you don't need them for a layer). Cardigans? Maybe one. If I need more, I'll just buy a sweatshirt in one of the ports

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done the Canadian/New England cruise 5 times. The coldest one we did was on 8/5. It was so cold and wet. The ones we did in Oct. we had nice weather most days. I have used gloves and, hat and a scarf at times too.

I was waffling about it, but now I will definitely pack my super cute black rain ankle boots! Socks are a given, I even pack a pair or two when going to the Caribbean(my feet get cold easily on board, and I used them as slippers walking around the room), and I am looking at a packable waterproof jacket right now. Thanks to you all for your very helpful tips!

Cocobakerchica, Athleta has some great jackets on their semiannual sale (going on right now

I told my daughter I'm ready to get rid of almost a full closet of clothes. They're too small:( but I've been hanging on to them with hope. She said I never pay full price for any of them! I can buy new if I'm successful in losing weight after my surgery.

So sale is my middle name!

Yes, it's me, indiana71! I'm so pleased to come back to CCF after more than a year!

Just a quick explanation for my absence: It was all about building and moving to our new home at the lake, selling the Big House; and now all of that is in the past, it's definitely time to reconnect on this thread:cool:!

We have never given up cruising!!! The Next Cruise is in January on Grandeur of the Seas, and then a Family Cruise in June:D.

There are 2 great consignment shops nearby and a thrift shop that has had some fun stuff (with proceeds going to an animal shelter.)

Since I'm using a different search engine, I will try to post some photos of outfits soon. My Next Try0n Day is coming up....lots of dresses that are Cruise Worthy and some of them haven't been on a cruise. I'm going to try Every One of Them on and evaluate.

Meanwhile, going back and reading pages of posts will fill an afternoon, for sure! So nice to see familiar names and also to see that CCF is going strong!!!

Nancy, welcome back. Wondered where you were. Glad to see you have time to return to 'your' thread😜

Yes, it's me, indiana71! I'm so pleased to come back to CCF after more than a year!

Just a quick explanation for my absence: It was all about building and moving to our new home at the lake, selling the Big House; and now all of that is in the past, it's definitely time to reconnect on this thread:cool:!

We have never given up cruising!!! The Next Cruise is in January on Grandeur of the Seas, and then a Family Cruise in June:D.

There are 2 great consignment shops nearby and a thrift shop that has had some fun stuff (with proceeds going to an animal shelter.)

Since I'm using a different search engine, I will try to post some photos of outfits soon. My Next Try0n Day is coming up....lots of dresses that are Cruise Worthy and some of them haven't been on a cruise. I'm going to try Every One of Them on and evaluate.

Meanwhile, going back and reading pages of posts will fill an afternoon, for sure! So nice to see familiar names and also to see that CCF is going strong!!!

Nancy,

Welcome back to your thread. Happy to hear that you made your move. I know that had to be hard, to build a home and then move. Glad to see that you are still cruising.

Moving is so hard. I do a snowbird more two times a year, down south and back up north. And that only is a trunk full of stuff (which we really don't need). but opening up the place and getting in food take a while. But moving a whole hose of stuff, now that is work. We were luck this year with the Irma, she only took some of the carports in our complex, mine was one of the. But our house is fine.

getPart?uid=30105827&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=21462327_10213678357574186_2571262126809247355_n+%282%29.jpggetPart?uid=30105827&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=21462327_10213678357574186_2571262126809247355_n+%282%29.jpg

enhance

enhance

Welcome back! You've been missed

geocruiser--Oh my! Is that red building the car ports. Terrible damage. Glad you and your home are safe.

Yes, it is the carports. What happened was a tornado hit our complex. 25 feet from my unit ,the roof was ripped off another two units. The car ports were lifted up and moved back about 20 feet and slammed into the condo building behind it. We just got electric back on Monday. We are very lucky. People have lost everything.

we just lost a carport.

enhance

enhance

Yes, it is the carports. What happened was a tornado hit our complex. 25 feet from my unit ,the roof was ripped off another two units. The car ports were lifted up and moved back about 20 feet and slammed into the condo building behind it. We just got electric back on Monday. We are very lucky. People have lost everything.

we just lost a carport.

enhance

enhance

So very glad you survivedwith damage you can live with. Such an experience wasn't on my bucket list. But I found myself spending the night on a twin mattress with daughter and sil. They on queen mattress. Lost some screens,a tree and a few bushes that may survive being tilted.

I flew home on Thursday after, as soon as ft Myers airport opens. My clothes are all still there, so back I go in 2 weeks for cruise.

So relieved to hear that CFFs from FL who have posted didn't have serious damage. Never watched the weather channel so much...Texas, then Florida and Caribbean have been in our thoughts and prayers.

Cruising will change for many of us, at least for several weeks or maybe months... All the places hit by hurricanes need cruise ships and tourists to help with rebuilding economy and country.

Even though this is the first day of autumn, Mother Nature is continuing to give us summerlike temps...so I will take advantage of that the next couple days and try on some Cruise Clothes - ones that haven't been chosen for awhile.

Will take photos with my phone and hope to post. Next Cruise is little more than 100 days away...a little TOO early to actually put outfits together, but preliminary planning can't hurt:cool:!

BTW - our Last Cruise was in late April. DH wanted to be on that first cruise ship to Cuba. We flew to Tampa (beautiful city!!) and boarded Empress of the Seas, smallest ship in the RCI fleet. It was a wonderful experience -all of it. The ship had lots of Cuban influence and Havana was delightful and interesting - also sad to see some of the buildings unoccupied and unsafe for years.

Even though I've been away from here, the CCF mindset didn't go away. So of course, I paid attention to the Cuban attire. The women wore lots of bright happy colors.

So very glad you survivedwith damage you can live with. Such an experience wasn't on my bucket list. But I found myself spending the night on a twin mattress with daughter and sil. They on queen mattress. Lost some screens,a tree and a few bushes that may survive being tilted.

I flew home on Thursday after, as soon as ft Myers airport opens. My clothes are all still there, so back I go in 2 weeks for cruise.

I am glad that you made it through the hurricane. Our complex all ready fixed the units that the roofs got blown off. The carports have been removed. They are working on the removal of the vegetation and minor fixing up. We also lost shutters. Our front door lock could not be open. The rain got into it, even tho we had a storm door!

This storm has ruined the lives of so many people in the islands. It is so sad. I just can't believe what happen there.

Welcome back Nancy, you were really missed. We are so glad you are back.

So glad everyone in the hurricane ravaged areas are doing ok and the damage they had wasn't any worse than it was.

Well our next cruise is in 69 days but we leave here in 60 days to fly to Miami and the then next day to Venice Italy. We will be sailing on the brand new MSC Seaside and bringing her home for her Christening.

I have all my outfits picked and am all packed and have most of my DH's outfits packed. At least all of his casual and dress clothes. He still needs to give me his day clothes. We actually had to mail some of our things to Italy already to a friends house. May need to mail another box or 2 but with them living on a Military installation we get to use the flat rate boxes which helps a lot.

The weather here in Yuma is starting to cool down a little so it is really nice. Now maybe I will feel like doing my fall cleaning and pitching that needs to be done so badly.

Have a great day everyone,

Gerry

I am glad that you made it through the hurricane. Our complex all ready fixed the units that the roofs got blown off. The carports have been removed. They are working on the removal of the vegetation and minor fixing up. We also lost shutters. Our front door lock could not be open. The rain got into it, even tho we had a storm door!

This storm has ruined the lives of so many people in the islands. It is so sad. I just can't believe what happen there.

it's so sad. Saw videos of San Juan. I hope the old buildings survived. It's such a beautiful city.

I agree that the ports and cruising should come back soon to help the rebuilding of their homes and towns.

So pleased to see familiar screen names. Love it that this is continuing to be a fun and friendly thread:).

QUESTION: Do you use department store, higher end, cosmetics or do you go to the drug store/Target-type stores?

I have switched from "high end" moisturizer & serum to L'Oréal & Olay products that so far, work the same as more expensive ones. Nothing has replaced the Elizabeth Arden foundation. My lipsticks go from inexpensive to pricey and are all good.

When we were building the New House and maintaining the Big House, I decided to explore lower cost cosmetics. Now I'm curious to hear what other CCFs do.

BTW: It is difficult to think about The Next Cruise without facing the reality of the devastation in the Caribbean. I am proud of what Royal Caribbean has done in the recovery effort. Although the joy of visiting those ports of call has been taken away for the moment (and in many cases, much longer), we look forward to returning and spending tourist $$ whenever that becomes possible.

My dermatologist told me Oil of Olay Regenerist & 7 are excellent products, better than high priced. Also, Ceravae lotion (& sunscreen) are wonderful (they are a bit pricey). I'm sticking with my Estée Lauder Daywear (tinted moisturizer), but now it's over the Oil of Olay

We leave for 14 nights in southern Caribbean in 2 months. Celebrity sent us a changed itinerary yesterday, removing St Maarten & replacing it with St Kitts

My dermatologist also told me Oil of Olay Regenerist. I think I might give it a try now.

Our cruises have not sent us any notice about changing ports. We cruise on 12/10/17, 1/8/18 & 3/4/18. All three on Regal Princess going to St Thomas, St Maarten and Princess Cay. No change yet.

It is wonderful that RCCL, NCL and CCL were able to help in the recovery efforts. Not many cruise lines had ships in the Caribbean at this time of year. Most are in Europe, Alaska & Canada this time of year. I do hope that all cruise line that will be in the Caribbean during the fall, winter & spring will drop off supplies as they pass those islands in need.