Questions on the Azamara Quest

patatie

We are considering taking a cruise on Azamara Quest on 4th Jan 2012, from Singapore to Hong Kong, but we had a few questions and would be grateful for any help!

1. Is there dancing in the evenings? As in ballroom or latin style dancing (the kind you get on most cruises). What are the dancefloors like, are they large?

2. IS there more than one band/dance venue, and are different types of music being played in each venue?

3. I have read a few reviews saying that the bathrooms are very small. Are they practical (would they be practical for a 4 person room, or is that really pushing it)?

4. How would it compare to the Holland America MS Zaandam? (At the moment we are tossing up between these two...main deciding factors will be choosing the date (Zaandam sails over Christmas and NYE) and the quality of the ship, as both are roughly the same price)?

5. Just wanted to confirm (for those who have done the same cruise on the same route) that there were free transfers to and from the ship? Some of the things I read suggested that shuttles are all free, others have suggested that only some shuttles are free.

6. For those who have done the same itinerary, how far from Bangkok does the ship dock?

7. What are the "free inclusions"? So far I know they are wine, bottled water, juice....

8. What are the shore excursions like (price wise) compared to organising your own tours?

Hope to hear some replies soon - and thanks so much in advance!!!!

3. I have read a few reviews saying that the bathrooms are very small. Are they practical (would they be practical for a 4 person room, or is that really pushing it)?

That would be pushing it. I did not think that Azamara has quads. Do they? If these are 4 adults you needs two staterooms.

6. For those who have done the same itinerary, how far from Bangkok does the ship dock?

8. What are the shore excursions like (price wise) compared to organising your own tours?

Hope to hear some replies soon - and thanks so much in advance!!!!

We did this itinerary last year, but from Hong Kong to Singapore. It was fantastic. Quest docks right in Bangkok. I believe HAL docks far away (unless there have been changes).

Note that the port is very industrial and would be a long walk to the exit. I don't know anything about the shuttles as they were not included a year ago. But, we did all private tours in Thailand, so we had pick-ups right at the inside gate. Taxi's are so cheap in Thailand that whether or not Azamara has a free transfer/shuttle should not be a deciding factor on which cruise line to pick. This would, however, be the perfect port to include a free shuttle.

As far as pricing on Shore Excursions, Azamara/Celebrity/RCCL have always had reasonable pricing compared to HAL. HAL/Carnival excursions have always been approx 25% more expensive. We did two tours with Azamara. I can tell you the tour guides in Singapore are very professional, and we did the tour and transfer to the airport at the end of our cruise and got more than we expected.

HAL standard staterooms are larger than those on Quest.

You may find this link useful:

and the following is about Journey but describes the dancing available if you scroll down to post 26:

We are on the cruise starting 19th February and I will be posting a review on our return.

Sue

Thankyou all for your superfast replies!!!

I probably should have explained that the HAL cruise is a complete different itinerary. But similar in price.

Our TA gave us a price for quad share...though we later discovered that this actually works out more per person than twin share!

RE the dancing, it doesn't sound much like other cruises we have been on in the past, where a lounge playing dancing music has been open til midnight or beyond...please correct me if I'm wrong?

Apologies, I cannot comment because we were usually the last to leave the restaurants each night and were not looking for dancing!

Sue

Thankyou all for your superfast replies!!!

Our TA gave us a price for quad share...though we later discovered that this actually works out more per person than twin share!

Hi Patatie !

Good to hear. As long as the pricing is close, or in your favor, I'd absolutely suggest booking 2 cabins. 4 folks in 1 cabin seems you would be pushing it. Enjoy your Cruise !

It is a small ship but the Looking Glass Lounge has a dance floor and the first night we were having a CC meet there when the band and dancing started up. We too ate late and did not look for dancing but for sure they have some.

There are not free transfers at the beginning and end of the cruise. They say there are free shuttles where offered.

Other things included besides what you mentioned are gratuities and specialty coffees.

Shore excursions I have found are always more than private, but there are 50% off being promoted on some sailings right now.

Archived