Zip Lines in the Forest?

nujoyzgirl

• 2 weeks later...
For everyone that is considering going on a zip-line tour through the canopy. There are usually lockers available for you to put your personal belongings in, ie: camera, sweater, etc. I wouldn't suggest you take your camera with you, although I have seen a few people do it. If you must, take a disposable camera, not your digital or camcorder. That way, if you drop it you won't be kicking yourself for stupidity. There is no way you'll be able to stop, go down and get it! I have done this tour with cruise group (DH is afraid of heights) and it is not for those not in good shape or afraid of heights! There is walking back involved, and you are really high up! I never felt unsafe though, the guides ensured that the equipment is securely on. I'm really glad I went - you get a great sense of accomplishment when you get back on the ground! If you have any back, shoulder or neck problems, don't go! You have to keep your right arm up and behind you to stop.

Does anyone know if you can use your left arm (for left-handed people) or only your right arm?

As I recall, you put the glove on your dominant hand. My family is all right handed, but it seems that there were a few that needed the left handed glove. I hope someone can give you a more certain answer, though. Your gloved hand always holds the cables to stop yourself on the ziplines. Otherwise, you are using both hands on the other obstacles.

I really want to do this as we missed it in both Costa Rica and Mexico. The ONE thing I am really concerned about is in the other locations it seemed there were guides at every tree securing your harness. Do I understand here there aren't guides on each platform to ensure you're properly secured to each line before you zip?

There were guides onthe platforms in the beginning until you became comfortable, and then they were just on the ground in various places to help if needed. We all kind of watched out for each other after we got the hang of it and made sure the person in front of us was attached properly. I felt safe and no one had any accidents. There were even some young kids with their parents in our group.

I did the zip-line "Canopy" tour in Puerto Vallarta when I went on a girls-only trip, and my boys were so jealous when I returned that I wouldn't dream of them missing it when we cruise RCCI in December! They'll be 12 and 15, and I know they'll have a blast if it's anything like P.V.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done both locations and could compare (I know, I could be waiting awhile)... It sounds like the Loterie Farm location has more variety in the methods of getting from tree to tree - not just all straight zip lines.

When we did it in P.V., we had 2 or 3 guides with us on every platform to help with hooking up gear, plus the videographer. Yes, we bought the video of the whole excursion, which is pretty cool because you see yourself screaming and smiling madly while zipping along the line right up to the camera. :eek:

I'm really surprised to hear that at Loterie Farm you take care of your own hook-up ... they were adamant about only the guides being responsible in P.V. Must be an insurance/liability issue. I'm not feeling too worried about us taking care of it ourselves - as long as the gear is all in decent shape.

Karen

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if they truley have a weight limit on this excursion? I'm 270 pretty active guy will probably be down to 260 by the cruise but have heard of a 250lb limit. ANyone with recent experience on this would be helpfull to hear your response.

Thanks

Shane

Does anyone know if they truley have a weight limit on this excursion? I'm 270 pretty active guy will probably be down to 260 by the cruise but have heard of a 250lb limit. ANyone with recent experience on this would be helpfull to hear your response.

Thanks

Shane

We visited Loterie Farm and did the Zip-Lines a couple of weeks ago. It was one of the highlights of our trip! Lots of fun, but it IS physically quite demanding. They did not mention a weight restriction to us, but I could see that as being a safety issue. You really need to exert yourself a lot, and it is very HOT, so gets the heart-rate going! All that being said, if you are in reasonable shape you can do it. I would highly recommend to anyone who is not afraid of heights. (there was a lady in front of us who was quite scared and I am not sure she found it very fun). We took a taxi there from the port, but check before you leave because our driver was not entirely sure where it was, so we had to check with other drivers to find the way.

LeslieW,

Did you go to the zip lines on your own or with an excursion?

Did you make reservations?

We'll be in St. Martin Dec. 22 and would very much like to do the ziplines - we're sailing Carnival and don't think they'll be any RCCL ships in port that day!

Thanks in advance!

I know they say 250 in the documents but I recall that they gave me a different weight number when I called. I was actually asking them a different question but they mentioned the weight and I remember thinking that the number they told me was higher than what I had read on the RCCL excursion website. It might be worth a call to them to find out. My husband and 2 sons are signed up for this excursion on Nov. 21st but you may be traveling before we return so our first hand account may not be timely enough for you. My husband is also concerned about the weight limit....he is on stairmaster trying to make sure he is ready for the zip line!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Adventure of the Seas Jan.2 and would like to do the zip lines, but the cuise excursion seems to be full. I have read the postings, but would like to know of anyone's experiences this fall so I can do some planning and try to get my 17 yo daughter and her friend on the "trail". We are experienced travelers and like doing things ourselves. Thanks!!

Read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=144962&page=2

It shows taxi prices etc.

I like doing things by ourselves as well. I think we will jump off the ship, grab a taxi and head out and hope for the best. Figure by the time they load 50 people on each bus we should be there and try to get into a group ahead of the cruise ship.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from sailing on the Serenade...my husband and 2 sons (14 and 11) did the Zip Line and it was definitely the highlight of their trip. They said it was challenging (quite a work out) but was very fun. They said it was not for those who are out of shape or do not like heights.....anyone need info?

We just returned from sailing on the Serenade...my husband and 2 sons (14 and 11) did the Zip Line and it was definitely the highlight of their trip. They said it was challenging (quite a work out) but was very fun. They said it was not for those who are out of shape or do not like heights.....anyone need info?
My daughter and I did it with your boys...It was a fantastic excursion. We were drenched in sweat by the time we finished the tour. Definitely not for those who don't like heights, and you do need to be in pretty fair condition to do it.

Did anyone do it on your own or were you on a shore excursion through the ship? The girls are very anxious to do this. Thanks!!

We did it through the ship (Radiance of the Seas). We were on the waiting list and didn't get it booked until the night before. Because of this, we were thinking about going on our own. I asked the tour guide if we could have done this and she indicated that since we were on Royal Caribbean, we would not have been allowed to participate unless we booked through the ship. They currently have an exclusivity contract with RCI, but I know she specifically said that they don't with Disney, Carnival, or Princess. So, if you are on one of those lines, you should be able to go on your own.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone done this tour on their own this year.....I read in past post that in 2006 their would be many more contract with cruiselines. I will be on Disney and will need to arrange this on my own and wonder if they still except private reservations. Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

We are a family of 4 and would love to do this while in St. Martin. My concern is that there will be 5 ships there that day, and if even a few of them offer the excursion will they let others participate. Our ship, the Westerdam, offers something called "Hidden Forest Adventure Hike & French Merigot" for $59. It mentions Loterie Farm, but it sounds more like a 1 hour hike through the forest, nothing mentioned about a zip line or a "course". I guess if we left right away and just took a taxi over, we would find out if they would let us on. Hate to waste the time we have there, and not be able to do it. Any thoughts?

Archived