Arriving in Southampton on Royal Wedding Day

We're interested in a cruise that debarks on April 29 in Southampton, the day of the royal wedding. Does this sound like a crazy idea? Will it be a logistic nightmare to go anywhere around that date?

We'd like to spend an extra 1-3 days in England, and while we'd like to see London, it's not a must (I wouldn't consider going on 'that day'). We would enjoy touring around some of the countryside as well.

Any advice, especially as to places to stay near Southampton and possible tour sites would be appreciated.

We're interested in a cruise that debarks on April 29 in Southampton, the day of the royal wedding. Does this sound like a crazy idea? Will it be a logistic nightmare to go anywhere around that date?

We'd like to spend an extra 1-3 days in England, and while we'd like to see London, it's not a must (I wouldn't consider going on 'that day'). We would enjoy touring around some of the countryside as well.

Any advice, especially as to places to stay near Southampton and possible tour sites would be appreciated.

The sights of London wouldn't be a wise idea on "that" day.

A day or two elsewhere, followed by a day or two in central London, should be OK.

Before considering where to stay, you need to consider where you'd like to visit - and whether you plan to rent a car or use the trains.

Southampton isn't a tourist city, it can be a good base for touring, or there may be more convenient bases depending where you want to visit.

Consider these popular places, which I've listed in an arc around Southampton, google them & see what you think (car required except where train is quoted):

west: New Forest/Poole Harbour/Corfe Castle, or a little further to the Jurassic coast (Lulworth Bay, Durdle Door, Weymouth, Dorchester, West Bay, Lyme Regis).

north-west: Salisbury/Stonehenge (train & ho-ho) or Glastonbury/Wells/Cheddar or Bath (train)

north: Oxford (train) or further north to Cotswolds/Stratford-upon-Avon

north-east: Windsor (near Heathrow airport)

east: Portsmouth/Southsea (train) or Chichester/Brighton (train)

south: Isle of Wight (easiest ferries from Southampton or Portsmouth)

Do you have any particular hobbies or interests?

John Bull

Thanks. I'm a real Anglophile and love all things British--I love both Ancient and Medievel English history, especially very early history, I'm a big fan of many English authors so the landscapes, towns, famous and ancient sites, etc. are all familiar by reading about them.

Since we'll probably only be there about 3 days my thoughts tend toward the Stonehenge and Bath area, but really, I'll be thrilled with anything. We'd probably try to use trains and buses (we used the Natl. Express bus previously) and find a central town to tour out of.

We're not big on cities anyway, so though London is a must sometime, I'd rather see the countryside anyway.

We spent 1 (only one!) day touring Dover and surrounding countryside and overnighted in Canterbury after a cruise two years ago. It was one of my favorite travel memories, helped by superb weather and a great driver/guide.

Wife and I are arriving on wedding day. Celebrity Eclipse. We will avoid the mess in London.

If I had 2 or 3 days I'd rent a car and head up the road...very short distances...to Winchester and Salisbury. Two great cities with astounding cathedrals.They are peaceful towns, very easy to get around. Nearby Stonehenge is almost a must (early morning or evening to avoid crowds).

The wedding day, April 29th, is a bank holiday. This means car rentals at the Southampton Pier are closed that day. A few miles away is the Southampton airport where rental is open. I would suggest renting before you leave the U.S. I got the best deal through the American Express travel site. If you aren't used to driving on the left side it can be quite a challenge at first. And if the rental doesn't say "automatic transmission", it's not. Unlike the U.S. they charge considerably more for auto. trans.

If you want to return the car to the airport when leaving just put that down on the rental, so you don't have to return to Southampton.

We are looking forward to 5 weeks in England. One week in a cottage near Salisbury....4 weeks in a rental cottage in the Cotswolds.

This is our 3rd time in England. Try to spend as much time as possible.

Happy cruising...happy vacation.

Wife and I are arriving on wedding day. Celebrity Eclipse. We will avoid the mess in London.

If I had 2 or 3 days I'd rent a car and head up the road...very short distances...to Winchester and Salisbury. Two great cities with astounding cathedrals.They are peaceful towns, very easy to get around. Nearby Stonehenge is almost a must (early morning or evening to avoid crowds).

The wedding day, April 29th, is a bank holiday. This means car rentals at the Southampton Pier are closed that day. A few miles away is the Southampton airport where rental is open. I would suggest renting before you leave the U.S. I got the best deal through the American Express travel site. If you aren't used to driving on the left side it can be quite a challenge at first. And if the rental doesn't say "automatic transmission", it's not. Unlike the U.S. they charge considerably more for auto. trans.

If you want to return the car to the airport when leaving just put that down on the rental, so you don't have to return to Southampton.

We are looking forward to 5 weeks in England. One week in a cottage near Salisbury....4 weeks in a rental cottage in the Cotswolds.

This is our 3rd time in England. Try to spend as much time as possible.

Happy cruising...happy vacation.

Wow, lucky you--is this five weeks right after your cruise? The cruise we are looking at is the one on the Eclipse too.

I'm not too sure about driving on the left--got to give that one some thought! I do think the Salisbury area would be our best bet, but a cottage in the Cotswolds, wow. It sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the advice--where are you in Kansas, neighbor?

Hi, you wouldn't need a car for Salisbury or Winchester. The trains are fine, and with ancient towns as these, cars can be more of a nuisance anyway!

Salisbury has a tourist bus to get you out to Stonehenge and back, and the cathedral houses one of the magna cartas.

Winchester is my favourite - capital of Wessex back in the Anglo-Saxon times; the cathedral is more interesting inside than Salisbury's and is the burial place of Jane Austen, and of several of the anglo-saxon kings. This is King Alfred territory....

Sounds like Stonehenge & Bath are must-do's.

Given your time-frame & preference for public transport, can I suggest you make Bath your base.

On disembarkation day, take a short taxi hop from City Cruise Terminal to Southampton central station (walkable, but not ideal with luggage), then the frequent train to Salisbury (30 mins). The pub by Salisbury rail station will store your luggage for a small fee (no left-luggage at the station), then take the ho-ho bus from the station to Stonehenge (allow 60 or 90 minutes there), mebbe stop at Old Sarum, then Salisbury's compact & laid-back city centre (allow say 90 mins incl lunch, longer if you want to visit inside the cathedral). Then ho-ho bus again if timing is convenient, or local bus, or taxi, or 15 min walk back to the rail station, collect your luggage & back on the train to Bath.

If that day you also wanted to include Silbury Hill, Avebury Ring & various barrows (burial mounds) you'd need a transfer to Bath by car.

Bath has some super Roman & Georgian sights, incl Roman Baths, and Jane Austen associations.

From Bath it's fairly easy to visit Oxford & other places by train, Stratford-upon-Avon is a little more complicated but do-able, and it's on the main-line to London.

Nearby places like Wells, Cheddar, Glastonbury, Avebury Ring, are difficult or imposssible by public transport, but could be visited relatively easily & economically from Bath by private tour or seat-on-bus tour or by renting a car for the day.

Sorry, can't help with Bath hotels.

Winchester (mentioned by PlaneSailing) doesn't fit the schedule I mentioned, but it's only 15 mins by train from Southampton, & from there Jane Austen's home/museum in the village of Chawton is about 20/30 mins by road. The city is rather more "upper crust" than Salisbury but it too has some interesting sights as well as its cathedral. Walk from the station to The Castle (very little of it remains) then down the interesting High St to the cathedral & Bishop's Palace remains, then taxi back to the station from King Alfred's statue at the bottom of High St (the Broadway)

Dorchester is Thomas Hardy country (it was the model for the Mayor of Casterbridge). Easy from Southampton by train, but you really need a car to explore the Dorset downs & coastline (Jurassic coast). Hardy's home is just outside the town.

Charles Dickens spent time in Portsmouth, but his main associations (& sights) are in the Medway area, between Canterbury & London.

The Ise of Wight has many associations with poets, notably Alfred Lord Tennyson.

Driving: driving on the left is not a big problem, you're sat on the other side of the car, there's so much traffic that it's natural to follow the herd, and many roads are dual-highway. But there are other differences - keep to the left lane & overtake only on the right, many traffic islands (give way to traffic on the island), no turn-out on a red light, etc.

Here's some useful websites:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/plans.htm

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

JB

Thank you everyone. You've given us some great ideas--I'm so excited with all the possibilites. So now to make the decision to go or not.

Renting a car is an option--my husband will probably do fine; I hate driving period, even on the right! If I had my choice, I'd have my own driver everywhere.

Wow, lucky you--is this five weeks right after your cruise? The cruise we are looking at is the one on the Eclipse too.

I'm not too sure about driving on the left--got to give that one some thought! I do think the Salisbury area would be our best bet, but a cottage in the Cotswolds, wow. It sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the advice--where are you in Kansas, neighbor?

I see you have some good recommendations by other posts. Bath IS another great recommendation! England has so much astounding history that it's not necessary to go to London, particularly with the massive crowds there on vacation. Lots of Britishers will be on vacation because Monday, May 2nd is ALSO an English bank holiday. If it wasn't for the wedding I would suggest going to Windsor and using it as your base for day trips, not to mention the magnificent Windsor castle.

The Eclipse is a top-rated one year-old ship and this transatlantic cruise is a dirt-bag bargain. I got a balcony for under $2300 for the two of us. I bought directly from Celebrity because they gave us another $250 military discount.

Yes, we leave the ship and do our 5 weeks. By the way, I was in Omaha last month. Hadn't seen the Air Force museum since it moved from Offut.

I'm from Fort Scott, about 80 miles south of Kansas City.

Go to the roll calls and learn more about the Eclipse. Our thread is the April 16th date.

I definitely agree with the bargain part--that's the approx. price we're looking at for a balcony guarantee, and a couple of agents are offering OBC as well. I'll definitely check the thread out, and I'd love to try the Eclipse.

I have a sister in Kansas City, so you're not to far away. We are about 2.5 hours from Omaha, northeast Nebr.

We just have to make up our mind to do it. We do have some possible scheduling conflicts due to the above sister perhaps having open-heart surgery; however, she hasn't decided yet if she wants to do it, and it's not an emergency type thing anyway. They found a 2 cm+ hole in her heart that has been there since birth!

I definitely agree with the bargain part--that's the approx. price we're looking at for a balcony guarantee, and a couple of agents are offering OBC as well. I'll definitely check the thread out, and I'd love to try the Eclipse.

I have a sister in Kansas City, so you're not to far away. We are about 2.5 hours from Omaha, northeast Nebr.

We just have to make up our mind to do it. We do have some possible scheduling conflicts due to the above sister perhaps having open-heart surgery; however, she hasn't decided yet if she wants to do it, and it's not an emergency type thing anyway. They found a 2 cm+ hole in her heart that has been there since birth!

I understand family commitments. We were never able to be gone more than two weeks while my mother was still alive. This vacation is a reward for my wife, Martha. She had 2 complete knee replacements in the last 6 months so I'm letting her be Miss Marple (like in the mystery books), hopefully without any murders taking place.:eek:

Honestly I'm surprised there are rooms left on the Eclipse...the repositioning cruises fill up fast at these prices. You may not want to wait too long. Transatlantic cruises are so popular that their some of the cruise critic threads have as many as 3 or 4 thousand posts. On our Eclipse thread for

April I decided to get on the site in January, and there was already 25 pages of postings.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I'm very talented at things that provide no income, like having opinions.;)

Incidentally, just below this is my wife's blog site on life here "on the prairie".

Love Agatha Christie and Miss Marple! She's one of the authors that generated my love of Britain. Also Rosemary Sutcliff, Miss Read, the Austins, and many, many others. You wife deserves this trip after two knee replacements.

We still have mothers age 85 and 88 alive; one doing very well, the other fairly well; she's still able to be in her own home, at least. Luckily we have a son here as well who can keep an eye on her.

I know we need to book if we're going to do it, or we'll lose out. Thanks for the advice.

Love Agatha Christie and Miss Marple! She's one of the authors that generated my love of Britain. Also Rosemary Sutcliff, Miss Read, the Austins, and many, many others. You wife deserves this trip after two knee replacements.

We still have mothers age 85 and 88 alive; one doing very well, the other fairly well; she's still able to be in her own home, at least. Luckily we have a son here as well who can keep an eye on her.

I know we need to book if we're going to do it, or we'll lose out. Thanks for the advice.

Martha said to tell you that Miss Read is a favorite of hers. And she has all of the Thrush Green books.:)

Thanks. I'm a real Anglophile and love all things British--I love both Ancient and Medievel English history, especially very early history, I'm a big fan of many English authors so the landscapes, towns, famous and ancient sites, etc. are all familiar by reading about them.

Since we'll probably only be there about 3 days my thoughts tend toward the Stonehenge and Bath area, but really, I'll be thrilled with anything. We'd probably try to use trains and buses (we used the Natl. Express bus previously) and find a central town to tour out of.

We're not big on cities anyway, so though London is a must sometime, I'd rather see the countryside anyway.

Salisbury and Bath are on the same rail line from Southampton, so you could easily spend the first day (and perhaps overnight) in Salisbury (for Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, etc.) before continuing on to Bath for a couple of days.

Apart from the numerous sights in Bath itself, there are a number of places you can visit (as day trips) by train and/or bus from Bath. Given your interests, which sound very similar to mine, I think you'd especially enjoy the following:

Bradford-on-Avon (interesting historic town with a medieval tithe barn, Saxon church, canal, etc., only 5-10 minutes from Bath by train, or a very scenic half-hour bus ride from Bath)

http://www.bradfordonavon.co.uk/WhatToDo/bradfordonavon.html

http://www.bradford-on-avon.org/

http://www.bradford-on-avon.org/bonahome.htm

BTW, IMHO the best place for lunch or dinner in Branford is The Dandy Lion:

http://www.thedandylion.co.uk/

Lacock (a well-preserved village owned by the National Trust and often used as a location for "period" films and television dramas, including Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Cranford, and various Harry Potter films)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-lacockabbeyvillage/w-lacockabbeyvillage-village.htm

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-lacockabbeyvillage

http://www.cotswolds.info/places/lacock.shtml

http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/site/lacockcranford

Wells (a very small town that's only a "city" by virtue of its wonderful cathedral)

http://www.wellscathedral.org.uk/

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/wells-cathedral

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Wells_Cathedral.html

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Post Captain

Wow, such great information and ideas. Thanks to everybody for all your help and for making me feel better about being in England at that time. As long as we stay out of London, hopefully we'll be okay.

If Friday and Monday are bank holidays, does this mean that tourist sites are closed as well? How about cafes, pubs, shops, etc.? I'm assuming the cathedrals will be open, and we'll be fine just wandering around villages and towns soaking in the stunning atmosphere.

Wow, such great information and ideas. Thanks to everybody for all your help and for making me feel better about being in England at that time. As long as we stay out of London, hopefully we'll be okay.

If Friday and Monday are bank holidays, does this mean that tourist sites are closed as well? How about cafes, pubs, shops, etc.? I'm assuming the cathedrals will be open, and we'll be fine just wandering around villages and towns soaking in the stunning atmosphere.

Christmas is the only bank holiday when pretty-well everything shuts down. The vast majority of sites will be open (and busier than a regular April friday), along with shops & pubs & such.

A lot of rail companies have yet to commit, those which have already decided will be running a normal weekday service subject to the minor inconveniences of using the long weekend to carry out engineering works. It's possible that some will run a "sunday-service" on the monday, and perhaps on the friday. But extra friday trains are planned for London.

A lot of folk will be travelling to London for the wedding. But a lot of Londoners will use the long weekend to escape from the city. So thursday afternoon/friday & monday afternoon/tuesday morning expect roads, esp to/from London, to be congested.

The main interruption will be to regular daily life - banks, offices, govt departments, etc . I always rated a bank holiday weekend as ideal for the Russians to invade :D

JB

You two have given some great info.

I have a question.

After landing in Southampton I have one night before we have our cottage. I want to stay on the coast, west of Southampton, but not as far as Cornwall. What do you consider the most picturesque village along the coast?

I have a question.

After landing in Southampton I have one night before we have our cottage. I want to stay on the coast, west of Southampton, but not as far as Cornwall. What do you consider the most picturesque village along the coast?

Do you have any suggestions as to:

hotels,Inn, or B&B?

Great pub or restaurant?

Somethin special to see or visit?

I have a question.

hotels,Inn, or B&B?

Great pub or restaurant?

rotaryscotty,

Two places come immediately to mind:

Yarmouth, near the western tip of the Isle of Wight, and not far from Southampton nor, in relative terms, from Salisbury, is a delightful little town. It is easily reached via a short ferry ride from Lymington. which is just south of the New Forest. (I spent a week in a cottage just a few miles further along the IoW coast a few years ago.)

http://www.isleofwight.com/yarmouth.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarmouth,_Isle_of_Wight

Lyme Regis, further west, is probably the most obvious "picturesque" spot along the coast between Southampton and Exeter.

http://www.lymeregis.com/

http://www.lymeregis.org/

http://www.lymeregis.org/webcams/cobb-webcam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_Regis

Sorry I can't provide specific recommendations for places to stay in Yarmouth or Lyme Regis. Both places have numerous B&Bs, guest houses, and inns. (Lyme Regis has a somewhat wider selection than Yarmouth, being the larger town.)

Being that it will be a bank holiday weekend, I would book ahead.

You and Nebr.cruiser are making me want to book the Eclipse! I'd definitely do so if she were leaving out of Bayonne, a short trip by land from my present location.

Cheers,

JD

I have a question.

hotels,Inn, or B&B?

Great pub or restaurant?

Guessing this is before the cottage in/near Salisbury, & that you have a car.

Easiest between Southampton & Salisbury would be a country house hotel in the New Forest, perhaps near the yachting town of Lymington or the village of Milford-on-sea, or in a Forest village away from the coast such as Brockenhurst or Beaulieu or Burley, or deep in the Forest.

Highcliffe (castle) and Christchurch (priory) aren't picturesque but have a good location, as does Poole (around the quay).

Or further west, 40 miles from Southampton to the village of Corfe Castle (not on the coast), or 46 miles to West Lulworth (Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door, & possibly the prettiest coastal hamlet on this stretch).

Swanage is a little run-down.

Weymouth is a large but pleasant victorian resort & has its charms and attractions, incl proximity to Portland Bill & Chesil Bank.

About 75 miles from Southampton, there's little Charmouth or Lyme Regis (main village of the Jurassic coast). Just a little further to Seaton (restored trams) is surely as far west as you'd want to go.

Bear in mind that these are seaside places. Dorset's inland villages & towns, such as Milton Abbas, Shaftesbury & Sherborne, are set in attractive downlands & are more typical & picturesque in themselves - but you could route thro' such places from your coastal choice to Salisbury.

Can't really help with suggestions for accommodation, but I can help with background, interesting routes etc once you've got somewhere in mind.

JB

ps Post Captain's suggestion of Yarmouth, on the IoW, has its merits but Yarmouth is out-on-a-limb & you'd really need to take a car to appreciate the Island & to carry your luggage - and it's a very expensive stretch of water with a car :eek:

But at least we've agreed you should consider Lyme Regis :)

You're welcome.

To answer your most important question first: The pubs never close. (What, never? Hardly ever.) As John Bull has pointed out, all the tourist sights should be open and, in fact, will be more crowded during a bank holiday than they would be during a typical April weekday.

A couple of other things occurred to me. Since Bath is a mere 50-minute train ride from Salisbury, you could just as easily stay in Bath for the duration of your time in England and visit Salisbury as a day trip from there. (Of course, that assumes that the trains will be running on a normal schedule--which, as JB mentioned, might not be the case.)

Bath is chock-a-block with places to stay, ranging from modest B&Bs and guest houses to elegant luxury hotels in historic buildings (e.g., the Royal Crescent and the Francis, to name but two). However, being that it will be a bank holiday weekend, it will be essential to book a room in advance. This website might be useful in planning where to stay:

http://visitbath.co.uk/site/accommodation

Also check out the listings and reviews on TripAdvisor. By the way, TripAdvisor has a page with a good summary of bus and train services to and from Bath:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186370-c17847/Bath:United-Kingdom:Public.Transport.html

(There's a very convenient direct National Express coach from Bath to Heathrow. Or you can take the train to Reading and change there for a bus./coach that runs from Reading Station to Heathrow.)

Now I have to talk Mrs Post Captain into booking that Eclipse transatlantic voyage! (We've done two crossings on the Connie as well as one on the QE2, and greatly enjoyed them all.)

Cheers,

Post Captain

Guessing this is before the cottage in/near Salisbury, & that you have a car.

Easiest between Southampton & Salisbury would be a country house hotel in the New Forest, perhaps near the yachting town of Lymington or the village of Milford-on-sea, or in a Forest village away from the coast such as Brockenhurst or Beaulieu or Burley, or deep in the Forest.

Highcliffe (castle) and Christchurch (priory) aren't picturesque but have a good location, as does Poole (around the quay).

Or further west, 40 miles from Southampton to the village of Corfe Castle (not on the coast), or 46 miles to West Lulworth (Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door, & possibly the prettiest coastal hamlet on this stretch).

Swanage is a little run-down.

Weymouth is a large but pleasant victorian resort & has its charms and attractions, incl proximity to Portland Bill & Chesil Bank.

About 75 miles from Southampton, there's little Charmouth or Lyme Regis (main village of the Jurassic coast). Just a little further to Seaton (restored trams) is surely as far west as you'd want to go.

Bear in mind that these are seaside places. Dorset's inland villages & towns, such as Milton Abbas, Shaftesbury & Sherborne, are set in attractive downlands & are more typical & picturesque in themselves - but you could route thro' such places from your coastal choice to Salisbury.

I certainly concur re. Sherborne--a town I like very much. There's a lovely abbey church in the center of town, and the "New Castle"--residence of Sir Walter Raleigh--just past the edge of town:

http://www.sherbornecastle.com/sc2009j15/index.php

(Not to be confused with the Old Castle, which really is old.)

And there's also Cerne Abbas, a picture-postcard perfect village, giant and all.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas

Though I understand my favorite pub has changed ownership since I was last there:

http://www.royaloakcerneabbas.co.uk/

Can't really help with suggestions for accommodation, but I can help with background, interesting routes etc once you've got somewhere in mind.

JB

ps Post Captain's suggestion of Yarmouth, on the IoW, has its merits but Yarmouth is out-on-a-limb & you'd really need to take a car to appreciate the Island & to carry your luggage - and it's a very expensive stretch of water with a car :eek: I'd neglected to factor in the cost of taking the car on the ferry. I'm always a mere foot passenger.

But at least we've agreed you should consider Lyme Regis :)Indeed!

I will have to explore the New Forest in more detail when I'm next in that part of the country. Have only passed through on the train, en route to & from the IoW. From what I recall seeing from the train (including New Forest ponies), it really does seem like a unique part of England, not really comparable to any other part of the country (except maybe the Forest of Dean?).

Post Captain

I will have to explore the New Forest in more detail when I'm next in that part of the country. Have only passed through on the train, en route to & from the IoW. From what I recall seeing from the train (including New Forest ponies), it really does seem like a unique part of England, not really comparable to any other part of the country (except maybe the Forest of Dean?).

Post Captain

A little more moorland than F of D, perhaps a cross between F of D & the less-rugged parts of Dartmoor/Bodmin.

Between Sherborne & Dorchester I always take the little unclassified road across the downs behind Cerne Abbas, easier than the A-road & glorious views.

And no full-frontal (Scotty, google "rude man of Cerne Abbas" :D)

JB

JB and PC-

Too bad Nebr cruiser and I can't spend an evening with the two of you in a good pub with real pumped ale, not our "woosey" lagers.:(

I think the, "Two peoples divided by a common language" is way overrated.;)

Great chatting with all of you!:)

Archived