Panama Canal Question?

weluvcruisin'

To us a veranda is always worth it. Not just at the Canal but everywhere. We spend lots of time out there. Going through the Canal we were topside most of the time, fore and aft, getting pictures. I did run back to the cabin to get a shot down the side.

If your question is specifically would the extra expense of having a veranda be worth it for going through the Canal, then I'd say no. You will want to be out on deck during transit.

Totally agree with Jim. Go for a balcony if you would get the benefit of it for the whole of the cruise (we definitely do), but don't get one just for the Canal. You'll get much better views elsewhere on the ship during the passage, up front and aft and also on the Promenade Deck.

Phil

Just remember that once you've booked a balcony you're spoiled forever. That's why I refuse to book any grade higher than a balcony. There's no going back.

But I believe the amount of enjoyment added to the cruise by having a balcony makes up for the additional cost. I agree, though, don't do it just because of the canal. You won't want to isolate yourself to just the one view.

I vote for the balcony.

The transit of the canal takes a long, long time. Most of the day. It is also hot as hades on deck.

We approached the canal very early in the morning and really enjoyed being able to stand on the balcony in our pj's.

I even saw an alligator in the water. (Or a crocodile??)

It is cool to see the locks from the front, but on Gatun Lake, the balcony was great for viewing the sights.

To me it is a once in a lifetime thing. So if you can spring for the verandah, do it.

celtic

We did the Rotterdam/Panama Canal cruise in February. It was a rainy day when we went thru the canal but our veranda was nice and dry. Also, the back of the veranda deck was covered and not many people where out there. It was interesting at the third lock to go to the aft and see the ships stacked up behind us. We elected not to do any tours at the Canal. One of the Daily Events was a chance to swim in the Panama Canal. The cruise staff dumped a glass of "canal" water into the swimming pool. Anyone who jumped in the pool was given a certificate stating that they swam in the Panama Canal. I agree with the comments that once you have a veranda it's hard to go back to an outside cabin.

We had a veranda suite for our canal crossing this past Christmas. I agree, once you have one, you won't want to go back. I spent a lot of time roaming the ship to film and record as much as possible, but spent a large portion of time on the balcony. My parents enjoyed spending most of the day enjoying the view from the veranda. We had all our meals there for the transit. The crossing was a fantastic experience.

One final word on veranda or balconies: During our cruise, several passengers got sick and were confined to quarters for 3 -4 days. I would certainly hate to spend my cruise confined to an inside cabin or even one with only a window. At least you can sit on your verandah and enjoy some fresh air and the scenery. At least I think so. I don't believe that you are disbarred from using your veranda when confined to quarters. Anyone know the answer to that?

Archived