Question about Caribbean Princess & Stateroom D734 (Aft)

njadam

Please bear with me...this is my first post as I have just recently joined Cruise Critic. From what I see so far this looks like a great place to find out good information and tips !!

My wife and I will be going on our 3rd cruise and 2nd on Princess on the Caribbean Princess in May out of Brooklyn N.Y.. We booked an aft balcony stateroom D734. I am a little nervous because I can get motion sickness (no problems with the first 2 cruises..knock wood) My first question, has anyone noticed much difference between a mid ship area stateroom and an aft room?....motion wise?

It appears that the aft balcony room is a great way to enjoy the views and the privacy.

Has anyone had an opportunity to stay in that particular stateroom and/or an aft balcony room ? Should we be concerned with anything in particular ? Does that balcony have any view obstructions ?

Anything that we should try or avoid on the ship ?

Thanks in advance for any information !!

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have stayed in tier 738 cabins (on Aloha and Caribe decks) and yes, you will feel more motion aft than you would in a cabin more amidships. That's why I like being far forward or far aft myself! However, an aft-facing balcony such as you have is coveted and yes, quiet and private, so definitely worth taking a chance on motion.

I've never seen/set foot in that cabin but here's a nice photo of the CB that shows pretty clearly the balcony -- looks pretty unobstructed to me! Dolphin Deck is the second deck up from the Promenade Deck, which is the deck right above the ship's name on the stern, and 734 is second balcony from the left.

CaribbeanPrincessII.jpg?t=1215978921

I've been in D734 on the Grand Princess. Same location. There was more vibration than usually especially when leaving or entering port. But it there wasn't a lot of movement that might cause seasickness. But then it was smooth as glass too. At least being down low and closer to center of the ship, you would feel little side to side motion.

We always book an aft cabin if available, you feel the vibration, but that is about it. You will love it. On our up coming cruise to Hawaii, we wanted to do the Panama Canal but they do not have aft cabins on the Coral, so we picked the Golden where we would be on the aft.:p

Sharon, by looking at the picture posted, do you know what deck is Baja? I think we are around 618 or so?

Baja would be the 2nd level of balconies from the top (looking at the rear of the ship. Then you can follow the line down the side from there. On the side, Caribe deck balconies stick out some but it's not really visible here. Then you'll see Dolphin and below that Emerald deck balconies that really stick out.

This will be my first Princess cruise....have sailed other cruise lines. My question is does anyone know if balcony divides can be opened to make a larger balcony (family and friends next door)?

In most balcony dividers, you can open a narrow door on one of the panel nearest the ship. So you can't make the double wide balcony that everyone envisions. It's just a little door between the two.

Archived