Buying spices

kaybeeeeeee

Planning on a quiet ship day in Grenada but we'll probably get off the ship for an hour or so to bring back some spices as gifts. Should we expect that the packaged spices sold at the shops right at the pier will be as fresh as elsewhere? I don't mind spending a few dollars more (this would be the usual for these shops) but I'd hate to get home and find out they'd been sitting around for a long time and had gone stale. If this isn't the best place to buy spices, can someone recommend some place, not too far from the pier (I don't mind a short taxi ride) where it would be better to buy spices?

What spices are particularly good from here?

Up until Hurrican Ivan 2004 which dessimated our crops (and our houses) we were the 2nd largest producer of Nutmeg (Black Gold) in the world. It takes 7 years for a new nutmeg plant to produce fruit so we have another year before we see if we can regain that position

However we are also know for cloves, ginger, cinnamon, black Pepper, Clove, Musk Ochra, Sapote, Sesamu, Tonka bean, Vanilla mace.

:D

Planning on a quiet ship day in Grenada but we'll probably get off the ship for an hour or so to bring back some spices as gifts. Should we expect that the packaged spices sold at the shops right at the pier will be as fresh as elsewhere? I don't mind spending a few dollars more (this would be the usual for these shops) but I'd hate to get home and find out they'd been sitting around for a long time and had gone stale. If this isn't the best place to buy spices, can someone recommend some place, not too far from the pier (I don't mind a short taxi ride) where it would be better to buy spices?

Was there three months ago.

Spices are sold in sealed packages and amazingly fresh! I bought a basket with a variety and have been very pleased. Wish I had bought more.

There is a small mall at the pier with shops that sell spices. In addition, if you go to the street side of the mall, there are vendors.

There is a small shop on the wharf of the Carenage called "Dot's Plaza Souvenir Shop" that sells a variety of packaged spices. (The Carenage is an inner harbour. Getting there is an interesting 10-minute walk from the cruiseport, and takes you to a beautiful part of town less visited by tourists.)

carenage.jpg

(The Carenage, as seen from outside Dot's)

Walk out the front door of the cruiseport "mall" onto Melville Street. Turn right and walk along Melville to where it disappears into the 325-foot Sendall Tunnel. Walk through the tunnel, staying to the right (you are sharing the tunnel with car traffic).

tunnel.jpg

(Sendall Tunnel. Stay to the right.)

At the end of the tunnel, you're one block away from the Carenage. Make your way wharfside, turn left and walk along the wharf until you get to Dot's.

• 1 month later...

I bought three approx 6oz bottles labeled "Pure Vanilla" for $10US in a shop in the mall at the pier. When I finshed a bottle of vanilla extract purchased in the US (from Madagascar vanilla beans), I immediately did a taste test to compare with the Grenadian product. Sadly, there was practically no vanilla flavour whatsoever. I am extremely disappointed, as I try to purchase local products to help the local economy of the ports we visit. Just thought fellow spice shoppers would want to avoid this product.

• 1 month later...

Was there in November and bought a variety of spices. Yes, they were fresh and wonderful!

We went to a local grocery store about two blocks to the left as you leave the ship (near fish market). We found an excellent very cheap assortment of spices, nutmeg syrup, and a Clarks rum that was Amazing. The prices were much better.

• 4 months later...

When I grated my own nutmeg from the spice necklace it was not a solid brown but a speckled white and brown. It was good to smell and strong enough to be nutmeg but I was surprised it was not all brown as nutmeg that I have used already ground up is.

I went to DOts and then to the market on my way back. Prices at the open air market was slightly less.

I will be disappointed in my vanilla... I guess I should open it now not later. Planning on buying more but have not even opened it since I had a large bottle from Sams club.

• 4 weeks later...

From Fodor's:

"When you buy spices, you may be offered "saffron" and "vanilla." The saffron is really turmeric, a ground yellow root rather than the fragile pistils of crocus flowers; the vanilla is an essence made from locally grown tonka beans, a close substitute but not the real thing. No one is trying to pull the wool over your eyes; these are common local terms".

Archived