Purchasing Liquor on a Bahamas only cruise

AllmanJoy89

I am cruising with 9 of my girlfriends on March 31st on the Sensation for a 3 night cruise to Nassau. We wanted to purchase liquor in the duty free shops either on board the ship or in Nassau. How many bottles of liquor can we purchase without going over the limit?

Also, what is the dollar amount of duty free shopping allowed for other items?

Thanks in advance.

Iv never paid it. I live in TX and usually go out of Galveston, where there is no provision to pay customs or buy extra. Its just not allowed out of Galveston.

If Im going out of FL Im flying and not buying booze.

how can you not pay any duty out of galvaston all ports you clear customs and maybe they dont check very often but all ports have customs

i have paid duty 1 time we were 5 bottles over out allowance

they wanted to see proof of each bottle and size of each we paid 13 dollars and some change they DO NOT take anything but cash and make NO CHANGE

how can you not pay any duty out of galvaston all ports you clear customs and maybe they dont check very often but all ports have customs

they wanted to see proof of each bottle and size of each we paid 13 dollars and some change they DO NOT take anything but cash and make NO CHANGE

Texas law permits the importing of 1 bottle into the state full stop period.

That's what fire meant.

Its some dang gone TX law that you cant bring extra booze thru the port of Galveston.

I didnt say you dont go thru customs...you jumped to that conclusion. I said the rules for TX residents coming thru Galveston are different. The law says you cant, so there is no provision for paying customs on overage.

Iv never paid it. I live in TX and usually go out of Galveston, where there is no provision to pay customs or buy extra. Its just not allowed out of Galveston.

If Im going out of FL Im flying and not buying booze.

Every port has customs. You just pay the duty on all excess. They usually don't charge you unless your are seriously over the limits.

Once again, information that is not accurate. Every port has customs. You just pay the duty on all excess. They usually don't charge you unless your are seriously over the limits.

Then I guess Steve, the CD doesnt know the law when he annouces it. I assumed a CD on the Carnival ship knew the law. He stated there is no provision to pay extra duty on excess....I didnt look it up. CDs on the ships out of Galveston say differently than you do.

In addition jetskier posted that it is just coming thru galveston. This law doesnt apply to other ports that TXs might be coming thru.

I see you live in FL... I know you hate me...and jump on posts...I think in this case you dont know what you are talking about with your nitpicking. Usually you have little nitpicking comment to make...in this case you just are mistaken. I think Carnival knows better than you do when they advise us Texans.

On our last Cruise we were bam- Booze- old at the tasting party at the Duty free shop on board. we must have tried 40 different shots of rum and other liquor each. we wanted a lot of it, and I had to have my Vodka and wife had to have her Peach Vodka. as well we loved this flavored rum and some African liquor. we were so greatly informed you can take as much as you want (now we knew that this was untrue, but the sales guys kept saying no worries - this at the ships store - )

we made it off the ship in Miami with 12 liters and 4 cartons of smokes .. we were stopped in customs (as we had the booze in the cardboard carriers ) and told them yes we have 12 bottles - figuring we would have to pay the Duty on them ... instead we were held up for 30 minutes while they went through every bag with a fine tooth comb made a mess ... to find Nothing but what we claimed we had and we did have it on the forms as well .. and then told welcome back have a good day!

no tax no duty .. but sure almost gave me a heart attack as they kept saying cash only and jail. maybe they thought we were smuggling drugs? but why would a smuggler have so much booze on the customs form?

so be warned they will call it "excessive" if its to much more than the 1 or 2 PP

I am cruising with 9 of my girlfriends on March 31st on the Sensation for a 3 night cruise to Nassau. We wanted to purchase liquor in the duty free shops either on board the ship or in Nassau. How many bottles of liquor can we purchase without going over the limit?

Also, what is the dollar amount of duty free shopping allowed for other items?

Thanks in advance.

See this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1310038

IF you get caught, you just have to pay the tax on whatever you went over.

Actually, if you "get caught" you can be fined heavily. We have always brought back more than the allowance but have also declared it on the form. Out of 10 cruises, we had to pay 14.00 on taxes and duty for 6 extra bottles.

Of course the large amount of booze was before when you could carry the box on board. We have purchased 4 and placed in our luggage for the flight back home and so far all the time we have done this, it has surived. But I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and wrap clothes around that.

Archived