First time RC Cruiser

Ellen Dio

Friends just booked the March 27th Adventure of the Seas and hooked my husband by offering to share a dog sitter here at home if we traveled with them (he's a new doggy daddy). Looks like we are booking (I have airfare on hold) although I'm not thrilled with what I'm reading about this ship. Since this was supposed to be our winter without a vacation to save money we'll be booking an interior (probably handicapped accessible if avail.) and I have a few questions -

Is it true the beds can't be put together?

Are the rooms really as small compared to other cruise lines as I've read? (We have only traveled Celebrity and Cunard) - I have to go check sq. ft. on other websites but some opinions from those who've been in these rooms would be wonderful.

Mostly we want to relax and see some ports we've never been to and enjoy the company of our friends - we are two couples in our late 40's , not too picky about food but hope it's decent and that there's a fun bar some place on board.

Any input would be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance.

Friends just booked the March 27th Adventure of the Seas and hooked my husband by offering to share a dog sitter here at home if we traveled with them (he's a new doggy daddy). Looks like we are booking (I have airfare on hold) although I'm not thrilled with what I'm reading about this ship. Since this was supposed to be our winter without a vacation to save money we'll be booking an interior (probably handicapped accessible if avail.) and I have a few questions -

Is it true the beds can't be put together?

No, it is not.

Are the rooms really as small compared to other cruise lines as I've read? (We have only traveled Celebrity and Cunard) - I have to go check sq. ft. on other websites but some opinions from those who've been in these rooms would be wonderful.

Interiors on the Adventure are 150 square feet. You'll have to compare that to cabins which you have had on other ships, since I don't know what those are. They are adequate to the task. With an interior, you are unlikely to be just "hanging out" in your cabin. You'll be up on deck and other places, enjoying the beautiful ship and her amenities.

Mostly we want to relax and see some ports we've never been to and enjoy the company of our friends - we are two couples in our late 40's , not too picky about food but hope it's decent and that there's a fun bar some place on board.

Any input would be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance.

RCI does have some of the smaller cabins...but they're well-designed and are comfortable.

If you get a HC cabin, it will be about double the size of a regular cabin, due to the wheelchair acessible features.

Since the whole point is to enjoy your friends (and share a dogsitter!!), then Adventure will suit just fine! Lots and lots of "non-cabin" spaces to be, and RCI's service is great.

Before you get flamed, please don't book an H/C cabin unless you need one. Thanks, from the husband of an H/C wife. BUT please book it if you need it, the modifications make cruising a "do-able" vacation option for us.

Just to be clear my husband suffered traumatic brain injury in a riding accident and while his 20 year struggle to get his life back was about 95% successful he still has balance issues and on our first cruise he fell in the shower - if he hits his head at all it could be very dangerous for him, more so than most of us. We hesitate to book H/C cabins since neither of us appear to have any handicaps and get some pretty nasty looks - and have only done so once (we've only cruised together twice) but since the agent told me they have 4 open on deck 10 I was thinking we would do so for the peace of mind and additional safety (grab bars and larger space for him to move about in the bathroom) as it was the agents feeling they would start booking them as regular rooms since the ship is filling up. We will have to supply a doctors note so I'm not sure how one books without needing one unless they are opened by the cruise line. To be honest I wasn't expecting that the room itself would be so much larger just the bathroom for access of wheelchair. We don't spend lots of time in the room but I hate to feel cramped and a couple of reviews I read (interestingly not here on CC) made it sound like the interior rooms were tiny. I've read thru some very long threads now extolling the virtues of Adventure and am looking forward to it.

Archived