New Ships What Happens Now?

rugbypopsie

With the ever increasing number of ships that are going to both be based in Australia/NZ or visit our shores in the next 18 months...what can we expect?

Is this going to bring in new cruisers to the industry?

Are we going to get more competition between the cruise lines?

Are the States going to build more facilities?

Are prices going to go down?

Will there be more choice in itineraries?

What do you think will happen? Have your say about what you think and what you would like...they are probably listening.

There are only two major and soon to be three major cruise lines based in Australia full time and all three are owned by the same companyso are they to compet between them selves?, all the rest of the cruise lines are only part time here in Australia.

Love Thied

There are only two major and soon to be three major cruise lines based in Australia full time and all three are owned by the same companyso are they to compet between them selves?, all the rest of the cruise lines are only part time here in Australia.

But to believe that because they're not here the full year they're not competing is doing a disservice. One of the main reasons Carnival is sending a ship across is because of the competition (and that doesn't mean Princess or P&O).

But to believe that because they're not here the full year they're not competing is doing a disservice. One of the main reasons Carnival is sending a ship across is because of the competition (and that doesn't mean Princess or P&O).

then who are they going to compet with in a full time base cruise line in Australia?

The questions that been put forward are

Is this going to bring in new cruisers to the industry?

What cruise line is going to be based in Australia to able to compet with week in we out cruises?

Are we going to get more competition between the cruise lines?

We ahve two cruise lines atm who are owned by the same company do they com pet with eash other NO they do not.

Are the States going to build more facilities?

eash stat as been talking about upgrading for years but nothing happens

Are prices going to go down?

Untill A nother company cruise line bases them selves in Australia no.

Will there be more choice in itineraries?

We will see more intineraries in the later part of 2012 as the P&O and Princess have found that people do not like the itineraries they put out till then and will change fro nz to the Pacific islands. unless nz goverment throughs more more and saving to the cruise line again for 2012 and 2013 season.

Holland America's Amsterdam was in Madang, Papua New Guinea today on a world cruise.

Don't see any cruises from Australia going to that destination, just the same old ports.

New Guinea is a fabulous destination one of the last undeveloped frontiers...unfortunately the large cities are pretty iffy and the smaller ports have few facilities or infrastructure...but anyone getting an opportunity to see Rabual's volcano or the beautiful Madang should definately go there. Ditto with the Solomons...ships used to go there regularly but with the political unrest it has been off the itineraries for a while...I loved Tonga too.

Maybe some of the new ships will do some longer cruises in our region so we can get to some of these places.

Borneo is worth a visit too. Perhaps some fly cruises would make these destinations more accessible.

You can only do the "lap" around New Calendonia, Fiji and Vanuatu so many times..lovely as they are..some of the ports are very boring i.e. Luganville!

about 18 months ago we did a Princess cruise and we sailed from Sydney to Brisbane and up thru the Solomon islands and PNG down thru Guadanaul canal and then the South Pacific .....we had a lot of overseas visitors as it was different

about 18 months ago we did a Princess cruise and we sailed from Sydney to Brisbane and up thru the Solomon islands and PNG down thru Guadanaul canal and then the South Pacific .....we had a lot of overseas visitors as it was different

That's exactly what I mean I think there is a large untapped market for some cruises with a bit more exotic in them...I think it would attract overseas visitors as well as grey nomads for Aus and NZ. These itineraries would be great for the mid size/smaller ships.

That's exactly what I mean I think there is a large untapped market for some cruises with a bit more exotic in them...I think it would attract overseas visitors as well as grey nomads for Aus and NZ. These itineraries would be great for the mid size/smaller ships.

Here is another port that the Amsterdam is calling into Koror, Palau. I had never heard of this place, looked at Google maps and it is above PNG. Sounds exotic and not over run with tourists!

I agree they need to do more exotic cruises, which are under 3 weeks in length.

Here is another port that the Amsterdam is calling into Koror, Palau. I had never heard of this place, looked at Google maps and it is above PNG. Sounds exotic and not over run with tourists!

I agree they need to do more exotic cruises, which are under 3 weeks in length.

Palua is a world listed scuba diving location apparently wonderful coral etc like a lot of islands in the region..unspoiled, not much there except nature...perhaps they need a glass bottomed tender for the non divers.

Holland America's Amsterdam was in Madang, Papua New Guinea today on a world cruise.

Don't see any cruises from Australia going to that destination, just the same old ports.

Rhapsody was supposed to call into Papua New Guinea too, but it has been cancelled. I think they were to be there yesterday or today. The rumour is there is an outbreak of Cholera there...

Instead they are now cruising to Bali as a port of call. That's a good option for a port of call on a 'round Australia cruise' I think.

I would love to see some more variations in cruise itineraries down here. Perth is the only port that is now offering some interesting itineraries.

Celebrity have scheduled Century to just cruise between Sydney and Auckland including around NZ, one way. That's exactly what they did with the Millennium and it was pulled because it wasn't a success, so why are they doing the same itinerary with Century?:confused:

I'd love the job of planning itineraries for cruise ships in these waters that we know so well.

Jillybean:)

Just a thought,

before we all go over the top.

Look at the itineraries for overseas cruises.

From Britain...

Oh No..

Not Barbados again.

Why do they all go to St Petersburgh.

We have been to Barcelona,

and Venice so many times.

We have done the Norwegian Fjords.

We have done Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean so many times.

Cruise ships can only go to Ports that can receive them.

We have to realise, down here,

thats where they go.

If you have been there before,

just jump on the ship,

and enjoy.

Who said you have to get off?

You could go to to same Hotel or Apartment

on the Gold Coast every Year if you wish.

How boring would that be?

You are right Kiwi but my point is that Australians and Kiwis have taken to cruising with a passion..I think those who have done the standard itineraries around the islands and NZ would be keen to keep cruising in our region if there was a bit more variety even if it mean flying one way and then cruising home (with the shopping).

Flying to the US or Europe is so expensive not to mention so bloody far! I hate planes with a passion, "flying buses" tedious, boring and uncomfortable if you can't afford the "pointy" end.

I think we could get more tourists down here by combining Aus/NZ with some exotics especially if their flight was a little shorter.

However need decent ships...the Sun and Dawn Princess are too crowded on the longer cruises IMO.

I would like some overnights in some of the ports to give you a chance to have a decent look at the destination..i.e. Darwin..Kakadu is really too far for one day...and surely the port fees in Darwin are not that expensive. Broome, Bali, Borneo all of these ports could be overnights IMO.

Celebrity have scheduled Century to just cruise between Sydney and Auckland including around NZ, one way. That's exactly what they did with the Millennium and it was pulled because it wasn't a success, so why are they doing the same itinerary with Century?:confused:

It wasn't a success not because of the itinerary (which was fantastic!) but because of the major downturn in its client market. They were marketing towards the US audience then and that was the peak of their GFC so they had masses of cancellations.

This time things are a little better in the US, plus they've expanded the audience somewhat including having local marketing - but it's still targeting international travellers at least as much as local. Switching to a different itinerary wouldn't help that as it's well geared towards the international market (and other routes less so) - the question is whether they will come given the strength of the AUD and troubles off shore.

It wasn't a success not because of the itinerary (which was fantastic!) but because of the major downturn in its client market. They were marketing towards the US audience then and that was the peak of their GFC so they had masses of cancellations.

This time things are a little better in the US, plus they've expanded the audience somewhat including having local marketing - but it's still targeting international travellers at least as much as local. Switching to a different itinerary wouldn't help that as it's well geared towards the international market (and other routes less so) - the question is whether they will come given the strength of the AUD and troubles off shore.

I see what you're saying but just how many ships are doing the same itinerary:

Pacific Dawn

Pearl

Jewel

Rhapsody

Radiance

Volendam

The other HAL ship that I can't remember the name of..:o

Diamond Princess

Sun Princess

Dawn Princess

and now Century

Could they not throw in an Asian experience from Brisbane, or would it be too far to be viable?

Jilly:)

And given what has happened in Christchurch I wonder how many people (the foreign clients) will be hesistant to book a cruise here, as they will think that the experience is not going to be what it was? One would hope that it doesn't stop people booking cruises.

I agree that they could do some cruises from Brisbane to Asia.

The other HAL ship, Jilly, is the Zaandam.

I see what you're saying but just how many ships are doing the same itinerary:

Pacific Dawn

Pearl

Jewel

Rhapsody

Radiance

Volendam

The other HAL ship that I can't remember the name of..:o

Diamond Princess

Sun Princess

Dawn Princess

and now Century

Could they not throw in an Asian experience from Brisbane, or would it be too far to be viable?

Jilly:)

We have also got Pacific Sun (when she's running) and soon Carnival Sprit as well. So that gives us a great selection of ships but not such a great selection of ports:(

They could do Lae, Madang and Rabaul easily as these ports are easily accessible from Brisbane and Sydney. Honiara may also be able to be considered now with some successful one off visits there in the recent past.

Jenny

I just hope we get some more ships departing from WA soon. My dh won't let me move east purely to be close to the many departing cruise ships! Spoilsport :rolleyes: :p

I know what you mean, I have suggested living nearer Southampton!!! No interest from my DH there. It has been great getting on Sun Princess at Fremantle and coming back to Fremantle, no planes, hotels etc. Winter is the time we like to go on holiday to get a break from the cold and wet, have been the last two years and had only one very rough night the first night out in 2009, ship handled it suprisingly well. Probably better than dealing with cyclones in summer. Plenty of islands to our north for ships to visit, last year in 30 days went all the way to Hong Kong. Would like to see some cruises that take in lots of ports and some that give a couple of nights in some places for those who have been before, Can live in hope:p

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I just found this thread and would like to add my two bob to the discussion. I am also a keen cruiser and like Sue I would like a change from the usual places. I personally can't stand Noumea, but nearly every single cruise goes there at some point lol!

I figured fly/cruise or cruise/fly would be a good option. I am currently looking at the Asia Collectors Cruise on the Zaandam departing Sydney. It is 30 nights of Port intensive cruising , visiting 6 countries (Aus, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China), with 17 different ports (several overnighters), finishing in Hong Kong. (This is two b2b cruises of Syd/Singapore and Singapore/Hong Kong, for anyone interested who can't do 30 nights). We are hoping to book it this week!!! (Grrr why do us Aussies have to pay 10x the US deposit rate!:mad:).

And rather than fly Mel to Syd, we are looking at the o/night train. It is comparable or even cheaper than paying for flights and accom in Sydney and gets us into Sydney 7am of the morning of departure. So planes, trains, automobiles and boats - what a holiday :D

Cheers,

Carina

Sounds like some great cruising, however I would be nervous about that train (XPT) arriving on time, it shares the tracks with dozens of interstate freight trains, one hiccup and you miss the boat.

Just something to ponder!:)

Sounds like some great cruising, however I would be nervous about that train (XPT) arriving on time, it shares the tracks with dozens of interstate freight trains, one hiccup and you miss the boat.

Just something to ponder!:)

Good point, Yatchet, thank you. I guess I was just hoping to avoid the exorbitant prices of Sydney hotels, especially so close to Christmas.:o

Host Walt I think this topic should be merged with Kiwi's over on the new board since they are pretty similar.

Ceejay I am a avid user of "needitnow" and "whatif" I also belong to the Accor club which gives you one free night and lots of other benefits like 2 for 1 dining. Even though the initial purchase of the card is quite high..if you need a hotel in Sydney more than a couple of times a year you get your money back very quickly.

Archived