New to wheelchair-Please help

Viennaborn

I have ''just graduated from walker to wheelchair" since my elderly husband will be the "pusher'' I naturally want something light and foldable for ship excursions[i can walk some and do stairs.] Have been looking at a transport or travel chair.Do you think this will do or what do you recommend? Thanks.

I have ''just graduated from walker to wheelchair" since my elderly husband will be the "pusher'' I naturally want something light and foldable for ship excursions[i can walk some and do stairs.] Have been looking at a transport or travel chair.Do you think this will do or what do you recommend? Thanks.

Transport chairs are extremely hard to push, particularly on carpeting. Most of the cruise hallways and public areas are carpeted. Additionally, you as "passenger" aren't able to maneuver a transport chair by yourself - -there are no hand rims to push yourself around, so you would have to get out of the chair and walk.

I'm not familiar with a "travel chair". I use a manual wheelchair which is foldable, "collapsible". They weigh between 25 and 30 pounds, depending on size and options. My current chair weighs about 28 pounds.

If you need to use a wheelchair you should try to book a handicap-accessible cabin. A wheelchair (even a transport chair) won't fit through the doorway without you getting out and folding it, and then there is not much room inside the cabin.

Thanks so for responding. I was beginning to feel there was NO ONE out there. Your points are well taken.How does the light weight chair do on streets?

I guess there is no easy way out. I had rented a wheelchair for my last two cruises,but ended up not using them and making do with my walker.

I know you can't take them on tenders.I'm starting to think it is all too much stress so am particularly glad for your 'voice in the wilderness''.Thanks.:):):)

I know you can't take them on tenders.I'm starting to think it is all too much stress so am particularly glad for your 'voice in the wilderness''.Thanks.:):):)

If you can walk onto the tender, the crew may load your folded wheelchair into the tender.

You can take your chair on the tender as long as it weighs less than 50 lbs. and you can walk on the tender. I need help walking on the tender but have never been refused. I use a travelscoot scooter now because I can go places myself and my husband does not have to push me. However, I did purchase a travel chair first and that was a mistake. A travel chair has four wheels that are small and the same size. A standard collapsible chair has large rear wheels. My husband had trouble pushing the travel chair and I was in pain using it on uneven surfaces. The travel chair sent every variation of pavement up into my bones. Even my teeth hurt. I ended up using it as a walker since it hurt so much to sit in it and was so hard to push. If you go to a store that sells wheelchairs and scooters they will let you sit in various chairs and try them out in the store so you can make an informed decision.

Thanks so for responding. I was beginning to feel there was NO ONE out there. Your points are well taken.How does the light weight chair do on streets?

I guess there is no easy way out. I had rented a wheelchair for my last two cruises,but ended up not using them and making do with my walker.

It is a lot of stress -- but worth doing, in my opinion. I've been in a wheelchair for years...started in 1983, on and off, using canes and a walker and sometimes a chair, then full-time starting in 1998...

and I still travel. I've been to the Philippines, lots of times to Canada, Alaska, Norway, going again to Norway in April, lots of places in the US (just spent time checking flights to North Carolina this summer). Some of these trips have been and will be on my own, some with my husband.

So don't let the wheelchair and the complications it brings, stop you from doing what you love! It's do-able...just in different ways, and with different kinds of planning! :)

MandD,Katisdale and Uppitycats,

Thank you so for your valuable insights.I'm having a hard time transitioning.The cruise line just told me there were no wheelchair accessible excursions on my cruise and a private car would be about $1100 for four hours. Boo Hoo.:eek:Will keep you posted:confused:

Viennaborn, where are you going on your cruise? Even if the cruise line doesn't offer accessible tours that doesn't mean something cannot be worked out and at a price you can afford. I use either "easy" tours (if it is not in a big bus) from the ship or make private arrangements. Taking a taxi tour of an island in the carribean is both easy if you can transfer and lower cost than the ship's car offer.

My cruise goes from Barcelona to Athens and there are no"easy options" beyond "a visit to a perfume factory' or a cooking class that I don't think I can manage.I've never seen so few options plus to be told that nothing is available for wheelchair users.There is the possiblity of getting a cab once we arrive,but I don't want to take the chance of the wheel chair not fitting etc. etc.

Thanks for asking.At this point I feel like canceling.:(

My cruise goes from Barcelona to Athens and there are no"easy options" beyond "a visit to a perfume factory' or a cooking class that I don't think I can manage.I've never seen so few options plus to be told that nothing is available for wheelchair users.There is the possiblity of getting a cab once we arrive,but I don't want to take the chance of the wheel chair not fitting etc. etc.

A foldable manual wheelchair will fit in the trunk of most taxis. At worst, if there are two of you, one of you requests that you sit in the front passenger seat, the other in the back, and the wheelchair will fit in the back, lying on its back.

Or you just get off and walk (be pushed) a bit around the port area -- many of the ports in European cities are right near "downtown"...

The WORST scenario -- you stay on the ship when it's in port, enjoy the scenery off the side, enjoy the quiet on the ship, get a chance to chat informally with a crew member who is also relishing the quiet, get a break on spa services and indulge yourself, find a couple of other folks who stayed on board and make new friends, just relax.

I do this a lot, and while it's not nearly as exciting as going off on an excursion, it can be very relaxing and de-stressing.

I agree. We did the Med when my mother was still using a manual folding chair (Quickie II) and we found that hiring cabs and going on our on was the way to get around when sights were not within walking distance of the pier. You do need to do a little preparation (on line or with a guide book) to decide where you want to go, and how to ask for the destination from your cab drivers (not all speak English), but that was part of the fun. If you can transfer to a car, cabs are the way to go.

We did learn in Istanbul to have the cab driver show us the trunk BEFORE transferring to the cab though. There many of the trunks were filled with extra gas tanks. We had to change to a different cab, and then learned to check that out for the rest of the day. It worked great.

A light weight folding wheelchair with quick-release (large) wheels is your best bet. Remove the leg rests and wheels, fold, pop it into the trunk, and reverse the process at your destination.

My parents went one time on a non-cruise vacation to Spain and found that strapping the same manual wheelchair above to the roof of the taxi was an option in many places, so don't give up on cabs too easily.

Some travel supply places sell a 'travel chair' with wheels that has to be pushed. They are a poor investment and are not comfortable at all.

Buy, rent or borrow a real wheel chair that fits you. You will be safer, happier and more comfortable.

Admitting that you need to roll is a big step for most people, but being able to do so will reduce your travel fatique and get you around to more places on your ship and off.

OK, I have been to many of the cities on your cruise. You can have a good time. First, can you transfer to a vehicle at all or must you stay in the wheelchair all the time? I can still walk a little which of course helps a lot. In Barcelona we took a standard city tour from the cruise line. I got off and viewed Sagrada Familia but stayed on the bus for the other stops. I enjoyed that tour. In several of the cities the cruise line offered an "on your own" tour where they provided transport from the port to the city. These worked quite well for us. In Florence and Rome we arranged private tours with a group called "driver in rome". This was a bit pricey but since we were not in a big bus we got to go to the sites and greatly reduced the walking/pushing. In Athens we spent three nights and had private tours there as well. Google "accessible Athens" or anyother city on your itinerary and you will find lots of choices. Good luck.

Thanks to all of you for all your good advice and suggestions.I guess I am on the wrong cruise for me.{small boat and a non=helpful disability wise staff]

I don't mind "sitting a few ports out'' The ship is lovely,but I do want to see something.Barcelona sounds doable,The others iffy,mostly Greek Islands

Navplion,Mykonos,Symi,Crete,Gythion and Marmaris and Kusadasi Turkey

Also Sorrento,PORTOFINO and Civitavecchia Italy. I've been to Rome would rather see the countryside.

Do you think I couldtake a chance on getting a cab in these locations?

What would you experienced travelers suggest? Thanks so for your imput.:)

Of the ports you mentioned, besides Barcelona being doable with ease, Sorrento, Portofino, and Kusadasi are all great places to rent taxis. You will be able to see twice as much for half the price of the ship's tours.

Just be sure to get back on time.

Sounds like a great trip,

GC

Sometimes you can find a taxi in the port and then you will need to agree on a fare. I seldom do that because I want to know if the car/taxi has sufficient space for my scooter. First I sign up for the roll call for my cruise here on Cruise Critic. First I choose the line and then the ship and then the date of my cruise. This lets me talk to people who are on my cruise and may have ideas of what to do in each port. Second cruise critic has great ports of call boards. I use these to get the names of drivers/guides that others have used in the ports I am going to be visiting. Most people include an e-mail address or website for the guides they have used. This is very helpful and frequently they include what they paid.

The roll call is always a good idea but as long as you can transfer, a wheelchair has a better chance of fitting in a taxi than a scooter. We have always seen more than enough to choose from at every pier and i agree that negotiating a price is a must.

Don't be alarmed if the drivers seem to be discussing you and your chair. We have had the first in line pass us on to another if my chair would not fit as well in his vehicle.

I think you will find it a great experience as you seem to have an adventurous spirit.

I will check back in case you have any other questions.

http://www.sorrentotours.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=2155

hello,in sorrento there is a hop on hop of bus.Look at the link above.Also in Barcelona.they are easy to enter at the back of the bus and you have space inside the bus to put your wheelchair in.

I always use this kind of sightseeing busses with my mother who is using a walker or a wheelchair.

Most of these busses have a stop at the pier or near the place were the ships-shuttle will bring you.A search on google will bring you Lott's of information about hop on hop of busses or sightseeing busses.

good luck,

burny

Some other things for you to know. If you fly. Do inform the airline ahead of time (phone the number). Tell them you need wheelchair assistance., You will find that they will ensure that you get to the gates on time. You go thru shorter lines. You will be first on last off. Wheelchairs travel free on US and Canadian airlines. Canada has the Disability Act similar to your ADA.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you all for your helpful advice. We decided to get a light weight foldable wheelchair,not a transport chair{thanks for setting me straight on that one]:) and book a few tours from home. Also I"m trying to readjust my attitude to one of Whatever I see will be better than staying home. If all of you can do it so can I:D:D:D

Thanks for writing

I want to thank you all for your helpful advice. We decided to get a light weight foldable wheelchair,not a transport chair{thanks for setting me straight on that one]:) and book a few tours from home. Also I"m trying to readjust my attitude to one of Whatever I see will be better than staying home. If all of you can do it so can I:D:D:D

Thanks for writing

Glad we could be of help! And enjoy your travels! :)

Try to google " Private Tour Guides Barcelona", you may find some thing there. Try gthe same for Athens.

Good Luck, enjoy your cruising.

Cato ;)

Completed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Fifth Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Seventh cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

Eighth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

Ninth cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale Ret.

Try to google " Private Tour Guides Barcelona", you may find some thing there. Try the same for Athens.

Good Luck, enjoy your cruising.

Cato ;)

Completed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Fifth Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Seventh cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

Eighth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

Ninth cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale Ret.

Archived