Price Increase??

MiaS13

It's two weeks before our Eastern Caribbean cruise... my grandparents could not longer resist and decided to join us last minute!

I started trying to find them a cabin, and saw that prices had gone up $200 per person accross all cabin categories from 3 weeks ago. Then, yesterday after lunch, another $300 per person increase :eek:.

Is this common? Am I out of luck and should just bite the bullet? At this point my poor grandparents will pay more for an inside cabin than we paid for an unobstructed balcony.... I thought prices were supposed to go down as the sail date got closer?

Is there any hope the price will go down again?

It's two weeks before our Eastern Caribbean cruise... my grandparents could not longer resist and decided to join us last minute!

I started trying to find them a cabin, and saw that prices had gone up $200 per person accross all cabin categories from 3 weeks ago. Then, yesterday after lunch, another $300 per person increase :eek:.

Is this common? Am I out of luck and should just bite the bullet? At this point my poor grandparents will pay more for an inside cabin than we paid for an unobstructed balcony.... I thought prices were supposed to go down as the sail date got closer?

Perhaps you just had some bad timing. Sailings just a week later are currently being discounted. There is a chance that your week happened to be a Spring break week for very populous school districts, or earlier deep discounting (Tuesday specials) moved additional inventory. There is a travel agency in Europe (can't share the link per Cruise Critic rules) that shows available cabins. The March 13th Solstice sailing has only five balcony rooms available (two 1A, one 1B, & two SV)

It does not surprise me that there is now upward pressure on prices for all categories of cabins.

I saw similiar upward price movements on my holiday sailing on Century.

I would not expect the price to go down in the next few days. They will likely remain high until the day that they are no longer taking bookings. With the rooms they sell in the next few days they will achieve enough revenue that they coudl sail with a few empty rooms.

Also judging from comments on your roll call, someone was able to get a deal on a 1A balcony last week. Sounds like you missed the window on discounted bookings.

It's official! After nearly two months of sitting on the proverbial fence, we are now CONFIRMED on this sailing! Booked a great last minute fare on a 1A Balcony cabin this week and we're really excited since this will be our first cruise with Celebrity!

It is very common. That is why it is recommended to book early. For the most part you get a better price and selection of rooms booking early. If you notice when searching for cruises that the higher grade cabins will priced lower than the lower grades, EG balconies will be less than the inside or ocean view. The cruise line makes sure that those are filled up first at the price they want. You see those promotions of balconies for the price of an inside. That is why you may hear people bragging about getting a "upgrade" form inside to balcony. If they would have done a little research they would have seen that the price for an inside was the same or more than a balcony. No upgrade, just a regular pricing strategy. But it makes them happy. When the balconies fill up the inside may reduce in price to what they should be so now they think there is a reduction. That is one reason that passengers that paid for the inside and got an upgrade think paid too much because the price decreased for the inside. When in fact what they paid for was a balcony and that is what they got. The cruise line is protected by giving the "upgrade" so they don't have to adjust the price unless the person is willing to take the lower price and an inside. The balcony that is vacated will be used for the balcony guaranteed.

You may luck out because of someone's bad luck of having to cancel but don't count on it.

If you see something you better book it otherwise it may be SOLD OUT.

You could check one of the sites that tell you how many rooms are available for your sailing. That would give you an idea if they would possibly drop again.

As PartyAllDaTyme says it is all about supply and demand.

Two weeks before a cruise one of two things will usually be happening:

If the cruise has sold well and is nearing the point of selling out the prices will be going up - sometimes dramatically so. For example, the C1 cabins for our Constellation cruise in 3 1/2 weeks were one of the few cabin types still available as of a day or two ago at about 30% more than what we booked them at 19 months ago and in years gone by I've seen last minuite prices nearly double what we booked at early on.

If the cruise has lots of vacancies then remaining cabins will be going on sale to fill them up - sometimes at great prices including Tuesday Specials and real nice senior discounts.

The fact that your cruise has pricing going up indicates it is probably near selling out and if your parents really want to go on this cruise they would probably do best booking sooner than later.

Perhaps you just had some bad timing. Sailings just a week later are currently being discounted. There is a chance that your week happened to be a Spring break week for very populous school districts, or earlier deep discounting (Tuesday specials) moved additional inventory. There is a travel agency in Europe (can't share the link per Cruise Critic rules) that shows available cabins. The March 13th Solstice sailing has only five balcony rooms available (two 1A, one 1B, & two SV)

It does not surprise me that there is now upward pressure on prices for all categories of cabins.

I saw similiar upward price movements on my holiday sailing on Century.

I would not expect the price to go down in the next few days. They will likely remain high until the day that they are no longer taking bookings. With the rooms they sell in the next few days they will achieve enough revenue that they coudl sail with a few empty rooms.

Also judging from comments on your roll call, someone was able to get a deal on a 1A balcony last week. Sounds like you missed the window on discounted bookings.

I've been fearing this whole time that you're saying is true... it's just so unfortunate, the grandparents found a little extra cash just in time to join us, but will have to pay extra for the opportunity.

I guess I'm hoping for a "Spring Break" Miracle now!

And yes, Miami-Dade county schools will be on spring break that week ... mom is a teacher, which is why she picked this week to begin with :(

I'm disappointed after reading the title of the thread. (*sarcasm alert*)

What with all the talk here about price drops and not getting credits or refunds, I was hoping to see maybe the price of someone's cruise went up, they called Celebrity, and paid the difference. And then came here to complain about it. ;)

(don't worry, OP, this isn't in any way aimed at you -- just a sarcastic comment given the trend of comments on the price-drop issue as of late)

I'm disappointed after reading the title of the thread. (*sarcasm alert*)

What with all the talk here about price drops and not getting credits or refunds, I was hoping to see maybe the price of someone's cruise went up, they called Celebrity, and paid the difference. And then came here to complain about it. ;)

(don't worry, OP, this isn't in any way aimed at you -- just a sarcastic comment given the trend of comments on the price-drop issue as of late)

Please!... Sarcasm runs in my family ... thanks for the laugh of the day :o

Being on the ship is the first victory. The site the other poster mentioned is the one that I used as well to find the five available balconies. You might want to check to see if any of those balcony rooms are still available 5-6 days before your sailing. If so, you might be able to see if you could get the grandparents upgraded to those rooms without too much additional expense. Good luck!

Thank you, I will probably follow your advice. At this point I'm just driving myself crazy hitting refresh on the online travel agency every few minutes looking for a price change. I should take a breather since they are already confirmed on the ship afterall.

The craziest part is, that there actually is a LOT of movement of cabins being sold out, becoming available, and vice-versa... not much price change today though... so a little hope for those who don't care about price but are looking for a sky or sunset suite... they were available a few minutes ago! :cool:

THANK YOU SO Much for the tip! :D

Our TA has been really wonderful and we booked them in that really high priced inside cabin... but we will keep a lookout in case there is a chance for a worthy upgrade... which is what I guess I'm wishing on a star for.

Someone has posted the link for the Tuesday specials on the Celebrity thread. I don't know what sailing you are looking at but the Tuewsday specials are four pages long this week......

You mean the prices went up!!?! After all the threads bemoaning how terrible the cruise lines are for not giving us All the price drops, including ones after final payment and the ones on special deals such as 'Tuesday Specials' and so on so there was no reason to book early? Boy, I guess there Is a reason to book early, if you can.

And I'm glad our OP understands sarcasm aimed at other posters on other threads.

OP, enjoy your cruise and it sounds like your attitude is so good, it will be a Great cruise for you! Wish I could pay the extra and join you....I would if I could!

Den

You mean the prices went up!!?! After all the threads bemoaning how terrible the cruise lines are for not giving us All the price drops, including ones after final payment and the ones on special deals such as 'Tuesday Specials' and so on so there was no reason to book early? Boy, I guess there Is a reason to book early, if you can.

And I'm glad our OP understands sarcasm aimed at other posters on other threads.

OP, enjoy your cruise and it sounds like your attitude is so good, it will be a Great cruise for you! Wish I could pay the extra and join you....I would if I could!

Den

I don't think anyone 'bemoaning' the current policy, myself included, was suggesting that prices never increase. However, the fact remains that booking early is not a guarantee of the lowest price and the price can, and often does, change after final payment is made.

My gripe is that the current policy now provides Celebrity with an incentive to avoid dropping the price until after final payment - thereby maximizing their profit without concern over those loyal customers who booked early. As I stated in a previous post, I have been watching the cruise prices a lot this spring and I have noticed a significant shift in the number of cruises that have gone down in price after final payment. I will simply now play the game a bit differently, in an effort to not get burned again.

By the way OP, we've been watching an Eclipse cruise in Dec 11 as a getaway and to get back to Celebrity. It had a nice price for AQ, and it just went up $100pp.

When I go home, going to talk with me wife and probably put a reservation down on it.

And yes, cruizfanatic, those that were bemoaning the new rules weren't saying that prices would not go up, but there was a lot of 'there's no reason/incentive to book early' which is basically the same thing. If posters are saying there isn't a reason to book early, then they are really saying they believe the prices won't go up and the drops will be after the final payment date, and blocked from those that booked early.

Many of the cruises I've taken (most in fact) have gone up. Usually go on pretty popular ones, but the Eclipse one that just went up, at least for AQ, is a bit of a low interest one because it's between the popular holiday times. Go figure. AQ must be popular with more than a few of 'us' considering trying it on a low cost cruise.

We all use our own strategy...mine is, if I find a cruise which I like the itinerary, fits in our calendar and price, we go with it.

Personally, I don't know if I could survive without a booked cruise in my plans. But that's why some book early and others book later and aren't worried about types of cabin, maybe not specific itinearies, ships or even cruise lines.

I don't consider it being 'burned' since I like to pick a good cabin, want a cabin type (veranda for sure and maybe AQ this time!), and if I think its worth it, I pay the price. What I Don't do is once I've made Final Payment, I don't go checking prices to see if my cruise/cabin dropped. Just not my thing to aggravage myself - and I know thats not what cruzfanatic was saying they did.

Life is fun with variety.

Denny

By the way OP, we've been watching an Eclipse cruise in Dec 11 as a getaway and to get back to Celebrity. It had a nice price for AQ, and it just went up $100pp.

When I go home, going to talk with me wife and probably put a reservation down on it.

And yes, cruizfanatic, those that were bemoaning the new rules weren't saying that prices would not go up, but there was a lot of 'there's no reason/incentive to book early' which is basically the same thing. If posters are saying there isn't a reason to book early, then they are really saying they believe the prices won't go up and the drops will be after the final payment date, and blocked from those that booked early.

Many of the cruises I've taken (most in fact) have gone up. Usually go on pretty popular ones, but the Eclipse one that just went up, at least for AQ, is a bit of a low interest one because it's between the popular holiday times. Go figure. AQ must be popular with more than a few of 'us' considering trying it on a low cost cruise.

We all use our own strategy...mine is, if I find a cruise which I like the itinerary, fits in our calendar and price, we go with it.

In our case, I originally booked us (DH and I) and my parents Jan 20th on a 2C (partial Obstruct.) for this March 13 sailing (2 months ahead)... at this point, it was already past the final payment date, so we paid in full. A week later, they released Resident Discounts, which put cat. 2B (un-obstruct) at the same price we paid for the 2C. Our TA upgraded us at no cost... there was still a decent amount of inventory, plenty to choose from and I was able to get two adjoining cabins.

I kept looking at the prices, and while the lower categories (inside and window) went down about $100, the general balconies stayed the same.... pretty much until last week when all cats. went up significantly ... a day after the grandparents decided to join us!

I don't know if our cruise was ever on the Tuesday sales, as I only discovered that awesome little "secret" 3 weeks ago here on CC.

Anyway Denny, looong story short... maybe you could book the lowest cat. you're comfortable with... then hope prices drop and upgrade at no cost? Dec. is still 8 months away, it could still be on the Tuesday sale, and like you said, it's off season.

I guess unless you REALLY want this one specific cabin #XXXX....

I guess I'm one to talk, the one freaking out about booking too late! lol.:D

Archived