Anyone done theseMt. McKinley & Denali Excursions?

sdatex

Doing a tour in early June and doing these 2 excursions: at the Princess Mt. McKinley lodge we'll do the Byers Lake Nature Walk and at the Denali Princess Lodge we'll be doing the Black Diamond ATV Adventure. Any feedback on either or both of these would be appreciated. :)

Doing a tour in early June and doing these 2 excursions: at the Princess Mt. McKinley lodge we'll do the Byers Lake Nature Walk and at the Denali Princess Lodge we'll be doing the Black Diamond ATV Adventure. Any feedback on either or both of these would be appreciated. :)

I am interested in any feedback you get also. I am considering the horseback riding trip in Denali, too. I thought that would be a different perspective of the park. Anyone done that ?

After much research on tripadvisor.com, we have decided on 2 excursions. One is the Byers Lake walking tour when we are at Mckinley Princess Lodge. The other is on our own, taking the Princess shuttle to the Park Visitor center and doing the Park shuttle to Eielson Center. It is an 8 hour round trip, including one hiking stop.

The Denali bus shuttle has been recommended over the Tundra tour or the Natural History tours that the cruise ships offer, since you go further into the park and can get on and off whenever you want.

After much research on tripadvisor.com, we have decided on 2 excursions. One is the Byers Lake walking tour when we are at Mckinley Princess Lodge. The other is on our own, taking the Princess shuttle to the Park Visitor center and doing the Park shuttle to Eielson Center. It is an 8 hour round trip, including one hiking stop.

The Denali bus shuttle has been recommended over the Tundra tour or the Natural History tours that the cruise ships offer, since you go further into the park and can get on and off whenever you want.

Agree that the NPS shuttle bus is the preferred (and probably cheaper) way to go.

I can not picture a "tour" walk at Beyers Lake, unless it is real cheap, I'm afraid, it isn't going to be much.

I've walked around the lake, you certainly do not need a guide. In the past they have had a "problem" sow, over several years. Rare to see during the day, and mostly seen by campers. There is a trail up to the Vets Memorial, and that is worthwhile.

But to "pay" to walk around the lake at this so so state park??? I question it. I've stayed here several nights, including last year.

Where do you find the Vets Memorial trail? Does it begin out of the Mt. McKinley Lodge?

No it is from Beyers Lake campgrounds.

Do you have your own transportation??? Only way you are going to get there, unless taking the Princess bus, to/from Denali Park, AND they decide to stop there. I have seen the Princess bus in the parking lot, but do not know, what particular bus it was.

I am interested in any feedback you get also. I am considering the horseback riding trip in Denali, too. I thought that would be a different perspective of the park. Anyone done that ?

You should note that neither the ATV trip or the horseback riding is in the park itself.

You should note that neither the ATV trip or the horseback riding is in the park itself.

I did see that, but wondered if the trail ride would be anything special. We will be going into the park on one of our days at the Denali lodge, but thought the ride might have some good scenery, also. Maybe we'll do the Devil's Canyon trip instead. Any preference between that and the Three Rivers tour?

thanks for the info.

Archived