Christchurch alternate.

Wyuna1

Have just been advised via my cruise personaliser that Akaroa is the alternate port on Pacific Pearl cruise P111. I imagine this will be the case on future cruises this season.

and I think Dawn Princess called in yesterday instead of Lyttleton.

I wonder if all the tours went ahead , or if they limited it to just local tours.?

I think there will be a selection of tours available as I think I remember Sandy (Sandielle) saying that she was able to access her Transalpine tour she wanted to do from there. But that's P&O so I don't know about the others.

Jenny

Our cruise is also going to Akoroa , sounds like they all are.

Cruise personaliser does state that Trans Alpine train trip will be leaving from there. :) Glad we will not miss out on that , as it is the only tour we booked. And it is our anniversary that day.

Cruise will be great anyway even though we are changing ports.

Cruise personaliser does state that Trans Alpine train trip will be leaving from there. :) Glad we will not miss out on that , as it is the only tour we booked. And it is our anniversary that day.

Enjoy it, the countryside is just beautiful. We drove upto Arthurs Pass. The cruise ships charter a train for the trip.

Here is an update that I found on their website:

The Christchurch Earthquake Update

KiwiRail resumes TranzAlpine train from Christchurch to West Coast.

From Monday 7 March, the iconic TranzAlpine train will begin running between Christchurch and Greymouth.

The TranzAlpine and TranzCoastal were suspended following the earthquake in Christchurch on 22 February. The TranzAlpine has been suspended until now so resources could be concentrated on the important task of keeping supplies to Christchurch moving via KiwiRail Freight.

“We now have the resources available, staff are ready to come back to work and we have passengers wanting to travel on one of the world’s great train trips,” comments Deborah Hume, KiwiRail’s General Manager Rail Passenger. “We can also support local suppliers and tourism businesses in Canterbury and the West Coast.”

The TranzAlpine will resume operations with an 8.15am departure from the Christchurch passenger railway station in Troup Drive, which was undamaged in the earthquake. “It sends a clear signal that, while Christchurch city centre has been affected, the rest of New Zealand still has stunning scenery and is very much open for tourism business.”

Please be aware that you will not board the Trans Alpine train at Akaroa, but will travel by bus to reach the train.

There is no rail road to Akaroa.

Please be aware that you will not board the Trans Alpine train at Akaroa, but will travel by bus to reach the train.

There is no rail road to Akaroa.

I think even from Lyttleton, you have had to go by bus to the train station, which I believe is at Addington.

Sounds like they will just have to leave a little earlier from Akaroa to get to the train.

I have also been on the train when "tour parties " have joined the trip at Darfield. I guess its how they organise it on the day to fit in with the various time frames.

Rhapsody is also calling into Akaroa on her current cruise. It's a cute little French town where the street names are in French.

Akaroa means 'Long Harbour' in Maori.

Jilly:)

Lots of history in Akaroa.

If France had been a bit quicker,

we would all be speaking French over here.:eek::eek:

I think even from Lyttleton, you have had to go by bus to the train station, which I believe is at Addington.

Sounds like they will just have to leave a little earlier from Akaroa to get to the train.

I have also been on the train when "tour parties " have joined the trip at Darfield. I guess its how they organise it on the day to fit in with the various time frames.

Sometimes people board the train at Rolleston.

Kiwikruzer...... You may well now be speaking French but you would still be in the Super 15's not the Six Nations, unfortunately for the Wallabies and the Waratahs. Go the tahs.

Archived