2 Questions about Ephesus private tours

I'm looking at Hello Ephesus and Ekol. For those who have used those services have you paid in advance with the understanding you be reimbursed if the ship was unable to make port?

Ekol will be $27 more per person than Hello Ephesus for a 1/2 day tour of Ephesus & the terrace houses . Neither tour mentions lunch or carpet factory is Ekol worth that much more money per person ?

thanks

We're booked w/EKOL for our May visit to Ephesus and the terms are that a credit card # is provided in advance, but payment is not made until the time of the tour.

I understand that there is no charge if the ship is unable to dock for weather, etc.

I'm looking at Hello Ephesus and Ekol. For those who have used those services have you paid in advance with the understanding you be reimbursed if the ship was unable to make port?

Ekol will be $27 more per person than Hello Ephesus for a 1/2 day tour of Ephesus & the terrace houses . Neither tour mentions lunch or carpet factory is Ekol worth that much more money per person ?

thanks

Ekol did a leather workshop and showroom for us, not a carpet factory. High quality stuff, quite expensive. We got back to the Kusadasi in time to grab lunch on our own in the marketplace area which is essentially across the street from the plaza in front of the dock.

We just booked with Hello tours for August and we were told to pay the guide on the day of the tour. They prefer US dollars but would accept credit cards if you let guide know at beginning of tour.

In any given port, most folks will only have done a tour with one operator, not both, so it will probably be hard for anyone to compare these two tour operators for you.

We used Ekol last year (for Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses, and the Mary House and Temple of Artemis) and could not have been happier with them. From setting things up to the actual guide, they were simply fantastic. Our most enjoyable single day of our 12-day Med cruise. We paid our guide at the end of the tour. Not having used Hello Ephesus, I can't tell you whether Ekol is worth more per person, but I can say that Ekol was worth every penny (or Turkish lira) we paid.

BTW, if you do use a tour operator where you have to give a credit card to confirm the tour, reputable shore excursion operators will not charge you if the ship is unable to call at the port (for whatever reason). Do confirm that in advance.

As to lunch and carpet factories, it's YOUR tour. Set it up the way you want it with the operator. Make your wishes known, agree on the itinerary, and have a copy of the emailed itinerary with you.

Have a great trip! Ephesus is extraordinary.

We did a full day tour with Denis last fall (Navigator from Rome 12 day egypt) and had an amazing time for 55USD per person including lunch (group of 28). The carpet factory was indeed interesting but we did not bought anything. We were able to customize the tour as much as we wanted and the guide was terriric. Would highly recommend Denis (he even speaks french) and Ephesus Deluxe!

I am not concerned about being taken to a carpet demo. My 13 y.o. loves to know how things are made. My thought for the price difference was that maybe lunch was included in the higher price but neither site mentions lunch or shopping .

thanks

We took a half-day tour of Ephesus with the Terrace Houses (well worth the extra), with Hello Ephesus in June. They were great! There was no deposit required, just pay at the end, preferably in US $. There were 4 of us and the price was per person. It was a nice air-conditioned van (very hot in June), driver and guide. She (the guide) spoke great English and was very informative, taking us through the entire site and Terrace Houses.

We did stop at a carpet factory and while we looked at carpets, they served us Turkish coffee (and other assorted beverages) and some yummy snacks. The folks with us bought a rug, otherwise we would have been out of there sooner. It was a half-day tour, so no lunch and we did end up skipping a stop or two and going back to the ship because one person was not feeling well. You can talk to the guide about what exactly you would like to see and what to skip. They are very accommodating.

I would not hesitate to book with Hello Ephesus again!

Archived