advice for pre-cruise time in London and Paris

The Metro Stations at Gard du Nord are downstairs we used the escalators to get down to them from the long concourse where the International and Country trains arrive.

We did the reverse last year in Paris when we went from a Metro Station to the area where the trains leave for cities outside Paris and it was easy to do.

If I was in Paris for the first time, I would go to the Eiffel Tower. The nearest station is Champ de Mars/Tour Eiffel on Line RER C. From there depending on what you want to see you can go either to the Louvre, or to Les Invalides where Napoleon is buried, walk along the Champs Elysee, go to the Mariais district etc. Just use the Metro as it is so easy to follow.

The first time we ever went to Paris we were staying near the Arc de Triumph so we started there by climbing up to the top, then we walked the length of the Champs Elysee to Place de la Concord, then to the Madeline Church and then we just continued walking all day, up to Montmartre and back to our hotel. It took us hours but we were trying to stay awake as we had arrived at 6am from a 26 hour flight from Australia and the best way to overcome jet lag is to keep awake all day, go to bed around 7pm and next day you are back to normal.

I adore Paris, it is my favourite city and Venice is a close second.

Jennie

When you arrived at Gare du Nord is it hard to find the metro trains? I read you can get a carnet of tickets while on the Eurostar train. Did you do this? If not, is it hard to find the ticket window? What do you suggest starting with first on a day in Paris? Which metro station?

Thanks for any help!

As Aussie Gal said, the metro station is in the same 'tunnel' as Gard du Nord, just a different level. it is about a 10 minute walk. As for buying tickets on the eurostar, they were selling them, but only had a limited supply, and by the time I got there, there were gone. No big deal though, we bought what we needed at the metro station.

We did things a bit differently than Aussie Gal. We wanted to see Sacre Coeur, so had a detailed plan all laid out for us by Heinblod who gave us the exact station to go to and how to get back. we also wanted to walk around Pigalle and see the Moulin Rouge. I have the map some where and If you need specific advice I can get it. From there, we took the metro (same line I beleive) to the Arc De Triumph, walked around there a bit and then back to the metro, (a different line this time, but same station) to the Eiffel tower. From there we walked, did the Bat-o-bus,and after a long day, ended up at Notre Dame. from there you catch one train back to Gard du Nord and onto the eurostar.

Again, I CAN get you exact stations if needed, if no one else can supply them. The metro in paris is not as easy as say the Tube in London, but it is OK and the quickest way to get from point A to point B.

Cheers

Len

Thank you both for all the info! I think once we get started we will do a lot of walking and not need the metro very much. Just want to get headed to the first metro stop without problems. :) I think for us the Eiffel Tower will be the starting point. If it is raining, maybe change that to Notre Dame.

Can I clarify the situation with the trains? I actually do travel between St. Pancras and Gatwick.

You will be able to get to the platform level via a lift at Gatwick. However your luggage will be a real problem on the train if you travel in the rush hour - the train goes from Brighton (on the South Coast) to Bedford (forty miles north of London) via the City - which is prime commuter belt. These trains get horribly busy, and the option of First Class is unlikely to help.

However will you actually be travelling in the rush hour? If your plane lands at 8:05, you will be unlikely to be free until when? O9:00? And that is assuming that the plane is on time.

The train will take roughly an hour. It isn't a pleasant train. I loathe it. Getting to St. Pancras is a relief - but you'll have to get off the train quite quickly! There will be a lot of people around.

St. Pancras is a beautiful station - it has recently been completely refurbished and is a gem. There is full lift access between platform level (First Capital Connect trains are below the station proper) and the main station. There are places to eat and drink and you will find that the station merits a bit of a look.

I'm not going to give you times, but if it were me then I'd be looking at a train at about noon. If you book First Class you will have lunch on board. I have no idea what they do in Second Class.

Hope that helps.

WD

Does it make more sense to continue on to Paris by plane? I've flown LHR → CDG, but have never been to Gatwick.

I know travel between CDG and Paris via the RER is quick and easy.

Lew

Can I clarify the situation with the trains? I actually do travel between St. Pancras and Gatwick.

You will be able to get to the platform level via a lift at Gatwick. However your luggage will be a real problem on the train if you travel in the rush hour - the train goes from Brighton (on the South Coast) to Bedford (forty miles north of London) via the City - which is prime commuter belt. These trains get horribly busy, and the option of First Class is unlikely to help.

However will you actually be travelling in the rush hour? If your plane lands at 8:05, you will be unlikely to be free until when? O9:00? And that is assuming that the plane is on time.

The train will take roughly an hour. It isn't a pleasant train. I loathe it. Getting to St. Pancras is a relief - but you'll have to get off the train quite quickly! There will be a lot of people around.

St. Pancras is a beautiful station - it has recently been completely refurbished and is a gem. There is full lift access between platform level (First Capital Connect trains are below the station proper) and the main station. There are places to eat and drink and you will find that the station merits a bit of a look.

I'm not going to give you times, but if it were me then I'd be looking at a train at about noon. If you book First Class you will have lunch on board. I have no idea what they do in Second Class.

Hope that helps.

WD

This is helpful info. Thanks. Sounds as though there are no porters available at these stations, is that true? If not, how do the disabled manage?

Archived