Passport to Paradise at De Palm Island

KelleKae

Just returned from the Golden Princess with a stop in Aruba. Our group of 10 took the 1/2 excursion to De Palm Island. Here's the scoop on the good and the bad with this excursion. Quick ride from cruise ship to the small dock with the tender that you board for a 10 minute ride to "De Palm Island." The island itself is fairly disappointing. The snorkeling was great, the fish are really colorful but the reef is so close to the top of the water that you can literally get "high centered" on the rocks and it can hurt when you hit it! So beware while you are out there! There is a little tiny area they consider a beach where you can swim but it is very rocky and basically it's a wading pool. One side of the island looks directly at the water purification plant which is not very pleasant. It's great that you they have the "all-inclusive" drinks, rum punch, food, etc. Our group wasn't quite sure what the verdict was on this excursion. I think if we had known we would have opted for a really nice beach resort rather than the snorkeling. Feel free to ask questions if you like!

Just returned from the Golden Princess with a stop in Aruba. Our group of 10 took the 1/2 excursion to De Palm Island. Here's the scoop on the good and the bad with this excursion. Quick ride from cruise ship to the small dock with the tender that you board for a 10 minute ride to "De Palm Island." The island itself is fairly disappointing. The snorkeling was great, the fish are really colorful but the reef is so close to the top of the water that you can literally get "high centered" on the rocks and it can hurt when you hit it! So beware while you are out there! There is a little tiny area they consider a beach where you can swim but it is very rocky and basically it's a wading pool. One side of the island looks directly at the water purification plant which is not very pleasant. It's great that you they have the "all-inclusive" drinks, rum punch, food, etc. Our group wasn't quite sure what the verdict was on this excursion. I think if we had known we would have opted for a really nice beach resort rather than the snorkeling. Feel free to ask questions if you like!
We're signed up for this next week and have been having 2nd thoughts. Your experience probably just swayed is over to the Palm Beach trip if we can get on it - it's waitlisted right now. Did you see anyone doing the helmet dive that let you know how it was? Thanks.

~Paul

We did the Paradise at DePalm Island tour back in Dec and loved it. I would recommend it to beginning and moderate snorklers. Although I think they also do real dives. Yes the water was a bit shallow, but I didnt find it to be a problem..just be aware. Tons of fish, plenty of time to explore. The water treatment plant was on the opposite side of the island, so we werent looking at it. All we could see was the crystal blue clear water. Man it was nice there!

I will do it again if I ever go back to Aruba. The open bar and luncheon was great, no complaints here. We went in the morning and the water was clear. Others who went in the afternoon found it murkier..just a thought. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Golden Princess and went on Passport to Paradise tourl

Our group of 8 thought it was a bargain at $39 pp.

We had read the boards b4 cruisin and knew we weren't going to a long, walking beach. The parrot fish are easily seen from the pier and anyone that's not a snorkeler can enjoy. Lots of nice shady areas, good food, good drinks.

A nice relaxing day.

Archived