Question on Airfare: US to Europe

Hello,

I was investigating doing a European Cruise in 2012 and was looking at airfares to various cities in Europe. I noticed "taxes and fees" for various airlines on a coach fare were more than $450.00 US pp, and am wondering why it is so much? In some instances that is the same as the fare!

I don't know the why of your question, but I assume your question is based in how to get the cheapest airfare to Europe.

There are two things to look for; When you fly and through what airport. Traditionally Amsterdam is one of the cheapest gateways to Europe. As far as when, you will find the cheapest airfare just before and after 'season' I don't mean to buy your fare then I mean that the summer season kicks off after June 10th or so. If your cruise starts before that date you might save. Same with post season. Though your weather might be a little cooler. For a late May/early June booking - look to confirm your air the early part of March.

Clarkhoward.com always has airfare alerts and advice on the wheres and whens.

Enjoy!

I'll second the comment about the city you fly from. We live in Raleigh and saved $1,500 on our upcoming cruise by flying out of Dullus instead of Raleigh. I'm glad to drive for four hours for that much money :D.

Kirk

I'll second the comment about the city you fly from. We live in Raleigh and saved $1,500 on our upcoming cruise by flying out of Dullus instead of Raleigh. I'm glad to drive for four hours for that much money :D.

Kirk

I agree about airfares cheaper in other cities. I can remember a couple of years ago choosing to fly out of Greensboro instead of Raleigh to Miami and saved over $600 for 2.

I checked prices for Europe for this summer but for the days we were flying it was only a few dollars cheaper to go from Dulles and not worth the drive.

But definitely check any locations that you feel you can reasonably drive and fly out from. Sometimes you can find much cheaper flights.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't remember the exact web-site, but it is possible to set up airfare alerts. You plug in your departing and arriving cities, and will be notified with an email if there is a good price. Look at the major booking engines.

It might take you a while to set them up for all the possibilities, but I scooped up a good airfare to Prague recently. I booked immediately, and the price had bumped up $300 within 2 hours of notification.

I won't address the expense of taxes and fees thru different places. BUT a great site to compare airfare is itasoftware.com. It's not a booking site. Look it over, there is a link to put in your variables. Once it gives you a list of the cost and flights available, look to the right for a time line, or bar graph to come up. This really is a great sight to compare. I can't say I know if it includes taxes and fees. I think it depends on the carrier site. I hope this helps at least a little. And I agree, wait till a little closer, winter they have promotions.

Archived