Giving Kids Freedom-How much and how??

bdklein

Looking to give my kids a little freedom while on a cruise, and Mom and Dad as well. Ship is the NCL Gem (not sure if that matters)

Kids are 11 and 8 (girls). Here are my thoughts.

1. They must be together.

2. They must have a specific, known, and agreed-to destination. Like get ice cream, go get a drink, etc. No wondering on the ship, and avoid the outside decks if possible. And no swimming.

3. They must return by XXX time.

4. They must carry the walkie-talkie (we will have the other one), and have it on (just ordered it-need to learn how to use them) and use if necessary.

5. Any issues, use the walkie-talkie or find a crew member.

6. Create a meeting point in case kids get lost.

7. If they are in the room, do not open the door if anyone knocks.

Any other tricks, pointers, comments, etc.? I'm sure I'l get my share of criticisms too (which may swing me in the other direction). Thanks all.

What do you let them do at home? A cruise ship is no different than letting your kids wander through a public mall or walk to the store alone. You don't know who is on the ship and whether they are the nicest people you've ever met or pedophiles.

If you know the girls are trustworthy (which it sounds like they are), then I would also consider how street-smart they are. Would they fall for a ploy of someone taunting them into a room? Drinking something? If that's not an issue, then some freedom is probably reasonable and I quite like your boundaries. Honestly I wouldn't let my boys out of my sight, but they will be 6.5 and 4 yrs on our next trip. Neither are very street-smart, but they do know how to back away from the black bears which occasionally come in our backyard!

I just get concerned when people think cruise ships are safer than being in any other public place, because that is certainly not the truth.

There's also the kids club, which could give you and your DH some freedom ;)

Looking to give my kids a little freedom while on a cruise, and Mom and Dad as well. Ship is the NCL Gem (not sure if that matters)

Kids are 11 and 8 (girls). Here are my thoughts.

1. They must be together.

2. They must have a specific, known, and agreed-to destination. Like get ice cream, go get a drink, etc. No wondering on the ship, and avoid the outside decks if possible. And no swimming.

3. They must return by XXX time.

4. They must carry the walkie-talkie (we will have the other one), and have it on (just ordered it-need to learn how to use them) and use if necessary.

5. Any issues, use the walkie-talkie or find a crew member.

6. Create a meeting point in case kids get lost.

7. If they are in the room, do not open the door if anyone knocks.

Any other tricks, pointers, comments, etc.? I'm sure I'l get my share of criticisms too (which may swing me in the other direction). Thanks all.

I think you have a good handle on it. Don't listen if others give you grief, you know your kids and what you can and can't trust them with. Nobody else knows them like you do.

The only other suggestion I would give you is to start off small. Maybe have them go for ice cream (and watch from afar to see how they do), then if that works well, extend it a bit at your comfort zone.

My kids are teens now but we still do check in on them from time to time to make sure they are doing what they said they would be. The best of kids sometimes do forget the rules when they are having a good time. Reminders along the way always help.

I think you've got it! I'd never give "free rein" to wander the ship, but I would allow specific trips to specific places.....just like I would at home!

Kids do need to have some independence, or they will not be successful adults....they need to learn that they can "do it alone" and trust their own judgement. Coddle kids too much, and they simply never learn to think on their own!

I think what you have suggested is very reasonable for children of that age. Most kids enjoy having some freedom and I think the boundaries and rules you have come up with are just right in my opinion.

I have read elsewhere on these forums some people saying if you wouldn't let your kids roam the streets by themselves why would you let them go off on their own (without an adult) on a cruise ship. Well a cruise ship is a safe and contained environment compared to roaming the streets. There are always passengers and staff around and if someone did commit a crime they wouldn't be able to go very far would they.

On our cruise our 10 year old and 13 year old often went to get ice cream or food from the buffet or went to other parts of the ship such as the waterslide etc. They always told us where they were going and reported back at regular intervals. We felt very comfortable in letting them do this and they are responsible girls who wouldn't annoy other passengers.

Ultimately it is up to you and you may not decide until you get on the ship and get a feel for the environment you are in.

Archived