How to you afford to cruise?

nytraveller53

I'm sure you can use your ultra-common sense and figure out what it means. I noticed that right after I submitted the thread...but I don't know how to edit titles. Everyone else overlooked that trivial thing and got to the question...I suggest you do the same.:rolleyes:

being that i detect you may actually be asking, just go into advance options to change the title of your post within the 15 minute limit.

I vote this thread be removed or locked...too much bickering. I will never ever understand arguing on a public forum with folks you DO NOT even know. I take every insult directed to me(which have been few) with a grain of salt.

People, you don't even know eachother, why waste time and energy having a cyber fight???

I don't get it either but some people just like to argue, sorry debate about anything or with anyone. I have some in my family always makes for fun holidays.:)

Back to the original question:

So my question it, How do you afford it? What kinds of things have you given up? What kind of jobs allow you to cruise in the beginning, anyway?

:)

When we were younger, our friends and family had all the newest electronic equipment, newest car, motorcycles, jet skis, boats, vacation homes at the river, expensive clothes, all the latest movies on VHS (and then DVD). We've always lived in a nice but simply decorated house. We didn't have a lot of new furniture or things in the house. We didn't spend money on Starbucks. We bought our clothes at places like Target, K-Mart (and still do for some things), etc.

So while they were spending their money on things, we spent it on cruises. Now our girls are grown and on their own, my husband has his own business, so life is good...and cruises are more frequent!

DH and I use our tax refund. We figure we work hard enough for it so once a year we give ourselves a nice vacation. We don't make a lot of money but we do make sure to live within our means. We went on our first cruise together last year and enjoyed it so much that DH was already planning this year's cruise by the time we got off the ship.

We went on our first cruise together last year and enjoyed it so much that DH was already planning this year's cruise by the time we got off the ship.

Same with us! We hadn't even left the dock after embarkation and were already planning on when we should take another cruise!

The Ft. Lauderdale Airport is a nice modern airport. I wouldn't worry what people say about it. It is also a very busy airport. As far as where to stay, we do the park & ride, because we drive down from Durham, and we stay at The Hampton Inn closest to the port. They shuttle us over to the ship, and pick us up at the conclusion. It is a bit pricey now though considering that Ft. Lauderdale is home to The Royal Carribeans two mega monster ships, the Allure of The Seas and Oasis of The Seas.

The price for the hotel room is included for the park & ride, so I am not sure what they are charging without the park & ride. We stayed there on our first cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and they have gone up almost $100.00 a night from 3 years ago. I think that is ridiculous, but we are very close to the port and the service and depandability is awesome. We only stay one night there. We also stay one night at a Quality Inn in Sawgrass, for half the amount The Hampton Inn charges.

I'm sorry,didn't make myself real clear,I meant the Raleigh Durham airport.

Someone told me its next to a corn field,and has not many air fields to

land or take off.

This is our first cruise. We are using some of the money we got after we settled my parent's estate. When my brothers had been married 20 years each couple got a trip to Tahiti for their 20th anniversary. They passed away before we had been married 20 years, 2 years ago, so we are calling this our trip on them.

• 2 months later...

Affording the money to cruise and the time to cruise are two different things. When I first had cattle year 'round in 1993 until 2008 I never had a vacation except for a couple of 3-4 day get aways (not cruises) with the kids while my wife stayed home and for her part, she got away with the kids and I stayed home. Literally went years without getting away at all. Now I've sold most of the cows and don't mind having someone else look in on what's left.

When asked if I was going on vacation during this drought I would answer 'Nope. I haven't been away with the whole family on a proper vacation since 1992 BC. (BC= Before Cows.)'

I remember my first cruise 4 years ago was paid for as a celebration of making it one year without smoking. I set up a savings account right after I quit, but I put in the money I would have spent on cigarettes that day and continued that all year! It was a special way to award myself for all that hard work I did that year. I am now 4 years quit and I continue to use the extra money saved as a special treat to myself.

I remember my first cruise 4 years ago was paid for as a celebration of making it one year without smoking. I set up a savings account right after I quit, but I put in the money I would have spent on cigarettes that day and continued that all year! It was a special way to award myself for all that hard work I did that year. I am now 4 years quit and I continue to use the extra money saved as a special treat to myself.

Congrats! That is a great achievement and great motivation there. If only I could get dh to do the same.

Back to the original question, I live off a very strict budget. I put aside money into my serious savings accounts first, and what is left at the end of the month goes into cruise savings. I put all bonus money (we get quarterly, into vacation savings.) One of my biggest chunks of vacay money comes from the two months a year we get an "extra" paycheck....all my budgeting is based off the usual two paychecks, so when there is a third, that money all goes to savings for a trip. Currently planning a family cruise next May and a big Disney land trip for next September and I already have most of the money for each and will begin saving for my 2013 cruise on the monster of the seas, Oasis. :D Have to try it, it looks insane.

Archived