Emerald Beach or Secret Harbour?

LostShakerofSalt

Less crowded than Coki or Magen's Bay, right?

I've never been to those, so couldn't say. I'm comparing Secret Harbor to itself, this year vs. last year. It's a relatively small, narrow beach, and you will only want to drag your chair (if you rent one) so far, so it doesn't take too many people to fill it up. Here's a picture (not mine) http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g147405-d151053-Secret_Harbour_Beach_Resort-Charlotte_Amalie_St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html#29730343

See the blue canopies on the left of the photo? Those are in front of the dive shop where you can rent chairs. Behind the canopies, that is the restaurant. Beyond that is the resort, where the chairs are reserved for guests of the resort. Of course you can go down there with your rented chair, or with your beach towels. Some of the photos you will find online are taken with a fisheye (I think that's the name of it) lens, which makes the beach look far larger than it is. If you're wanting to snorkel, the best area is out from where the photographer is standing (and the photographer is standing basically at the end of the beach) and around the corner.

Just because there were quite a few people from the cruise ship on the beach the day that we were there doesn't mean there will be on your trip, of course. Last year, there were a grand total of 6 non-resort people there. This year, by the time we left, the area not in front of the resort was filled with towels and chairs (in fact, it was difficult to walk without getting sand on people's things unless you went in the water).

I've never been to those, so couldn't say. I'm comparing Secret Harbor to itself, this year vs. last year. It's a relatively small, narrow beach, and you will only want to drag your chair (if you rent one) so far, so it doesn't take too many people to fill it up. Here's a picture (not mine) http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g147405-d151053-Secret_Harbour_Beach_Resort-Charlotte_Amalie_St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html#29730343

See the blue canopies on the left of the photo? Those are in front of the dive shop where you can rent chairs. Behind the canopies, that is the restaurant. Beyond that is the resort, where the chairs are reserved for guests of the resort. Of course you can go down there with your rented chair, or with your beach towels. Some of the photos you will find online are taken with a fisheye (I think that's the name of it) lens, which makes the beach look far larger than it is. If you're wanting to snorkel, the best area is out from where the photographer is standing (and the photographer is standing basically at the end of the beach) and around the corner.

Just because there were quite a few people from the cruise ship on the beach the day that we were there doesn't mean there will be on your trip, of course. Last year, there were a grand total of 6 non-resort people there. This year, by the time we left, the area not in front of the resort was filled with towels and chairs (in fact, it was difficult to walk without getting sand on people's things unless you went in the water).

We are planning to return to Secret Harbour in three weeks..were there 2 years ago and the snorkeling was good-we went past the dive shop around the curve out past the rocks and saw turtles and even a big barracuda-he was rather friendlier than I would have liked :)

Deep water though...would only suggest going out this far if you are a good swimmer/snorkeler..we loved the beach and overall enjoyed our day at SH.

We are planning to return to Secret Harbour in three weeks..were there 2 years ago and the snorkeling was good-we went past the dive shop around the curve out past the rocks and saw turtles and even a big barracuda-he was rather friendlier than I would have liked :)

Deep water though...would only suggest going out this far if you are a good swimmer/snorkeler..we loved the beach and overall enjoyed our day at SH.

Can you hire a boat to take you out to the turtles? I'm a strong swimmer (I used to swim competitively), but I'm afraid I will get run over by a jetski or boat!!!

Also, is it an expensive cab ride from Havensight?

Thanks in advance :D

Can you hire a boat to take you out to the turtles? I'm a strong swimmer (I used to swim competitively), but I'm afraid I will get run over by a jetski or boat!!!

Also, is it an expensive cab ride from Havensight?

Thanks in advance :D

As long as you occasionally look around and see where you are, I don't think you need to worry. There are lots of exposed rocks, so boats and jet skis can't really get in real close where you would be seeing the turtles. We've had two trips there, and boats weren't near where we were snorkeling either time. You do have to watch out as you come back to shore, though, if you don't stay near the side of the bay, as lots of boats anchor in the bay. However, it's not a busy bay...there aren't boats buzzing around in the bay, as it's relatively tiny. Again, though, keep an eye out as to where you are, and if you are staying where the fish mainly are, there aren't boats there (too shallow and/or rocky). I don't remember seeing any jet skiis...doesn't mean there couldn't be any, though. But again, it's not safe for jet skiis where you'll be snorkeling.

• 1 month later...

We are heading to St. Thomas in a couple days and it looks like Secret Harbor is the place we would like to spend the day while in port. How much does it cost to get to the beach? We are coming in on RCI so I think we are docking in Havensight.

Archived