Ravenna What to do?

We have driven through Ravenna while on a driving trip on that side of Italy (on our way to the Marche). As to what to do, if we were ever there on a cruise we would simply rent a car. We assume some folks will want to go to San Marino just to say they have been in that country (very disappointing place). If you prefer to simply spend the day in Ravenna there are certainly plenty of old churches (the Brits say "ABC" Another Bloody Church) and that part of Italy has some pretty decent food.

Hank

We have driven through Ravenna while on a driving trip on that side of Italy (on our way to the Marche). As to what to do, if we were ever there on a cruise we would simply rent a car. We assume some folks will want to go to San Marino just to say they have been in that country (very disappointing place). If you prefer to simply spend the day in Ravenna there are certainly plenty of old churches (the Brits say "ABC" Another Bloody Church) and that part of Italy has some pretty decent food.

Hank

We had a lovely time in Ravenna while on an Azamara cruise. Read up on Dante and visit his church and grave. We also took a tour to San Marino and wandered around...it was fun for half a day...and the drive there was very pretty. Ravenna is a very upscale town with pretty shops and wine bars to sit and relax outside and watch the world go by and converse with the locals if you're fortunate.

We like riding bikes. Do you remember any bike trails or seeing many people on bikes?

Was there a place you went to eat that you enoyed? why?

You are talking about Italy which, like France, is very popular for bike riding. We see Italians (and probably tourists) riding on many different back roads. Europeans do not hesitate to ride on any road (other then the 4 land Autostrade) and most European drivers are used to sharing roads with bicycles. That being said, the worst accidents we have seen in Italy (and France) usually involved motorcycles or bicycles.

Hank

Ravenna is a great town with several lovely churches and historical/ architectual sites. It is, like someone else responded, a very cosmopolitan town with lovely shops, restaurants. We never saw so many people riding their bicycles around town!! It is a very relaxing, lovely place to hang out for the day.

Ravenna is very famous for its' beautiful mosaics- It is not "just another Church" it is an amazing work of art. The main part of the old city is for pedestrians and bike riders. There are many cafes to sample Piadina, a regional specialty, with a nice glass of Italian wine. Lots of shopping, a fabulous food market and Dante's tomb. It really is a lovely place to spend a day. You could also take the train to bologna-it isn't far but I would recommend exploring Ravenna.

Does anyone know where you can purchase the pass to visit the 5 churches and their mosaics? My plan for the day would include taking a taxi from the port to the city, buying a pass and seeing these sites and exploring the city on foot, do a little browsing in the shops and stopping at a cafe or two in between. Would 6 hours be enough to fit all of this in?

• 2 weeks later...

We're also stopping in Ravenna on our October cruise. If we elect not to do a ship's tour, will there be buses at the port to take folks to Ravenna and back?

Also, the ships tours of Ravenna are about 3 to 3.5 hours and seem reasonably priced (as low as $40 per person). Is this sufficient time to see the sites? I feel like we'd need more time there than that, but maybe that's adequate?

Had also thought of taking the ships tour to either San Marino, or Ferrara. Any thoughts about those?

Thanks!

We're also stopping in Ravenna on our October cruise. If we elect not to do a ship's tour, will there be buses at the port to take folks to Ravenna and back?

Also, the ships tours of Ravenna are about 3 to 3.5 hours and seem reasonably priced (as low as $40 per person). Is this sufficient time to see the sites? I feel like we'd need more time there than that, but maybe that's adequate?

Had also thought of taking the ships tour to either San Marino, or Ferrara. Any thoughts about those?

Thanks!

I've been reading that Ravenna itself is very easy to do on your own... and you'll probably want to if you don't want to be rushed back. I don't like any ship tours, but I really don't like short tours... then you are rushed back to the ship or left figuring out how to get back alone. There is a new thread on Ravenna on the Italy board (where it belongs) and maybe you can get some ideas there?

I've been reading that Ravenna itself is very easy to do on your own... and you'll probably want to if you don't want to be rushed back. I don't like any ship tours, but I really don't like short tours... then you are rushed back to the ship or left figuring out how to get back alone. There is a new thread on Ravenna on the Italy board (where it belongs) and maybe you can get some ideas there?

Yea, I noticed there are a couple different Ravenna threads, including this one that wasn't in the right place. I agree that if we can do it on our own we will. I, like you though, just wasn't sure how to get from the ship to town since it's 12km, or according to the port website, 20 minutes. I don't want to get ripped off by a cab. I'm hoping there will be shuttles taking folks from the ship into town and back. At least one of the ships tours talks about a shuttle service - something about at the end of the tour you're left in town to get back to the ship on your own by either cab or the shuttle service.

Maaaybe after some of these cruises start to go and people have experienced Ravenna on their cruise there will be more information. I think Ravenna is a fairly new port stop. I think there are some May/June sailings of this itinerary.

Yea, I noticed there are a couple different Ravenna threads, including this one that wasn't in the right place. I agree that if we can do it on our own we will. I, like you though, just wasn't sure how to get from the ship to town since it's 12km, or according to the port website, 20 minutes. I don't want to get ripped off by a cab. I'm hoping there will be shuttles taking folks from the ship into town and back. At least one of the ships tours talks about a shuttle service - something about at the end of the tour you're left in town to get back to the ship on your own by either cab or the shuttle service.

Maaaybe after some of these cruises start to go and people have experienced Ravenna on their cruise there will be more information. I think Ravenna is a fairly new port stop. I think there are some May/June sailings of this itinerary.

Another place to check for Ravenna info would be Azamara boards and other small ships. They have been cruising to Ravenna for several years now. Also... may be worth checking out the Trip Advisor. Taxis could be very easy there at the port. Think I'll go see what I can find out :)

• 4 years later...

We were on the Regal Princess last year and stopped in Ravenna. Princess offered shuttle service to the center of town. We were on our own and purchased a pass at the first church we visited that got us into a number of other churches. Don't remember the cost but you should be able to find it on the Internet. Most places of interest are located close together and walking to them was not a problem.

Hope this helps. Ravenna is really great. Beautiful mosaics very well preserved. Try this website: http://www.turismo.ra.it/eng/

<<<Karen>>>

I too would like to know about looking round Ravenna on our own and getting a shuttle bus if there is one. We are travelling in May with Celebrity. Thanks.

You've pulled up a thread from 2011 and on the wrong forum. I suggest posting your question on the Italy Ports of Call board and look for more recent information there. :)

Royal Caribbean did provide a shuttle bus, was about 20 minutes drive. CAUTION we are not stupid, never carry large bags etc.. Husband never has anything in his pockets, yet in Ravenna a guy had his hand in my husband jeans front pocket, husband didn't realise, I saw it, called out to hubby and guy walked off, this was watched by a local policeman who did nothing!! Please be careful, had hubby had a wallet rather than a handkerchief, it would have gone like many on the cruise we were on experienced.

Apart from that Ravenna was lovely to wander, visited many churches etc...