Taxi from Vancouver port to airport

There will be lots of taxis, there used to be lines for them but with the Canada Line demand for taxis has decreased and now there are lines of taxis. A fare to YVR from Canada Place will run you about $35.

As an option, if you have reasonable mobility, can handle a 2.5 block walk with your all your luggage, then you could walk over to Waterfront Station and take the Canada Line out to YVR. The cost is $3.75 (CDN) pp and the total time from Canada Place is about 35 mins, the same as a taxi.

Could you tell me if there are plenty of taxis at the port, or is it advisable to reserve a car in advance to drive us to the airport?

While there will be plenty of Taxis, skip the taxi line, walk one block straight ahead, turn left, walk two and you're at one end of a subway line (w/ elevators to platform level) that will get you to the airport terminal for $3.75 ($2.50 weekends) and get there faster than a taxi.

Now if they do not have reasonable mobility or can't handle their luggage on a walk over to Waterfront Station then it doesn't work for them........one size does not fit all.

The distance from Canada Place to Waterfront Station Skytrain is certainly no more than walking Bow to Stern on most cruise ships; if that helps put it in perspective.

The distance from Canada Place to Waterfront Station Skytrain is certainly no more than walking Bow to Stern on most cruise ships; if that helps put it in perspective.

And being of a certain age and still mobile and able to do aft to stern . I wouldn't be dragging all my luggage with me when I did that.

I would not use the Sky train system with luggage.

Now try this perspective....some people can't do that ...but you have trouble with that concept. Still others who can walk from stem to stern can't do it with luggage...yet another concept that seems to elude you. Still others don't want to be bothered with schlepping their luggage or being jostled around in transit lines...try holding that thought for a moment. As good as the Canada Line is it is not for everyone.

After a few cold adult beverages I have been known to have trouble going from stem to stern or is that stern to stem.

Perhaps someone should set up a service where they will meet you the gate coming out of Canada Place and walk their luggage over to the Canada Line - great way to get in shape and I think we might know someone who would love to do that.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello,

Could you tell me if there are plenty of taxis at the port, or is it advisable to reserve a car in advance to drive us to the airport?

Thanks!

There will be plenty of taxis and although you might have a short wait, it is less hassle than meeting the pre-booked driver.

Viv

Now try this perspective....some people can't do that ...but you have trouble with that concept. Still others who can walk from stem to stern can't do it with luggage...yet another concept that seems to elude you. Still others don't want to be bothered with schlepping their luggage or being jostled around in transit lines...try holding that thought for a moment. As good as the Canada Line is it is not for everyone.

While there are some people who can't; there are plenty who can; and I prefer not to assume the worst.

The distance is shorter than people would shelp just to exit some other cruise terminals or airports while dragging their luggage, so it's certainly not within the realm of unreasonable for a large percentage of the cruise population to walk from Canada Place to Waterfront Station to catch a very inexpensive and fast route to the airport.

You're welcome to take a taxi if you want; I'll stick to taking local trains/buses/subways and save myself the time and money. The OP was asking about taxis and I added an alternate suggestion; one that plenty of cruise people take, and almost universally rave about how easy it is.

I've taken all the local Skytrain lines with cruise/vacation luggage, and it's a snap, roll on/roll off; my only caveat is don't try it during rush hour (7-10am into Vancouver, 3-6pm out) with luggage.

• 1 month later...

I had not considered the train option, but I'm now considering it. Could you tell me if there is only one stop once it gets to the airport, or are there different stops depending on terminal? I have never been at Vancouver airport.

Scottbee,

You say there is an elevator to platform level... where do I buy the ticket, before the elevator or at the platform level? Are there ticket windows or do I buy it from a machine?

Thanks for any further info.

I had not considered the train option, but I'm now considering it. Could you tell me if there is only one stop once it gets to the airport, or are there different stops depending on terminal? I have never been at Vancouver airport.

Scottbee,

You say there is an elevator to platform level... where do I buy the ticket, before the elevator or at the platform level? Are there ticket windows or do I buy it from a machine?

Canada Line.. to airport very last stop and only one at the airport itself.

Tickets are from a machine and are prior to entry to station's 'FARE ONLY ZONE" which in some cases is before/after/and during escalators/elevators. (Most are before)

Scottbee,

There's just the one station at the Airport end, and it's the last station, so you're pretty much guaranteed to get a seat. Exiting international arrivals; you cross the street and follow the signs to the top floor of the car park. There are elevators (large enough for the free luggage carts), plus escalators, your choice. On the platform you can buy your ticket 8.75 to downtown ($7.50 evenings and weekend, also less for those over 65). You can use CANADIAN cash, most debit and credit cards to buy tickets, and they're $3.75+ a $5 airport surcharge to downtown. Tickets are done with a 'proof of purchase' no turnstiles to go through (yet).

Ride the train all the way downtown to "Waterfront Station" (also the end of the line), and exit using the elevator right on the platform (don't follow the people down the long corridor head the other way). This puts you on the street at the corner of W.Hastings & Granville, 3 blocks (and it's slightly downhill) to the cruise terminal. Total travel time about 25 mins; generally faster than a taxi. Total walk from the corner of W.Hastings & Granville to Canada Place is a little over one cruise ship bow to stern, definitely an easy walk.

This map shows the route it takes (in red). http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.231275,-123.063011&spn=0.15828,0.282898&z=12

If you're going to be in town for a few days, it's actually well worth buying a book of 10 transit tickets before you leave the airport (they're sold at the airport's 7-11 and Pharmasave inside the terminal area), and a book of 10 is only $31.50 or a day pass is $9. The trick here is that the 10 pack tickets (called Faresavers) and day passes are exempt from the airport surcharge.

photos of how to do the whole route,plus a few misc station shots at some of the stations along the way. https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#

If you have any questions, please ask away.

Thank you for all the details.

Scottbee, Im doing the reverse, Canada place to airport. i guess I just have to invert the directions you gave? Is it obvious once I get my lugagge at the port what direction to walk to to go to train station?

Thanks!

Thank you for all the details.

Scottbee, Im doing the reverse, Canada place to airport. i guess I just have to invert the directions you gave? Is it obvious once I get my lugagge at the port what direction to walk to to go to train station?

Thanks!

Slightly different, Walk one block out of Canada Place, and turn left (ignore the Skytrain escalator you see -- it's the wrong line); walk downhill 2 blocks along Cordova street and into Waterfront Station. Buy a ticket from a machine ($3.75 - no airport surcharge), head down to Canada Line, and board a train marked "YVR Airport"

but essentially yes, follow the train all the way to the end of the line, and get off and follow the masses.

• 3 weeks later...

ScottBee: I reviewed all your suggestions, and have a question.

We are going on a cruise end of this month, (May 2011) out of Vancouver. We are coming in the day before, so need to get from the YVR airport to the hotel, then hopefully walking (with luggage) to the cruise terminal, then need to get from cruise terminal back to YVR airport.

From your information, it looks like we can take the Skytrain. If I read it correctly, we wouldn't have trouble getting our luggage on the Skytrain if we go to a downtown hotel in the afternoon and if we go back to the airport after the cruise in the morning. Correct?

Thanks for taking the time to provide all that info. It was great!

ScottBee: I reviewed all your suggestions, and have a question.

We are going on a cruise end of this month, (May 2011) out of Vancouver. We are coming in the day before, so need to get from the YVR airport to the hotel, then hopefully walking (with luggage) to the cruise terminal, then need to get from cruise terminal back to YVR airport.

From your information, it looks like we can take the Skytrain. If I read it correctly, we wouldn't have trouble getting our luggage on the Skytrain if we go to a downtown hotel in the afternoon and if we go back to the airport after the cruise in the morning. Correct?

Thanks for taking the time to provide all that info. It was great!

Indeed. It does depend on which hotel you're at (some are further from stations than others), but if you can wheel your luggage, Skytrain is easy. If you're coming in the day before, and you're planning to explore a bit on the day you arrive, get a all day transit ticket from the 7-11 in the airport ($9+$0 airport surcharge) vs buying just a 2-zone to get you downtown on the skytrain platform at the airport ($3.75+$5 airport surcharge). For $0.25 you get access to every bus/subway/etc in the city until the end of the day, and can really explore. (Granville Island, or if you're more adventurous, up to Grouse Mountain for sunset or or or).

Archived