St. Kitts Beaches

cruise777

Another vote for South Friar's. We rented scooters for the day and went around the island. We ended our day at South Friar's. The beaches on St. Kitts are not your typical white sand beaches and can have quite a few rocks in the water but the water is clear and there tend to be lots of shells to be found. We had a fantastic 30 minute massage from Magic Fingers (so he's called) and his mother, Laverne. Set your price in advance and whether you want your back included and then lay back and enjoy :)

how was this? Are there a lot of cars on the road you have to watch out for? I would absolutely love to do this on an island but am afraid of other cars running us over.

Shekim - it was an absolutely fantastic day!! I blogged about it in detail on my blog and posted some photos as well. We were nervous about the scooters but there is only one road around the entire island and we only ran into any amount of traffic just around Basseterre. We took things slow and careful and the day turned out to be a real highlight of our cruise.

Can you tell me' date=' if you go to the beach on one of the tours...say Royston, does he just sit and wait for you or does he leave and come back for you? I think I would feel rushed if we was just sitting there waiting, but like the idea of getting a tour first.[/quote']

He waits for you, but he does his own thing. You will not feel rushed he is a really cool guy. We stayed there for 2 hours.

He waits for you, but he does his own thing. You will not feel rushed he is a really cool guy. We stayed there for 2 hours.

Thank you!! I really think that this is the best of both worlds and now I feel comfortable about it. We were just in St Kitts but did the zip-line so now I want to see the island & snorkel too.

There is an ocean of possibilities!.

Ahhh, yes!!!!!!

I feel the same. :D

Leaving Sat for our cruise and still haven't decided which beach. :o..:D

But now it's time to choose............

I tallied the votes.........

We're heading to South Friars! :p

Will come back and let you know how it all goes..... ;)..:p

• 1 year later...

Just got home from a cruise where St. Kitts was one of our stops. As far as beaches go, I would pick other islands on your cruise for that (St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Maarten to name a few). We personally were not impressed with the beaches on St. Kitts. We spent time on South Friars Beach. They have a huge ant problem there. It starts in the parking lot and they are all over the beach...it really needs attention. Our son was bit within the first few minutes. The food at the Shipwreck Grill on the beach was expensive as well. We were on scooters that we rented and could not make it to Cockleshell beach...maybe it is different there but the road has huge potholes in it so we had to turn around. I personally would spend time touring the beautiful island and visit the Brimstone Fortress, etc before picking this island for its beaches compared to other islands. The people on the island are extremely friendly and helpful (natives). Take a tour instead.

We took James Bond taxi to south friars, about 16 bucks for the three of us. Stayed all day, cheaper on the way back, had more people, he said pay what you want. I gave him 10, I think there were 8 or 10 of us in the van. They did have restrooms, but we did have to pay for loungers, even though we bought a couple buckets of heinekens. Lots of animals in the trees. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Shekim - it was an absolutely fantastic day!! I blogged about it in detail on my blog and posted some photos as well. We were nervous about the scooters but there is only one road around the entire island and we only ran into any amount of traffic just around Basseterre. We took things slow and careful and the day turned out to be a real highlight of our cruise.

Thanks for the link to your blog-great info for us - We're considering a cruise which includes: St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marten. We're relatively inexperienced, but, we've learned that a ship's stay in port is a short time and good info makes for better choices.

We were at South Friars in April. We paid $4 per person each way. The taxi driver tried to get us to go to another beach [i suspect he gets a kickback], but we told him we were meeting friends at the Shipwreck Grill, so he didn't try anymore. It's a fun beach - we chose it for the monkeys. I'll try to post a photo. We also wanted to snorkel, which we did, using our own equipment. But you should definitely bring water shoes and be aware that there were a LOT of black sea urchins in the sides of the coral and rock. Don't expect white sands - the beach was the color of cement. Newer bathrooms... you might want to bring your own toilet paper.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at South Friars in April. We paid $4 per person each way. The taxi driver tried to get us to go to another beach [i suspect he gets a kickback], but we told him we were meeting friends at the Shipwreck Grill, so he didn't try anymore. It's a fun beach - we chose it for the monkeys. I'll try to post a photo. We also wanted to snorkel, which we did, using our own equipment. But you should definitely bring water shoes and be aware that there were a LOT of black sea urchins in the sides of the coral and rock. Don't expect white sands - the beach was the color of cement. Newer bathrooms... you might want to bring your own toilet paper.

How was the snorkeling?

Hi, I have another question..sorry. Can the snorkeling equipment be rented?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Is it pretty eash getting around St. Kitts, or do the people hassle you?

I will be going in early December on the Carnival Victory and it's my first time there.

Thanks!

We've found the people in St. Kitts to be friendly and laid-back. We weren't harassed while there at all. I would suggest touring the island with a guide. Check out Thenford Grey. We toured with him last year when sailing the Serenade and it was one of our favorite excursions. If you do a search on him in this forum, you'll find a wealth of info about him.

We found the people of St. Kitts to be very friendly and enjoyable. We toured around on scooters and everywhere we went people would wave at us and ask if if we were enjoying ourselves. We needed some directions a couple of times and people were very helpful to us. It was our third time on St. Kitts and the best exposure that we had to the people and culture as we were right in the middle of everything.

I would highly reccomend any tour with Thenford Grey..a couple of years ago we did the island tour with him..he was fantastic and very informative...a special note it was my birthday that day and while he dropped us off at the beach for lunch he decorated his tour bus with happy birthday wishes..

Can't miss with Thenford

Mitch

I would highly reccomend any tour with Thenford Grey..a couple of years ago we did the island tour with him..he was fantastic and very informative...a special note it was my birthday that day and while he dropped us off at the beach for lunch he decorated his tour bus with happy birthday wishes..

Can't miss with Thenford

Mitch

Sounds great! I think I will give Thenford a try!

If we take a taxi from the port to South Friar's beach - I would assume that there are plenty of taxi's at the port. Would we arrange for a pick up time with that driver, or are there taxi's readily available at the beach to come back?

Yes you will find lots of taxis when you disembark. Let the driver know what time you want to return and they will come back for you in time to board your ship.

Be sure to visit Shipwreck Beach Bar.

• 2 weeks later...
We found the people of St. Kitts to be very friendly and enjoyable. We toured around on scooters and everywhere we went people would wave at us and ask if if we were enjoying ourselves. We needed some directions a couple of times and people were very helpful to us. It was our third time on St. Kitts and the best exposure that we had to the people and culture as we were right in the middle of everything.

Thank you Icequeen for your blog!!! I'm so glad I found it!! We didn't have anything planned for St. Kitts and now i'm going to be e-mailing to make a reservation for the scooters!! Sounds like a blast and perfect for BF to cruise around the island!!! Love it! So Excited!! Thank you so much again!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived