Leather Items in Austrailia

I understand that kangaroo leather is very tough and durable, so it is preferred for certain items. I saw a TV program about bullwhips made from kangroo leather.

On our Volendam cruise this October/November will we be able to find practical items such as belts, wallets and such made of kangaroo?

Our Australia ports of call will include Burnie, Melbourne and Sydney.

Thanks,

Woodeagle

I understand that kangaroo leather is very tough and durable, so it is preferred for certain items. I saw a TV program about bullwhips made from kangroo leather.

On our Volendam cruise this October/November will we be able to find practical items such as belts, wallets and such made of kangaroo?

Our Australia ports of call will include Burnie, Melbourne and Sydney.

Thanks,

Woodeagle

http://www.artsandcraftsnsw.com.au/

Craft NSW, 104 George Street, The Rocks, Sydney.

This beautiful shop, near the Overseas Passenger Terminal, in Sydney sells high quality hand made Australian craft, which includes leather work.

I have seen beautiful leather belts and wallets there.

You could email them to see whether they have any kangaroo leather products.

In addition, if you will be in Melbourne or Sydney on a weekend, vendors sell their home made leather work at weekend markets, such as St Kilda and Southbank, Melbourne or the Rocks, and Paddington, etc. in Sydney.

In Melbourne, a great place to buy souveneirs and gifts is the Queen Victoria Market.

They have a website: http://www.qvm.com.au/

They usually sell a variety of leather goods, sheep wool products etc. Although you may need to check with your country's rules in relation to bringing back animal products from overseas.

In Melbourne, a great place to buy souveneirs and gifts is the Queen Victoria Market.

They have a website: http://www.qvm.com.au/

They usually sell a variety of leather goods, sheep wool products etc. Although you may need to check with your country's rules in relation to bringing back animal products from overseas.

Tanned leather products would be allowed. Please check if the US still has restrictions on items made from kangaroo hide. This might have been relaxed years ago. Of course, you need not specify that it is made from kangaroo leather - it looks similar to 'cow' leather. :D

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The Rocks are definately on our itinerary. We will be in Melbourne on a Saturday, so will certainly look for local vendors.

Many souveniors from our travels just sit on a shelf ... collecting dust, so I especially want to find a belt or wallet or gloves that will have a practical function!

Thanks again,

Woodeagle

James and Susan:)

Archived