Norwegian Epic - A Gay Friendly Review

CruisinMaterial

Great review. I often cruised solo and loved it. I wish more options existed for gay cruises and groups that do the European market. I've not done the RSVP and Atlantis as I don't want to come in on the "gay" ship as they are often referred to from the locals.

What's the big deal coming in on "the gay ship"?

Some ports love it when we visit since they do good business! And we are less fussy and grumpy. In St. John a woman selling sarongs was complaining that they did not warn them ahead of time that we were coming and that we should come back more often.

In Curacao three of us off an RSVP cruise took a cab to go scuba diving and the driver must have felt he had to warn us about "the gay ship" coming in. We told him: "we are the gay ship!" and he did not bat an eyelid, kept going. Maybe we broke a stereotype or two that day. ;)

On another cruise we were in St Maarten and wanted to take a taxi from Orient Beach to Marigot. We were told the islanders could be very conservative and evangelical. Well, as I walked around the back of the minibus I saw a sticker that said "Real men love Jesus". The taxi driver did not balk at the merry (shall I say "gay") bunch of guys in his vehicle and gave us a tourist commentary ride to Marigot.

Norwegian cruise line really ramps it up when it comes to solo cruising. The new ship, NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY, will take the concept of studios to another level as these ships will have more itinerary options. Her sister is the NORWEGIAN GETAWAY coming in 2014. The open feel of these ships with the BOARDWALK will more than likely mean they’ll be plying the warm Caribbean waters for most of the year. Breakaway is sailing year-round from NYC and Getaway has not been announced yet. I do hope NCL continues to have the social hosts gather the singles (all of them gay or straight) together as it’s a great way to mingle! Friends of Dorothy is staple and NCL pioneered having a dedicated NIGHTLY meeting spot for it.

For those who have read my review here, if you go to the Member Review section and search my user name, you will find several other experiences with NCL that I’ve reviewed in detail. I love Norwegian and hope you all have enjoyable experiences as solos as well!

I think it's strange that on the NCL site, the Breakaway sailings "at a glance" do not have Studio pricing listed separately like the Epic sailings do. The studios still show up under "Insides" after you enter the number of passengers and ages, but I like how the Epic sailings display prices by category, including Studios as separate.

(This is in reference to the original post re: being recruited for the Dating Game despite being gay)

This same thing happened to me and my friend when we were on the Epic Barcelona itinerary.

We were walking back upstairs after seeing Blue Man Group and they grabbed us and begged us to be in the Dating Game. We told them we were gay and the girl said that was fine...just have fun be as funny as possible.

Well, we were going to give a lot of adult but since there were kids in the audience, Richard (The Cruise Director) told us not to. This made the game very un-fun for us and the audience, I'm afraid.

Overall, we had an amazing time. Did you ever go to Shakers? That is where the FOD group gathered every night on our cruise because the bartender there (Armando) was AWESOME!!

Edited by MichaelInATL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just to update... the Social Hostess Natalie is no longer on the Norwegian Epic but I hear her replacement is just as good!

MichaelInATL - I'm sorry the experience you had with the DATING GAME was not as fun. There were kids present when I was doing it as well but the parents are forewarned that the show could be risque. It's up to the parents to decide if they want their kids to stay. :) I was at Shakers every single night. With the solos gathering it was a lot of boozing before a late meal. The ship's gatherings made it easier to pass on some of the other offered entertainment onboard. That's the thing I like about the EPIC. There's so many different places to meet and socialize, it's really fun for social butterflies!

Thanks for the great review of the Epic, Cruisin'! This will be my 1st cruise on NCL. I find it strange that no one seems to have mentioned the ice bar on this ship. Perhaps it's new, but from all accounts on NCL's own site, the Epic does have an ice bar. Those are so <pardon the pun> COOL! I went to the Absolut Ice Bar in London, England years ago. It was quite an experience.

--SOX

Thanks for the great review of the Epic, Cruisin'! This will be my 1st cruise on NCL. I find it strange that no one seems to have mentioned the ice bar on this ship. Perhaps it's new, but from all accounts on NCL's own site, the Epic does have an ice bar. Those are so <pardon the pun> COOL! I went to the Absolut Ice Bar in London, England years ago. It was quite an experience.

--SOX

I didn't go into the ICE BAR for several reasons... the first of which is I deal with ice all winter long in New England and to pay to freeze my butt off for a half hour and drink a vodka brand I don't like doesn't make much financial sense for me. Now if It was a GREY GOOSE ICE BAR, I'd be RIGHT in there - freezing or not! I've seen plenty of ice sculptures in my day as well. Boston has fabulous First Night celebrations with plenty more and larger than what they can fit in a walk-in freezer dubbed Ice Bar. It's the one feature on the EPIC I really can't sing praises about. I doubt the ICE BAR will be making a re-appearance on the NORWEGIAN GETAWAY or BREAKAWAY. If you like to freeze... I say give it a whirl though! :D:eek::D

PS... Just remember, don't lick anything!! LOL :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by SOXBOY911

--SOX

I didn't go into the ICE BAR for several reasons... the first of which is I deal with ice all winter long in New England and to pay to freeze my butt off for a half hour and drink a vodka brand I don't like doesn't make much financial sense for me. Now if It was a GREY GOOSE ICE BAR, I'd be RIGHT in there - freezing or not! I've seen plenty of ice sculptures in my day as well. Boston has fabulous First Night celebrations with plenty more and larger than what they can fit in a walk-in freezer dubbed Ice Bar. It's the one feature on the EPIC I really can't sing praises about. I doubt the ICE BAR will be making a re-appearance on the NORWEGIAN GETAWAY or BREAKAWAY. If you like to freeze... I say give it a whirl though! :D:eek::D

PS... Just remember, don't lick anything!! LOL :eek:

I understand your not wanting to be around ice, so you're forgiven for not going there. I do, however, have to argue about vodkas. Absolut is the ONLY brand worthy of attention! I prefer Absolut Citron. My signature drink, SOX on the ROX, is a double Absolut Citron with ice. A lemon and/or lime garnish is optional. <slurps!>

Now about that licking comment...:p:cool:

All this talk of the Epic makes we want to do it again. Took my first ever cruise last year on Epic ex.Barcelona on 2nd.Oct and had a such a wonderful time. I have booked the MSC Divina out of Venice at the end of Sept, but beginning to regret it now. They do not seem to hold FOD's etc. But who knows, maybe I will be surprised.

Gerry.

• 4 weeks later...
All this talk of the Epic makes we want to do it again. Took my first ever cruise last year on Epic ex.Barcelona on 2nd.Oct and had a such a wonderful time. I have booked the MSC Divina out of Venice at the end of Sept, but beginning to regret it now. They do not seem to hold FOD's etc. But who knows, maybe I will be surprised.

Gerry.

I did my first MSC cruise on the Splendida last February. An excellent cruise line, ship and cruise but no FOD meeting I am afraid:(

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

I realize this is an old thread that got resurrected, but I thought I would mention that I just sailed on the Epic the second week of December and I had a fantastic time. There were plenty of our people aboard. A couple dozen attended the LGBT gathering in Shakers Martini Bar on the first night, and a core group attended off and on throughout the week. I met plenty of other gay/lesbian folks throughout the cruise.

This was my first solo cruise, and it won't be my last. Even though I had solo dinner reservations every night, I never ate alone. Couples from adjoining tables invariably engaged in conversation. It was nice.

Spice H2O (Deck 15 Aft) was my favorite hangout. Adults only, "Ibiza-inspired beach club" with bar, grill, heated(!) pool and hot tubs. Entertainment was excellent.

I'm excited to sail Epic again in October. :D

John,

I loved the Epic more than the Norwegian Breakaway. The Spice H2O was phenomenal on Epic versus what they did on Breakaway to it. I'm sad NCL is banishing her to Europe. I've only ever sailed Epic in a studio so the configuration was the same on the Breakaway and Epic but a lot of people prefer the all in one closet bathroom so Epic goes to Europe. :(

Glad you had a great time! I cruise solo about 50% of the time. The first night can be rough dining alone but usually by the second night someone in the studios from the Meet & Greet will go with you if the FOD group doesn't yield any dinner companions. People are so much more cheery on vacation! :D

Thanks for the update! :)