RCI new project Sunshine

Don’t know if this was posted before but here it is (again)

The first of a new generation of ships called the Sunshine project will be here late 2014.

Royal Caribbean signed a letter of intent with the Meyer Werft shipyard.

The ship will carry 4,100 passengers and weigh in at 158,000 gross tons.

The ship will be build on the best ideas of the current ships plus add new activities and entertainment concepts.

Can anyone guess what else they can add??

I was thinking they have a Central Park and a Boardwalk, how about a Coney Island with a Ferris Wheel and maybe a roller coaster.

Don’t know if this was posted before but here it is (again)

The first of a new generation of ships called the Sunshine project will be here late 2014.

Royal Caribbean signed a letter of intent with the Meyer Werft shipyard.

The ship will carry 4,100 passengers and weigh in at 158,000 gross tons.

The ship will be build on the best ideas of the current ships plus add new activities and entertainment concepts.

Can anyone guess what else they can add??

I was thinking they have a Central Park and a Boardwalk, how about a Coney Island with a Ferris Wheel and maybe a roller coaster.

Roller coaster would be awesome!

I personally think the ship on the top in this rendering is a Sunshine class as it looked at the time the rendering was made. The top ship looks to be longer & wider than the bottom ship which looks like a Freedom Class -Sunshine class will be larger than Freedom class. And it's not an Oasis class which is currently the only ship larger than a Freedom class. So if that is a Sunshine class, it looks like the solarium is midship and there's a single flowrider aft, just like on the Freedom class. The ship will also have dual funnels. Also, it looks like they will keep the loft suite area however it will be separate from the Viking Crown Lounge. The solarium area being in between the two.

sunshine01.jpg

I got this pic from the Falmouthport website.

I personally think the ship on the top in this rendering is a Sunshine class as it looked at the time the rendering was made. The top ship looks to be longer & wider than the bottom ship which looks like a Freedom Class -Sunshine class will be larger than Freedom class. And it's not an Oasis class which is currently the only ship larger than a Freedom class. So if that is a Sunshine class, it looks like the solarium is midship and there's a single flowrider aft, just like on the Freedom class. The ship will also have dual funnels. Also, it looks like they will keep the loft suite area however it will be separate from the Viking Crown Lounge. The solarium area being in between the two.

sunshine01.jpg

If the Sunshine project turns out to be like that top ship it would totally become my favorite ship class! :)

If the Sunshine project turns out to be like that top ship it would totally become my favorite ship class! :)
It looks good to me too. Looking over it some more, the solarium area forward to the main pools is still there, so I'm thinking that center solarium is either a 2nd solarium or a private villa area w/pool for suite passenger only. Similar to the villa area on some NCL ships. It could be nothing at all too - just a concept pitched to RCL years ago which was never acted upon.:rolleyes: Time will tell...

If RCI were to get a focus group together to discuss what should be included in the sunshine class ships, I, for one, would like to be a member of such a group. I think input from current Crown and Anchor members, from all levels, would be helpful. We all know what features we like and what features are just so-so. Some of us have also cruised on other lines and know what we'd like to see incorporated into the new ship from other likes. Being an older cruiser having, a merry-go-round, zip line, etc. does not entice me to sail. By using a focus group made up of many different demographics, I believe, RCI could design a ship that would appeal to many cruisers. If the above design is close to what they are thinking of doing, I like the idea of a wider ship. In closing, for right now, I have no desire to sail on Oasis or Allure, but would look at it if I were sailing with the grandkids.

If RCI were to get a focus group together to discuss what should be included in the sunshine class ships, I, for one, would like to be a member of such a group. I think input from current Crown and Anchor members, from all levels, would be helpful. We all know what features we like and what features are just so-so. Some of us have also cruised on other lines and know what we'd like to see incorporated into the new ship from other likes. Being an older cruiser having, a merry-go-round, zip line, etc. does not entice me to sail. By using a focus group made up of many different demographics, I believe, RCI could design a ship that would appeal to many cruisers. If the above design is close to what they are thinking of doing, I like the idea of a wider ship. In closing, for right now, I have no desire to sail on Oasis or Allure, but would look at it if I were sailing with the grandkids.

If the first ship is to be delivered by 2013 then I think that the time for getting public input is long past and the final design was pretty much in place at the time that the letter of intent was signed. I do think that they have had quite a bit of input from past guests as well as the experience gained with the construction of Voyager, Freedom, and especially Oasis class ships that they will be able to produce a ship that will meet most of our desires.

I have sailed Oasis once and Allure twice. I have to say that demographics might be surprising as to taste and preferences. I am stunned how many older folks try the ship's zipline, for example. One man's wife told me he was nearly eighty and he did the zipline over and over. I have also seen folks who appear to be older than I am (67) trying the FlowRider. Hubby and I love to ride the carousel.

I'm not certain that just because folks are older that they won't want some fun and different amenities on a ship. I know I certainly do and I hope the Sunshine Class will give us some excitement like Ziplines and FlowRiders or something else such as the Ferris wheel suggested above.

I have sailed Oasis once and Allure twice. I have to say that demographics might be surprising as to taste and preferences. I am stunned how many older folks try the ship's zipline, for example. One man's wife told me he was nearly eighty and he did the zipline over and over. I have also seen folks who appear to be older than I am (67) trying the FlowRider. Hubby and I love to ride the carousel.

I'm not certain that just because folks are older that they won't want some fun and different amenities on a ship. I know I certainly do and I hope the Sunshine Class will give us some excitement like Ziplines and FlowRiders or something else such as the Ferris wheel suggested above.

I pretty much agree with your sentiments. I was 70 when I did the zip line on Allure and the Dragon's Breath coaster in Labadee and enjoyed both tremendously.:D

sunshine01.jpg

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think that's a rendering for the Sunshine project. First off, it looks too much like a Freedom class ship molded together with an Oasis class ship to make it that wide. Second, if it were that wide, it wouldn't fit thru the locks at the Meyer Werft shipyard. And third, RCI probably would have released the rendering first, not the Port of Falmouth website. Again, sorry to disappoint you all, but it doesn't look like a true rendering

Seeing that falmouth rendering reminded me of another one. In this one, the ship on the left is obviously an Oasis class ship, but the ship on the right doesn't look like any of the current ships. On both freedom and voyager there are 5 balcony cabin decks. On this rendering, it shows 6 (or possibly 7) decks instead. The balconies also look different. On voyager and freedom, the balconies run from front to back, but on this one there seems to be two sets of balconies, one forward to mid-forward and one mid-forward to aft. These differences make me think that the ship in the rendering is actually a project sunshine ship and royal caribbean is trying to quietly release information through the falmouth site!rend2.jpg

what do you think!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think that's a rendering for the Sunshine project. First off, it looks too much like a Freedom class ship molded together with an Oasis class ship to make it that wide. Second, if it were that wide, it wouldn't fit thru the locks at the Meyer Werft shipyard. And third, RCI probably would have released the rendering first, not the Port of Falmouth website. Again, sorry to disappoint you all, but it doesn't look like a true rendering

I have to agree with you. If this were a rendering of the Project Sunshine class, this would wind up being far greater than 4,000 tons larger than Freedom Class.

Seeing that falmouth rendering reminded me of another one. In this one, the ship on the left is obviously an Oasis class ship, but the ship on the right doesn't look like any of the current ships. On both freedom and voyager there are 5 balcony cabin decks. On this rendering, it shows 6 (or possibly 7) decks instead. The balconies also look different. On voyager and freedom, the balconies run from front to back, but on this one there seems to be two sets of balconies, one forward to mid-forward and one mid-forward to aft. These differences make me think that the ship in the rendering is actually a project sunshine ship and royal caribbean is trying to quietly release information through the falmouth site!rend2.jpg

what do you think!

Others have mentioned this as well. But to me, it just looks like a poorly rendered Voyager Class ship. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you on this. I have looked at pictures of the Oasis taken from above and from the pier and the ship rendered in the photo would appear to be larger than the Oasis based on the placement of the Viking Lounge mid-ship (if that's what it is??). The Sunshine Class is only going to be slightly larger than Freedom Class and the ship in the photo looks as though it is twice the size of the Freedom ship in the photo.

Archived