Kindle 3G

QVickiB

We don't leave for our cruise until the end of April so I do not know for sure. I will definitely be trying it out though. Depending on where you are cruising to they could have 3G in your ports of call. While in the water it may be hit or miss depending on where you are traveling near.

Here is a link for amazons web site if you go down the page to the section about the diff b/w wi-fi and 3G there is a link you can click on that brings you to a map of the 3G coverage area.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=sa_menu_kdp3w3/185-0102125-7986033

Hope this helps

I have been able to get a menu and order things, but they never download. Works in most ports. One port in Alaska, took me 30 minutes standing on the top deck just to get a newspaper downloaded. If you can, load it before you go.

When we were on Legend earlier this month, my missus loaded up her Kindle before we left Tampa. Once you get out to sea, you're subject to Carnival's wifi fees regardless of what Amazon may or may not charge. The other thing is that it is incredibly slow. Satellite internet is not a heck of lot better than dial up. I had a 100 minute package on Legend and I'm fairly certainly I wasted half of those minutes or more just waiting for pages to load. Download your reading material before you leave home and especially before you leave port. Otherwise you may be sorely disappointed.

I was able to use the internet while docked at a port on my Kindle.

Same here - no slower than the ship internet connection. I was able to check email and bank balances while sitting on my balcony in ports.

Everyone is correct...I was on the Dream earlier this month and tried to get online while I was on the Lido...it asked me to sign in to Carnival,. Only internet I could find. I didn't try it out while docked at the port...will have to try that next.

Melanie

I used my Kindle 3G on Princess (out of Florida) in Nov 2010. I found the 3G appeared to work the first night, but I think we were close enough to shore/over water area because it never worked again at sea. In ports it was fine and free.

Okay, not a cruise question, but those of you with Kindle 3G - how much of the internet can you get to? Is it firewalled, or is it just like you're on your own laptop?

Thanks so much!!! I'm still debating between wifi and 3G... if it's worth the extra $50...

Okay, not a cruise question, but those of you with Kindle 3G - how much of the internet can you get to? Is it firewalled, or is it just like you're on your own laptop?

Thanks so much!!! I'm still debating between wifi and 3G... if it's worth the extra $50...

You can get to all of the internet. That being said, don't get the 3G if that is the only reason you want it for. You can get there, but to be able to read it requires you to change the size of the print, rotate the window and do all sorts of annoying scrolling and clicking to see stuff.

It's a book-reader, not an Ipad.

The 3G is so if you don't have access to wifi, you can still get books.

This is from the kindle site about that:

Is Kindle (Wi-Fi) or Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) right for me?

Kindle (Wi-Fi) is a great choice if you already have a high-speed internet connection and wireless router set up in your home and do not need the added convenience of a 3G connection. 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere, while on the go. If you do not have Wi-Fi set up in your home, Kindle 3G may be a better option.

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere, while on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers.

One other question about the Kindle G3 as I've just ordered one. Can I use it for simple email? I take my laptop every where I go, but for quick email on the road I was hoping to be able to use the Kindle rather than pulling out computer. Not only that, I wasn't planning on taking laptop on my next cruise.

Archived