2011 Oslo Pier Assignments

FYI - The Oslo Port Authority has published the cruise list for 2011, so if you're sailing to Oslo, you can now find out which pier you're docking at:

http://www.oslohavn.no/english/home/cruise-list/

It looks like most of the major lines are docking downtown at the central piers alongside Akershus Fortress (Akershuskai and Vippetangen), and RCCL Vision of the Seas is at her usual berth over by the Filipstad ferry pier.

The only noteworthy exceptions:

• A few of the Emerald Princess calls are at Filipstad.
  • Cunard's Queen Elizabeth is also using Filipstad.
  • MSC and Costa have a scattering of calls at both Filipstad and the less-used pier at Reverikaia (on the east side of Akershus).

For reference, I've marked all of the piers on a Google Map, so that you can figure out exactly where you'll be:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=211508364214126586066.000448b3e58484b276430&ll=59.909857,10.735102&spn=0.025948,0.062914&z=14&iwloc=000448ca65956efe02c39

kaisatsu -

our ship docks at Revierkaia. We had hoped (if on the main dock) to buy the Oslo Pass at the Tourist office in the terminal and take the ferry to Bygdoy. The Oslo info website does not mention a tourist office at the Revierkaia terminal and I don't know if there is a ferry stop that goes to Bygdoy from there. Do you have any info on this? Would the HOHO bus be a better option given the location?

I know our ship will have shuttle buses, but I don't know where the stops would be.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if the HOHO bus comes to Revierkaia or not. I would definitely contact them to confirm this (Norwegian companies tend to be very good at responding to email inquiries, btw).

The Bygdøy ferry only runs from one pier, in front of the city hall. However, it's actually not too much farther to walk there from Revierkaia compared to the main piers, since you can cut straight across Akershus to get there. According to Google, it's about 15 minutes' walk:

Walking directions from Revierkaia across Akershus to Rådhusbrygga (Bygdøy ferry pier)

Alternately, you could walk around the tip of Akershus, along the quays, which would take about 20 minutes:

Directions from Revierkaia around the tip of Akershus to ferry pier

(The slight discrepancy in the destination positions is because Google doesn't realize that you can walk straight across the city hall square to the ferry pier.)

Regarding the Oslo Pass, there's a tourism office right behind the city hall, so if you're already walking to the Bygdøy ferry, it's not very far out of your way to stop there on the way:

Directions from Revierkaia to ferry pier, stopping at Tourist Information

And if there's a ship at Akerhuskai the same day, the second option takes you past the cruise terminal, where presumably you could stop and buy the Oslo Pass:

Directions from Revierkaia to ferry pier, stopping at the cruise terminal

(On the last two maps, A is Revierkaia, B is the visitor's information, and C is the approximate location of the ferry pier.)

The only issue with this is if your ship docks early, and those two tourist information offices aren't open yet. The office by the city hall opens at 9:00, and the one in the cruise terminal is based on the cruise ship schedule. There's one other tourist information office near the central station that opens at 7:00 weekdays and 8:00 weekends. Coming from Revierkaia, it's actually not too inconvenient, since you can walk from there to the ferry pier along Karl Johans gate (passing the cathedral, Stortinget parliament, university, and national theater):

Directions to Tourist Information at central station, then up Karl Johans gate to the ferry pier

(For reference, here is the list of Oslo Pass sales points, with a link to the hours and locations of the tourist information offices.)

-Meg

Thank you Meg for all your information on Oslo. I have copied your directions from another post to get to Vigeland park by tram, then bus (3 stops), then change to bus #30 to Bygdoy. I checked your port map and found we are also docking at Revierkaia. Could you give me directions on how to get to tram station from Revierkaia pier and also closest tourism office as I would like to buy Oslo pass as well. There is another ship docking at Akerhuskai the same day as us but they don't dock til 10 am and we are in at 8:00 am, so I'm not sure if the tourist info at that dock will be open. Thanks for your all your help and is the above tram and bus route still the same since I printed your info from a 2010 post.

Thank you !

Meg -

thank you so much for the information. Yes, a nice walk would be perfect. There is a megaship at Akerhuskai that day that docks at 7 am, so I am sure the cruise terminal will be open. We dock at 8, so by the time we get there we should have no problems. Like jayfan, I have copied all your instructions and turned them into my "practical guide to Oslo!" Thanks again for your kindness to strangers.

jayfan - are you in Oslo on July 6?

Thank you Meg for all your information on Oslo. I have copied your directions from another post to get to Vigeland park by tram, then bus (3 stops), then change to bus #30 to Bygdoy. I checked your port map and found we are also docking at Revierkaia. Could you give me directions on how to get to tram station from Revierkaia pier and also closest tourism office as I would like to buy Oslo pass as well. There is another ship docking at Akerhuskai the same day as us but they don't dock til 10 am and we are in at 8:00 am, so I'm not sure if the tourist info at that dock will be open. Thanks for your all your help and is the above tram and bus route still the same since I printed your info from a 2010 post.

Thank you !

The tram stop is right in front of the city hall, very close to the ferry pier. So you can just use the walking directions linked in the post above. If you look at the map, you can see the tram stops marked: Rådhusplassen and Aker Brygge.

Meg -

one more question - which is the nicest (scenic) walk? We do have plenty of time.

marazul

Forgot to answer this one last time. :o It's been a busy few days!

The most traditional walk would be down the central street of Karl Johans gate, which runs from the central train station to the Royal Palace and passes by the university, National theater, Stortinget (parliament), and Oslo Domkirke (cathedral). It's also home to quite a few shops and is a popular destination for locals out for a stroll. (It's also a popular summer destination for street performers and gets its fair share of musicians, living statues, and assorted buskers.)

Another pretty and historic walk is through the area north of downtown, where some of Oslo's oldest buildings and most well-preserved residential neighborhoods are located.

For the most naturally scenic walk without leaving downtown, the paths along the Akerselva River are popular among the city's residents. It's a peaceful and picturesque walk, especially for the middle of a city.

I've drawn out the above three walks on the following map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=211508364214126586066.0004532b49b89e9cbff4b&z=14

For more scenic walking options, you could also stroll around the Akershus Fortress grounds, right by the cruise piers, take the Subway #3 to Sognsvann and take a walk in the woods or around the lake, or just enjoy a leisurely stroll through Vigelands Park and the surrounding Frogner Park.

Meg,

you are awesome! Thank you!

We are planning to start with ferry to Bygdoy since the Viking ship museum opens at 9am in the summer. Then #30 bus to Olav Kyrres Plass (stopping at Folk museum first). Switch to #20 towards Vigelands Park (direction ?). After park, tram #12 towards center of town (direction ?). Get off near Royal Palace (stop?). Then take the Karl Johans Gate walk you suggest in the opposite direction.

If not dead on our feet, we may walk down to the Town Hall and then across Akerhus on the way back to the ship. That is, if we did not walk there in the morning to get to the ferry (the ship's shuttle might take us to the town hall stop in the morning).

I tried to work our the transportation directions you gave us before in reverse. I hope I am not too far off.

I really appreciate your comments and your help. You are an invaluable resource to us.

Thanks again,

marazul

Meg,

you are awesome! Thank you!

We are planning to start with ferry to Bygdoy since the Viking ship museum opens at 9am in the summer. Then #30 bus to Olav Kyrres Plass (stopping at Folk museum first). Switch to #20 towards Vigelands Park (direction ?). After park, tram #12 towards center of town (direction ?). Get off near Royal Palace (stop?). Then take the Karl Johans Gate walk you suggest in the opposite direction.

If not dead on our feet, we may walk down to the Town Hall and then across Akerhus on the way back to the ship. That is, if we did not walk there in the morning to get to the ferry (the ship's shuttle might take us to the town hall stop in the morning).

I tried to work our the transportation directions you gave us before in reverse. I hope I am not too far off.

I really appreciate your comments and your help. You are an invaluable resource to us.

Thanks again,

marazul

You can walk from the Viking Ships to the Folk Museum. It's just around the corner, and barely a block, so it's probably faster on foot compared to waiting for the bus.

From the Folk Museum, you'll take the Bus #30 direction Nydalen to Olav Kyrres plass and switch to the #20 direction Galgeberg.

To get from Vigelands Park to the Palace, there are a few different options depending on how much you want to walk, how fast you'd like to get there, and what you'd like to see along the way.

Option 1: Tram #12 (7 min) + Walking (8 min)

Take Tram #12 towards Kjelsås through the historic Frogner district (the upscale residential neighborhood at the turn of the century) to Solli plass. From there, walk up Henrik Ibsens gate (past the imposing US embassy) to the southern entrance to the Palace park.

Option 2: Walking (10 min) or Bus/Tram (2 min) + Tram #11/#19 (5/9 min) + Walking (6 min)

Walk from Vigelands Park to Majorstuen (alternatively, travel two stops on Bus #20 direction Galgeberg or Tram #12 direction Majorstuen). At Majorstuen, take either the Tram #11 or #19 (Majorstuen is a tram terminus, so you don't need to worry about the direction) down Bogstadveien, Oslo's high street for shopping. The #19 turns off and travels through the Frogner/Uranienborg neighborhood before reaching Inkognitogata, a 6-minute walk past the US embassy to the Palace park. The #11 continues down Bogstadveien, eventually reaching Wellhavens gate, which is a few minutes from the north entrance to the Palace park.

Option 3: Walking (10 min) or Bus/Tram (2 min) + Subway (3 min) [fastest, but least scenic]

Walk from Vigelands Park to Majorstuen (alternatively, travel two stops on Bus #20 direction Galgeberg or Tram #12 direction Majorstuen). At Majorstuen, switch to the T-bane (subway) and take any train from the eastbound platform (trains headed downtown). Get off at Nationaltheatret, the next stop and follow the crowd to the Karl Johans gate exit. You're now right in front of the National Theater and can choose whether you want to walk back up to the Palace or just admire it from afar and begin your walk from there at the National Theater and university.

So that's a lot of information! I hope it isn't too confusing! :o

FYI - The Oslo Port Authority has published the cruise list for 2011, so if you're sailing to Oslo, you can now find out which pier you're docking at:

http://www.oslohavn.no/english/home/cruise-list/

It looks like most of the major lines are docking downtown at the central piers alongside Akershus Fortress (Akershuskai and Vippetangen), and RCCL Vision of the Seas is at her usual berth over by the Filipstad ferry pier.

marazul: Meg' date=' you are awesome! Thank you! [/quote']

Super agree that Meg does a spectacular job with questions and details on Oslo and other key parts of Norway. She was very helpful as we did our planning for the early July visits in the fjords and along that great western coast up to the North Cape. She also arranged great weather for us on that 2010 cruise and in our 2008 visit to Oslo.

That Akershus Fortress is a handy and charming place to dock. Here's a picture below of our ship parked there with the great view of this historic fortress, near City Hall and other key attractions. Why check about what others ships are in port? It helps in your planning to know a little more on how busy or light will be some of the places as you are docked there. It's nice to be the only main ship there, not one of six ships there with 10,000 tourists dumped on a town. Oslo doesn't get slammed too bad and can absorb decent numbers. Nice and interesting city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Meg -

as always, THANK YOU! Not confusing at all, your directions are always very clear. I think that first option is very appealing.

Terry - nice pics, as usual. I had already checked and got lots of good suggestions from Meg based on our location. We are to dock at Revierkaia, around the bend from where your ship was and on the far side of Akerhus. So a little farther to walk. There will be one other ship where yours was. It is a megaship that docks one hour ahead of ours, so hopefully some of their traffic will have cleared out before our little ship gets to Oslo.

• 2 weeks later...

Meg,

some more questions -

-We are planning to take a Royal Palace tour so we may have to change the order of our sightseeing. Which is the best way to get from the city hall area to the palace?

- How long does the changing of the guard take?

- From the maps it seems the distance from the royal palace to the opera house is just a little over a mile (1.5 km). Is that about right?

- about how long will it take to take the Bygdoy ferry, visit the Viking ship museum and the folk museum, bus to Vigeland and walk around Vigeland? At a leisurely pace, we don't want to rush too much at any of those places. Just trying to plan our time.

Thank you again!

marazul

Meg,

some more questions -

-We are planning to take a Royal Palace tour so we may have to change the order of our sightseeing. Which is the best way to get from the city hall area to the palace?

- How long does the changing of the guard take?

- From the maps it seems the distance from the royal palace to the opera house is just a little over a mile (1.5 km). Is that about right?

- about how long will it take to take the Bygdoy ferry, visit the Viking ship museum and the folk museum, bus to Vigeland and walk around Vigeland? At a leisurely pace, we don't want to rush too much at any of those places. Just trying to plan our time.

Thank you again!

marazul

The easiest way from the City Hall to the palace is really just to walk. It's about 10-15 minutes. Just walk north to the central street, Karl Johans gate, and the palace is at the northwest end. You can see it from the street.

I don't recall how long the changing of the guard takes. I've never really made it a point to go and watch it, but I have passed by at that time and stopped to watch. I believe it's around 20 minutes?

From the palace to the opera is about 2 km if you walk straight down Karl Johans to the central station and then cut over to the opera house.

It's hard to put a time estimate on a visit to Bygdøy, especially the Folk Museum, since it really depends on how long you feel like spending. The ferry trip is about 10 minutes, plus another 10 minutes to walk to the museums. I would estimate around 20-30 minutes for the Viking Ships to see them, take some photos, and glance at the related exhibits. It's not a big place. The Folk Museum is harder to estimate. I usually spend about 2 hours, strolling the grounds, looking at some of the more in-depth exhibits inside th buildings, and maybe watching a living history demonstration or two. I would plan for at least an hour to do the place some justice (and don't miss the stave church, which is off to the side in the woods). You can easily spend 2 hours, and even more if you actually read all of the different exhibits housed in the various historic buildings (many of which are in English). I would add another 20 minutes to get to Vigelands and then 30-45 to stroll through the park. These are all just gut feelings though! :)

-meg

• 2 weeks later...

We will be disembarking in Oslo and staying at the airport Radisson since we have an early morning flight the next day. If there somewhere near the pier that we can store luggage so we can enjoy the day in Oslo?

We will be disembarking in Oslo and staying at the airport Radisson since we have an early morning flight the next day. If there somewhere near the pier that we can store luggage so we can enjoy the day in Oslo?

There are luggage lockers at both Oslo S (central station) and Nationaltheatret train stations. While Nationaltheatret is closer to most of the cruise piers, if your on Royal Cribbean, sailing into Filipstad, you'd probably need to take a taxi there anyway (it's a 20-30 minute walk) unless you have very little luggage. In that case, I'd suggest just taking a taxi to the central station and leaving your bags there, since the facility is larger, and it might be slightly easier to catch the airport train from there.

Alternatively, you might contact the Radisson and ask if you'd be able to leave your bags at one of the downtown Radisson hotels for the day.

• 1 month later...

Archived