Commodore Warner's Announcement Re: Piracy

dc-farer

Hello,

This subject is pretty close to me. As others have said, due to QM2's high freeboard (the distance between the sea and the lowest surface reachable from the sea) and her speed (even without gas turbines on) - it's very unlikely that she could ever be boarded by the pirates. She can also turn pretty quickly.

However, they are a reckless lot - all the media reports of them trying to take ships that have actually been warships by accident (also not lit in the dark) are correct and most pirates don't have anything to lose by trying (as yes, under the maritime law no-one can carry any /proper/ weapons)

I think Cunard are doing well by playing it safe and announcing this as they wouldn't want attention attracted to the ship - the pirates might fire at it even if they couldn't board it.

Safe to say, the Commodore will be checking in with the Royal Navy to let them know the exact route and find out any new information on pirate sightings, etc.

There is info about the Royal Navy and how it looks after the IRTC (International Recommended Transit Corridor)

1. About - http://www.mschoa.org/Links/Pages/UKMTO.aspx

2. More info - http://asianyachting.com/news/PirateCorridor.htm (although it suggests not travelling it .. if you are in a Yacht..!)

QM2 will be just fine!

Cheers,

Chris

One thing I know about Cunard they are hot on their security as any one who has sailed from NYC will tell you. When entering or exiting the port they have CIA helicopters shadowing and us navy seals on board.

One thing I know about Cunard they are hot on their security as any one who has sailed from NYC will tell you. When entering or exiting the port they have CIA helicopters shadowing and us navy seals on board.

I'm pretty sure that's a NYPD or Port Authority thing and not Cunard, unlikely they'd be paying for that - it works both ways though, everyone looks at the QM2 as she leaves NYC - which in turn they notice the protection too, always good to keep in the public's eye.

Chris

During QE2's 2007 world cruise, enroute from Singapore to Cochin and about to transit the Strait of Malacca, an area also well documented for piracy, the Captain made an announcement about safety precautions that were being put in place and concluded his remarks by stating something to the effect, "Of course our greatest defense will be our speed."

How exciting it was to see upon retiring to my cabin after dinner to see displayed on the TV that the speed during the night was 32 knots.

What an exhilarating ship she was!

• ...external promenade deck ... will be closed on both sides at night and no Guests or crew will be allowed access for the duration of the transit.

• During hours of darkness, only essential open deck lights will be on as it is important to reduce the ship’s external lighting. With this in mind I request that you turn off your cabin lights when not required and close the curtains of your window or balcony.

• In order to familiarize you with these additional measures prior to transiting the Gulf Of Aden, there will be a Guest and Crew drill... In the event of pirate activity, announcements will be made from the Bridge and the initial actions required by our guests will be as follows:

• Guests are to proceed to their staterooms
  • Guests with a window or balcony should proceed to the corridor outside their stateroom and sit on either a chair or on the floor and close their stateroom door.
  • If you are in an inboard stateroom please remain inside your stateroom.
  • Your Stateroom Steward will do a check of their section area to ensure everyone is accounted for.
  • During this time Guests are not to remain on any open decks or near any external windows.

These were exactly the measures taken by Oriana's captain in her November crossing of the area, during her 2010 World Cruise.

We were also called to attend a lecture about piracy in the theatre, where the company's advisor about it was also present. It was very informative and they even made clear that they had taken extra measures but they would not disclose them, because of obvious reasons...

During the day we could see NATO's warships strategically placed in the course that we were following. A helicopter left a Turkish frigate and made circles around our ship as a sign of support, and was enthusiastically greeted by the passengers.

All those indicated a responsible handling of the situation and gave us peace of mind. I am sure that our friends on QM2 will feel the same and it is nice to see Cunard taking similar precautions.

We were also called to attend a lecture about piracy in the theatre,

A helicopter left a Turkish frigate and made circles around our ship as a sign of support, and was enthusiastically greeted by the passengers.

It is more serious than we were told, the pirates are on board and in the theatre :eek: but the passengers were treated to Turkish Delight so it is not all bad news. :):rolleyes::)

No problem, David -- I strayed further off topic than you did.

Thanks for that great video (loved the audio, too!!) The first ship I ever set foot on was the Grand Princess, out of Port Everglades. She also carried me safely through the worst weather I've ever experienced at sea (hurricane force winds off the coast of Greenland), so she has a special place in my heart!!

Donna

i was on that tranatlantic on the grand, too. it was quite a wild ride. the wildest i've had to date (and i like rough seas). still haven't made it to st. john's, yet.

i was on that tranatlantic on the grand, too. it was quite a wild ride. the wildest i've had to date (and i like rough seas). still haven't made it to st. john's, yet.

So far, I haven't been to St. John's either...but was just glad to make it to NYC that voyage!! Sailed again with Capt. Ed Perrin after our transatlantic -- on the Golden Princess to Hawaii later that same year -- and we lost all power for a few hours off of Kauai. Told him that he was my bad luck Captain and that I wouldn't sail with him again. But, lo and behold, he turned up as Captain on the Star Princess in 2009 when I sailed from Sydney to L.A. All went well on that cruise...except that my cabin steward had to be flown home to the Philippines mid-voyage because of a torn rotator cuff and a lady who I'd become good friends with on the ship broke her toe!

I did note that Capt. Perrin was at the helm of the Star Princess when they docked in Valparaiso right after that huge Chilean earthquake hit...and when I heard about it, I thought...hmmm!!! So, these days, I always check to see who the Captain might be before I book a cruise on Princess!!

So far, I haven't been to St. John's either...but was just glad to make it to NYC that voyage!! Sailed again with Capt. Ed Perrin after our transatlantic -- on the Golden Princess to Hawaii later that same year -- and we lost all power for a few hours off of Kauai. Told him that he was my bad luck Captain and that I wouldn't sail with him again. But, lo and behold, he turned up as Captain on the Star Princess in 2009 when I sailed from Sydney to L.A. All went well on that cruise...except that my cabin steward had to be flown home to the Philippines mid-voyage because of a torn rotator cuff and a lady who I'd become good friends with on the ship broke her toe!

Just a thought but is it maybe you yourself who is the Jonah?!! Maybe Capn Perrin checks the passenger list with dread scanning for your name.......

Just a thought but is it maybe you yourself who is the Jonah?!! Maybe Capn Perrin checks the passenger list with dread scanning for your name.......

I suppose that's possible...but have never had problems on any of my 35 other cruises!!

Actually, Capt. Perrin is a very nice guy and a good Captain. My comments were just in fun...but being a bit superstitious, I do check the manning roster before I go on a Princess cruise (and perhaps he checks the passenger list too)!!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I very much enjoyed seeing the costumes and so many passengers enjoyed the ball, quite a lively event on earlier Caribbean cruises.

Of course do you think that could be one of the reasons that they are pulling back from those Caribbean trips??:confused:

No, I think the reason why CCL is pulling Cunard back from Caribbean cruises is because they invested in the European market. And if you listened to the stockholders report, the European market is not what they (CCL) expected it to be. Quotes available upon request.

No, I think the reason why CCL is pulling Cunard back from Caribbean cruises is because they invested in the European market. And if you listened to the stockholders report, the European market is not what they (CCL) expected it to be. Quotes available upon request.

Quotations, surely?

WD

Archived