Novovirus before cruise

cat33

My mother was unfortunatley taken ill just before boarding her flight to join a cruise ship. She went down with an S and D bug in the departure lounge. As she was feeling rather unwell she spoke to the staff and decided it was best not to board the flight as she could not sign the health form for the cruise stating she had not been ill 3 days prior to embarking the ship.

The holiday company have stated that a refund has to be claimed on insurance and re-booked, however, are there any rights for people to get the cruise company to just postpone the trip to a later date as their terms state you cannot board the ship if you have suspected novovirus. Surely this is just encouraging people not to declare that they have been ill and therefore the norovirus spreads around the ship.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am not sure what you are asking. Your mom was ill and did not take her flight to get to her cruise. She had insurance, and the company through which she booked this trip has advised her to make a claim through her insurance to be reimbursed for any losses, including the cruise fare.

Are you asking if instead of getting the refund for the cruise fare, she can ask the cruise to move her booking to another sailing (at the same price, I am assuming)? And, if you have a right as a cruise passenger to do so? I don't think so; you'd have to read the cruise contract.

I think she'll have to receive her refund and then rebook.

Sorry for the confusion. They booked the flight and cruise with same company. They had to return home from airport rather than flying out to the cruise ship because of potential norovirus. Anyone who has had it in the past 3 days should not travel according to the company and you need to sign the declaration stating you have not been ill. Rather than people having to claim on their insurance policy and re-book if they choose, could they not give people the option to take the cruise a week later once they are better.

• 4 weeks later...

The cruise company will not go for someone just saying they are ill with noro. Anyone who would like to change their date would then start claiming that they had noro and HAD to miss the cruise.

Even the insurance will probably require medical proof that she was unable to travel.

I have read one case where a woman traveled to Europe to get on a cruise. At the time of boarding she stated she had some flu symptons. The cruiseline would not allow her to board the ship. She went to the doctor and the doctor did not find anything medical to stop her from traveling. Neither the cruiseline nor the insurance company would cover the missed cruise. Of course this is second hand info but it does go to point out that the contracts and details are important.

Did you try making an insurance claim? Please share so we can learn from this. And yes I have had noro once and I would not have been able to travel to the ship or home it was so bad. It would be a terrible situation to be in to have it while in route.

Thanks.

Archived