Please HELP! Is this cruise going past Na Pali Coast?

flipflops84

I could use a little help :confused: We are trying to book a cruise on POA for May 12, 2012, but the itinerary seems to be different from what people have discussed on these boards in the past. Can someone PLEASE help me by looking up the itinerary for this date and telling me if we will be cruising by the Na Pali coast?

I am trying to decide if we should be portside of starboard, and based on older reviews people say go portside for the Na Pali coast views. However, from what I can tell (and I'm a complete novice to Hawaii cruising), it doesn't appear as if the May 12, 2012, POA cruise actually goes past the coast. Can someone tell me if this is so? Which side will be better if that is the case? I am trying to book before the April 1 price increase but I am just so confused! THANK YOU! :o

I am trying to decide if we should be portside of starboard, and based on older reviews people say go portside for the Na Pali coast views.

The Na Pali coast view is usually best from the port side, but the lava sail-by is best from the starboard side. The lava sailby is at night so watching from the balcony in your pj's might be welcome :). Also the port side faces the industrial ports when docked in most ports. Having said that - in our cruise (March 12th sailing) our lava sailby was a bust (no lava !!) so port side worked out great.

When we were on POA in Feb. the Captain turned the ship around so that both sides of ship were able to see the coast. It was beautiful.

Generally you're right about turning around but the problem is that after they turn around they are traveling much faster and farther away from the coast. Another factor for me is that because it is approaching 6:00 PM the shadows get long and affects any photography you may be interested in taking. Views into the valleys are not as good.

When we two years ago this June, most people piled up on deck for both the lava and the coast. You might want to claim a spot early to get the best view.

Here is another hint. Get up before sunrise on the leg between Kona and Kauai. That was one of the best sunrises I had ever seen...

flipflops84 - Here is a few shots of the coast taken from our port side balcony -hope you enjoy.

2591205270028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

2668314600028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

2555187640028949645S600x600Q85.jpg

On the lava flow we went out on the deck as this was on the starboard side. If we only had to deal with the number of people on deck it would have been OK, but everyone was trying to get a picture with their flash on - the flash does no good!!!! We had one lady step in front of us and take so many pictures of little red dots in pitch black that she sent her husband back to their cabin to get a new battery! I only wished that she had a flim camera so she could have had the expense of developing:eek:. Now my DW and I laugh about it. All that being said, seeing the lava flow is a great experience.

DT

Unless things change at the volcano you cant depend on seeing active lava. We just got off the POA this past Sat & there is no visible active lava flow at all right now. Big bummer!

For the NaPali sail by you definitely want Port side. Once the ship turns around it gets very far off the coast & the ship goes by very quickly. Not very good visibility at this point at all so don't count on seeing much once it turns around. It is very awe-inspiring from the Port side.

Unless things change at the volcano you cant depend on seeing active lava. We just got off the POA this past Sat & there is no visible active lava flow at all right now. Big bummer!

For the NaPali sail by you definitely want Port side. Once the ship turns around it gets very far off the coast & the ship goes by very quickly. Not very good visibility at this point at all so don't count on seeing much once it turns around. It is very awe-inspiring from the Port side.

I am digressing a little here...GypRasc, sorry we missed you at our little meet and greet at Napa Wine bar, hope you had an awesome cruise. DH surprised me with a renewal of vows on Maui...our trip was incredible except for one glitch. We tried to use the ATM at the disembarkation floor, but it would not dispense any money. We successfully used the ATM at whole foods. But, lo and behold the 2 attemps we made were still deducted from our checking account (I checked our acct about 1 week later, never again will there be that much space of time before checking accts). Well, several calls later it is resolved thank goodness. And now regarding the Na Pali Coast, an aft (or rear) viewing spot gives a very nice panorama as well. We saw a number of whales in our wake so that added to the majesty of the experience. Have a blast, I know we did.

Archived