South Pacific Kava Ceremony

My lady and myself were talking last night and going through the shore excursions. We both decided we would like to sit in on a Kava Ceremony. Even though the cruise lines do not endorse such doings.

Has anyone partaken and what should one expect? I wouldnt want to book a excursion that we both wont remember, one that we are on a tour and secondly that we are on a cruise.

My good lady suggested that they probley sell Kava in a can at the Deli, which I said was slightly missing the point!!..lol :rolleyes: ..any one with funny past experiences in this realm would be good so we can make an educated decision :cool:...ohh do they sell Kava in a Can lol?

My lady and myself were talking last night and going through the shore excursions. We both decided we would like to sit in on a Kava Ceremony. Even though the cruise lines do not endorse such doings.

Has anyone partaken and what should one expect? I wouldnt want to book a excursion that we both wont remember, one that we are on a tour and secondly that we are on a cruise.

My good lady suggested that they probley sell Kava in a can at the Deli, which I said was slightly missing the point!!..lol :rolleyes: ..any one with funny past experiences in this realm would be good so we can make an educated decision :cool:...ohh do they sell Kava in a Can lol?

Looking at the ports you go to, I have a few suggestions. It will be fairly easy for you to have some kava with the locals. I have had kava on a few occasions and suggest you limit yourself to one bowl, otherwise you lips and face will become numb. After a few bowls you will be 'legless'. Be warned, that when you accept the bowl of kava, you must drink it or you will cause offence. Kava certainly doesn't taste good - in fact it tastes like muddy water. It is a narcotic, not alcoholic. I feel it is one of the experiences of the islands and it's great that you want to try it. Most visitors don't seem to be interested.

Suggestions -

At Dravuni Island the island men always sit in the big thatched hut just behind where the tender drops you off. You will see where I mean when you get there. Each time we have been there, a few of the senior men of the village sit with a bowl of kava and I think there have been a few coins beside it. The impression I have is that you can sit down and join the men for a drink in return for a small donation.

At Mystery Island I believe the locals actually have a kava ceremony that the passengers can attend for a small fee. I have seen the sign each time we have been there, but haven't been to it.

In Vila there is a kava house opposite the chiefs' meeting hall, but I believe it is only open in the evening.

It is easy to buy kava in Vila at the markets and it could also be available in Suva. You can bring up to 1kg per person into Australia, but I don't know why anyone would bother to.:) I suggest you try it as part of your Pacific Island experience, but don't try to replicate it at home unless you want to involve your friends and family in it later. :):)

Thanks Aus Traveller,

Very imformative post, well you haven't put us off but just made us more weary and wise. Maybe I can enlist the help of my fair lady to see if we can find some more brave souls when we get on the Pacific Jewel?..:rolleyes:..thanks for sitting down and spending the time to inform us it is appreciated..Hmmm dont know if I would want to take any back into Australia lol...I would hate to be stripped searched when I get off the cruise :o :eek: ...but its a thought just to see how my oldies handle Kava Tea :D

Thanks Aus Traveller,

Very imformative post, well you haven't put us off but just made us more weary and wise. Maybe I can enlist the help of my fair lady to see if we can find some more brave souls when we get on the Pacific Jewel?..:rolleyes:..thanks for sitting down and spending the time to inform us it is appreciated..Hmmm dont know if I would want to take any back into Australia lol...I would hate to be stripped searched when I get off the cruise :o :eek: ...but its a thought just to see how my oldies handle Kava Tea :D

As you are interested, I advise you to try it.:)

If you are going to do a "real" kava ceremony rather than a "tourist" one you need to be aware of a few things..

This ceremony has real significance to the Fijiian people it is not a joke. No laughing, giggling etc. Real kava is meant to be chewed and then pounded into a liquid..take the bowl with both hands and drink in one drink then clap hands twice..do not pull faces or spit out. Do not wear any head covering within the villiage (only chiefs may do this). A present for the village chief will always be appreciated..whole kava roots or packaged cigarettes are the usual gift.

Observance of these simple cultural conventions will be appreciated by the Fijiian people present.

You can bring it back into Australia just declare it..make sure your shoes are clean if you have been around pigs, chickens etc. that are usually wandering around the village.

I am pleased you are interested in the culture...real travellers always are and are always richer for the experience.:)

Hi Rugby Popsie,

Thankyou for your advice on Kava ceremonies, I had read on some other web sites and forms the significance and manners required to partake with out offending.

But I do appreciate you informing me and anyone else who is intrested.

Ignorance of anyone's culture should not be tolerated by anyone. Particularly travellers. So I promise I will be on my best behaviour.. unless they start laughing first :)

Thanks for the tips on the gifts for the Village Chief..

My partner actually would like to take some clothes for the children that are good but no longer needed in a extra suitcase so as we have room to buy any treasure's we find. Would we need see the chief about that too?

Once again thanks.

It's a good idea to take childrens' clothes. Other items that are very enthusiastically received are school supplies and books - both childrens' and adults. I suggest that Dravuni Island is the ideal place to receive any of these goods. You could see the village chief or the school teacher. When ships visit the school is open for visitors. Don't miss it.

Thanks again Aus Trav,

Well maybe we can kill two birds with one stone go see the chief on Dravuni Isle pay our respects give him the clothes and that may leed into a kava ceremony :o i would feel a bit guilty just walking up like "Hey where is your Kava Ceremony today"...is there anything else good to do on Dravuni?...or will we be able to walk after the kava? lol :s

It's nice to see we are such a polite and respectful bunch of cruisers...don't get me started on some things I have witnessed...anyway some ignorant idiots are not safe to let out their front door.

Gifts for the kids are always appreciated, the love clothes, any sporting equipment, footballs in particular, books pens or writing materials. Approaching any of the villagers and explaining that you would like to present a gift will get you pointed in the right direction.

Its interesting you say cruise lines dont endorse it. Our village tour we did on Rhapsody was promoted that we were going to be going to an authentic Fijian village and having a Kava ceremony. I loved the whole cultural experience. I was chosen to be the `honorary` chief so was therefore the 2nd one chosen to have the kava. I was very honoured. The others are right, it tastes yukky but who cares when you get to be apart of such a moving experience. My partners boss is Fijian, and we even got some to take home...We saw alot of places just selling sealed bags of it (we got a heap given to us by a kind villager) Enjoy, you will love the whole experience especially if you do it with a village tour :)

Thanks again Aus Trav,

Well maybe we can kill two birds with one stone go see the chief on Dravuni Isle pay our respects give him the clothes and that may leed into a kava ceremony :o i would feel a bit guilty just walking up like "Hey where is your Kava Ceremony today"...is there anything else good to do on Dravuni?...or will we be able to walk after the kava? lol :s

1. Watch and enjoy the dance show. This is usually at 11am.

2. Have a look at the school and see the delightful children and their drawings and shool work. Give a cash donation to the teacher. Note the sign on the outside of the school that lists those children whose parents haven't paid their school fees. I am often tempted to pay the fees for them but that would probably break down the social/financial structure in that those who scrimped and saved to pay fees might resent it. So we just give cash to the teacher and we also give her school writing pads and pencils. Books like atlases and maybe children's encyclopedias that are no longer required would be treated like gold there.

3. Swim and enjoy the coral.

4. If you are energetic you can walk to the top of the high hill, but be warned it is steeper than it looks.

5. An easy option is to take the path behind the village. When you get to the top of the fairly steep 'steps' turn to the left for a superb view over the village with the ship at anchor in the lagoon. It is a gorgeous view and doesn't involve too much strenuous walking.

6. Continue on the path to the other side of the island. This side won't have many people, but it can be windy. The path is a little bit more difficult on that side as it isn't maintained as much.

Have a fantastic time.

Thanks Aus Trav, Popsie and Cazz,

Great Ideas, Im up for an explore but will see if I can get out the village first lol.

I dont know where I saw that that P&O didnt dig the Kava experience maybe I was wrong have been before lotsa times lol

I can see im going to have excess baggage with all the gifts that my lady will want too give to the villagers :S

We have had Karva a couple times, as said it tastes pretty awful, like dirty muddy water, it didnt do anything to us what-so-ever, nothing tingled like its supposed to,no affect at all, so I dont know if ours was dodgy or what:D You can only give it a try and see what you think :p

We have had Karva a couple times, as said it tastes pretty awful, like dirty muddy water, it didnt do anything to us what-so-ever, nothing tingled like its supposed to,no affect at all, so I dont know if ours was dodgy or what:D You can only give it a try and see what you think :p

It might depend how strong they make it. I know when I had two bowls with the elders at Dravuni Island many years ago, it was so strong my mouth was numb. I only had the second bowl because 'someone' didn't get the photo in time. :D

:eek: wow whats in Kava to make you have babies :confused: gawd lol

I suppose the strength depends on the person making it ??..just like slack barman = bad drinks...and if the barman likes you = a wobblie long walk home :D

:eek: wow whats in Kava to make you have babies :confused: gawd lol

I suppose the strength depends on the person making it ??..just like slack barman = bad drinks...and if the barman likes you = a wobblie long walk home :D

I think they would often make a weak brew for tourists, but if you have it with the locals, you will get the 'real deal'. In that case, I suggest you have only one bowl. :D:D

I think they would often make a weak brew for tourists, but if you have it with the locals, you will get the 'real deal'. In that case, I suggest you have only one bowl. :D:D

I think you are quite correct. When we had it, it was on a shore tour thru the ship, even our kids were offered it and they tried and no effect on them (14 & 17) when we were back on ship we were talking to others who had tried with locals, nothing to do with the ships tour and they had a completely different experience... When on an organised ships shore tour they probably only give you dirty water..lol...:D and think, you silly tourists.. Fiona :):)

• 3 months later...

Saw an interesting article today which reminded me of this thread....

just in case anyone is thinking of bringing any Kava back home....

read on....

Kiwi arrested in Oz for carrying Kava

A New Zealand man has been arrested at an airport near Darwin after he was found with 19 kilograms of kava, which is a controlled substance in Australia.

The 23-year-old was arrested at Gove airport and charged with possessing and supplying a trafficable amount of kava.

He was nabbed when a sniffer dog drew attention to his luggage.

The kava was apparently bound for a local Aboriginal community.

Australia does not allow the use, possession and selling of kava without a permit - and no permits have been issued since 2007.

The penalty for possessing or supplying a commercial quantity is eight years in jail.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/9985891/kiwi-arrested-in-oz-for-carrying-kava/

Saw an interesting article today which reminded me of this thread....

just in case anyone is thinking of bringing any Kava back home....

read on....

Kiwi arrested in Oz for carrying Kava

A New Zealand man has been arrested at an airport near Darwin after he was found with 19 kilograms of kava, which is a controlled substance in Australia.

The 23-year-old was arrested at Gove airport and charged with possessing and supplying a trafficable amount of kava.

He was nabbed when a sniffer dog drew attention to his luggage.

The kava was apparently bound for a local Aboriginal community.

Australia does not allow the use, possession and selling of kava without a permit - and no permits have been issued since 2007.

The penalty for possessing or supplying a commercial quantity is eight years in jail.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/9985891/kiwi-arrested-in-oz-for-carrying-kava/

I brought back a kilo from my last trip on the Jewel, it was wierd going through Customs, it went sorta like this "Have you anything to declare Sir?" ..I reply "Yes a kilo of Karva" he replied "Thats great sir anything else Sir?"..I reply "No Officer"..He then said "Ok then,I hope you enjoyed your holiday have a pleasant day"..:cool:

I must say its not the nicest tasting substance, I would rather just have a couple of beers, the only reason I brought back a kilo was because I wanted all my friends to know how rank it tastes lol :)

Archived