Rick Springfield Cruise Nov 5, 2011 Questions for past cruisers

vegasgirl702

Hello! Has anyone done his cruises in the past? I need help in making a decision.

Price difference is $1,000 approximate:

1. Get a OV on 2nd floor with a stranger (tour co place u with same sex & near same age)

2. Get a balcony (single supplement) 8th floor midship. Extra cost is $1000.

What would you do? Are you in the room a lot? Would you be nervous in tight quarters with a stranger as a room mate?

Hello! Has anyone done his cruises in the past? I need help in making a decision.

Price difference is $1,000 approximate:

1. Get a OV on 2nd floor with a stranger (tour co place u with same sex & near same age)

2. Get a balcony (single supplement) 8th floor midship. Extra cost is $1000.

What would you do? Are you in the room a lot? Would you be nervous in tight quarters with a stranger as a room mate?

What ship is this?

Think back to your freshman year at college. It can't be any worse than getting assigned a stranger as a college roommate! You live with that person the whole semester/year!

The cruise is only a week. And just think, you'll both have Rick Springfield in common!

If you're that into Rick, then go for it! It's only money! From what I've heard, those cruises sell out fast - if you don't do it someone else will!

Have Fun!

Hello! Thanks for the suggestions! Yes! College days, that was eons ago. I lucked out because my roomie stayed with her upper-class boyfriend. She was never around.

Ship is Destiny with Carnival! 5 Nov 2011 (Miami)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

I go on these cruises with my hubby, so I have not been in your position. I do have friends that have roomed with others they did not know, and it's been fine. The schedule is pretty full with activities, particularly on the days at sea. Between that, meals and exploring the ship, you are not in your cabin all that much. I would do the roommate match. That's a large price difference; I am sure you could spend that money on something else - excursions, the beach party, etc etc etc. (You could also put a message on the RS message board to see if anyone is looking for a roomie; that would give you a chance to get to know someone a bit before booking.)

It is a really good time! It is very well organized and worth every penny.

(Don't listen to the negativity on the board, either. :))

I say save the money and make a new friend. After 10 years in the army possibly having to sleep in a barracks full of other females during certain duties or trainings, I am just happy that I don't have to shower with them LOL We were a really small unit and I was 1 of 3 females. When we went out to the field, we had to sleep in our large tents with the guys. Be happy they are putting you with a female as they fart far less often in their sleep haha

Enjoy the cruise. I love Rick Springfield. Wonder if I can talk my husband into letting me go on a girls' vacation and get a couple of my old friends to meet me there.

I go on these cruises with my hubby, so I have not been in your position. I do have friends that have roomed with others they did not know, and it's been fine. The schedule is pretty full with activities, particularly on the days at sea. Between that, meals and exploring the ship, you are not in your cabin all that much. I would do the roommate match. That's a large price difference; I am sure you could spend that money on something else - excursions, the beach party, etc etc etc. (You could also put a message on the RS message board to see if anyone is looking for a roomie; that would give you a chance to get to know someone a bit before booking.)

It is a really good time! It is very well organized and worth every penny.

(Don't listen to the negativity on the board, either. :))

I will go on board - roll call!

• 1 month later...

I made the leap and signed up for the roomie matchup program for this cruise. I am recently divorced and treated myself to this cruise- and I am so excited for it!

I like to have fun, make friends easily and figure worse case if I get stuck with a roomate from hell I can always go out and have a drink by the pool and read books all day long.

But seriously, how bad can it be - unless I get stuck with a psycho Rick Springfield stalker lady. But I loved all my college roomies- and they are still some of my best friends to this day. Going into it with a positive attitude and planning on having a blast!

He was busted in Malibu for DUI last week.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/05/rick-springfield-arrested-dui-drunk-driving.html?dlvrit=23648

Rick Springfield, the guy who sang "Jessie's Girl," was arrested in Malibu on Sunday night on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Sheriff's deputies pulled over the soap actor-turned-crooner in his 1963 Corvette around 8 p.m., making the traffic stop near Pacific Coast Highway and Trancas Canyon Road, said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.

"He made a maneuver away from the light and it prompted them to stop and pull him over," Whitmore said. It was unknown what Springfield did that caught the deputies' attention.

When they pulled him over, deputies said, they smelled alcohol on Springfield's breath and asked him to breathe into a breathalyzer. The 61-year-old blew a 0.10% on the field sobriety test, according to Whitmore. The legal limit in California is 0.08.

Springfield was arrested and taken into custody at the Malibu/Lost Hills Station. After he sobered up, Whitmore said, the singer was released on $5,000 bond around 2:10 a.m.

That's the same station where Mel Gibson was taken after he was arrested "without incident" on a DUI charge in 2006. Once details of that arrest were leaked, it turned into quite an incident for the actor.

thumbnail.jpg.e64111276a8af0bb91b5c9b66182fff8.jpg

A friend at work is going on this cruise. She is a Rick Springfield nut! She eats,sleeps and thinks of Rick all the time! She was going with her husband but can't afford for them both to go, so she is going solo. I don't know if she found a roomie yet, I will check.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm Lee from Savannah, GA and this will be my 3rd Carnival cruise. I'm traveling single along with my sis and her b/f who will be first time cruisers. We didn't realize that this was a Rick Springfield cruise as well. I was just wondering how this will affect others who aren't booked with the event. Will we be limited on some of the access and activities on board? I don't want their first cruise experience to be disappointing. I'm a fan from way back in the 80s, but wouldn't be interested in a Rick Springfield themed vacation. Thanks!

Sooo jealous!!! My sis and I wanted to do this cruise, but it was just too much money to book through the tour company and we didn't. We love Rick, have seen him in concert many times (and we've had front row to several concerts).

We both read his book and for my sister, the bloom was off the rose after it. I figured that I wasn't married to the man, so it wasn't my problem if he cheated on his wife over and over. That's between him and her. It does change the way you look at him as a fan for over 30 years.

I think that if you can do the roomie thing, do it. Save the money and enjoy the cruise. And please post when you come back.

Hi, I'm Lee from Savannah, GA and this will be my 3rd Carnival cruise. I'm traveling single along with my sis and her b/f who will be first time cruisers. We didn't realize that this was a Rick Springfield cruise as well. I was just wondering how this will affect others who aren't booked with the event. Will we be limited on some of the access and activities on board? I don't want their first cruise experience to be disappointing. I'm a fan from way back in the 80s, but wouldn't be interested in a Rick Springfield themed vacation. Thanks!

They will have the various lounges and theaters closed at points during the days and evenings for events and concerts that will only be available to folks who booked the cruise through the promoter who booked the block of cabins for the Rick Springfield cruise.

I know I saw pictures from one of his previous cruises, where he was playing a show on the lido deck on the bandstand by the pool, to a packed lido deck.

(I don't know if they had booked the whole ship that year, or if that was just available to everyone.)

They usually play a main concert at a resort while in port.

(they played at the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau last year and at a beach club in Cozumel, the year before)

So yes, some events will be closed to folks who just booked through Carnival and not through the private company for extra $$$$$$..

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill! Too late for me to do anything about it now, but will be more careful in the future. I'll contact my PVP and find out exactly how this will affect us. I know they want to fill up the ship and it probably won't be that big of a deal, but it would have been nice to have been made aware of it when we booked.

Thanks for the info Bill! Too late for me to do anything about it now, but will be more careful in the future. I'll contact my PVP and find out exactly how this will affect us. I know they want to fill up the ship and it probably won't be that big of a deal, but it would have been nice to have been made aware of it when we booked.

I think you'll be OK unless you have an aversion to mostly 40-50'ish women, who loved 80's pop music.

Not like you wound up with a devoutely Christian cruise, or a gothic vampire fan cruise or the Monsters of Rock cruise (80's hair metal, which I want to get on) or a Gansta Rap cruise or some other extreme end of the spectrum kind of cruise.

I think 40's-50's-ish soccer Mom's trying to relive a 30 year old crush is about as tame a group as you can get. :D

Hope you have a great cruise.

Bill

I think you'll be OK unless you have an aversion to mostly 40-50'ish women, who loved 80's pop music.

Not like you wound up with a devoutely Christian cruise, or a gothic vampire fan cruise or the Monsters of Rock cruise (80's hair metal, which I want to get on) or a Gansta Rap cruise or some other extreme end of the spectrum kind of cruise.

I think 40's-50's-ish soccer Mom's trying to relive a 30 year old crush is about as tame a group as you can get. :D

Hope you have a great cruise.

Bill

LOL, u know what, I think u might be right. It could be a LOT worse and I'm an 80s pop music fan anyway, so I should be fine. I'm sure we will make the most of it and enjoy ourselves regardless. :cool:

I am going on the same cruise and this will be my 4th Rick Springfield cruise. I have roomed with a stranger 2 times and had no problem. I still email both room mates. This year I am rooming with the same lady i roomed with last year and my friend who was only able to do the first cruise with me. we are in a balcony it has more room for 3 ladies. To me the cruise is worth every penny we spend. There is so much to do. There are other guests on the cruise Rick keeps us busy from morning to (late late at night) a plug for his new book. Doug Davidson has been on all 4 cruises so has Mark Goodman from MTV (80'S) This year Jack Wagner will be a guest and so will Zoot the band Rick was in back in Australia Where he is from.

Archived