Glacier Bay and Government Shutdown

dan1618

Actually, it is almost certain that Glacier Bay will be shut to all traffic. In addition to the rangers I believe that there are pilots who board the ships in the park and without them ships aren't allowed to sail. All national parks will be closed- BUT- it is highly unlikely that the government will be shut down that long- 17 days is the longest I understand that it has been shut down in the past. But you never know and certainly you are right- nothing you can do about it. There are other glaciers that the ships may divert to.

Actually, it is almost certain that Glacier Bay will be shut to all traffic. In addition to the rangers I believe that there are pilots who board the ships in the park and without them ships aren't allowed to sail. All national parks will be closed- BUT- it is highly unlikely that the government will be shut down that long- 17 days is the longest I understand that it has been shut down in the past. But you never know and certainly you are right- nothing you can do about it. There are other glaciers that the ships may divert to.

The pilots board for the entire voyage in SE Alaskan waters; they are not specific just for Glacier Bay. There are generally two pilots who take it in shifts while the ship is underway. If you go to Whittier you will disembark your pilots near the Cape Spencer lighthouse and pick up new pilots just inside Prince William Sound.

First of all, I very seriously doubt they will close Glacier Bay to vessel traffic, including cruise ships. What is more likely to happen is that the rangers will not be able to board and give their program, although even that may happen. The government shutdown is for services that aren't funded by outside sources. The cruise ships pay a fee per head for Glacier Bay, so it is funded by an outside source. However, if you are in Bartlett Cove and really, really need to use the bathroom.....

Of more concern are passports, as previously mentioned, and other national park and forest-service funded areas. I don't think people realize how many of the tours and excursions are on public lands. While the shutdown could possibly affect any number of tours from helicopter landings on Mendenhall Glacier (Forest Service) to tours in Skagway (park service) what could be closed down remains to be seen. Most certainly all the park service stuff in Skagway would close and the Mendenhall visitor center. Some concessionaires that don't yet have permits in place may not be able to operate tours. The possibilities are almost endless, but also very unpredictable. I for one am not going to worry about it, although I will be on a ship in early May.

Actually, many National Parks are funded by fees collected from visitors. However, they will all be shut down anyways. My information came directly from the staff of the Glacier Bay National Park office. They told me that all vessels would be excluded from using the park.

I don't recommend worrying, but I do recommend taking action now to let representatives know that for this and many other reasons, they should resolve the conflict now.

As for those who say there are much bigger worries than this: you are absolutely correct. Lost jobs, lost income, growing deficits, you name it. However, when we have saved for ages for a once in a lifetime trip that we will likely never be able to do again, I make no apology for being concerned about it and contacting our leaders about the overall issues.

The pilots board for the entire voyage in SE Alaskan waters; they are not specific just for Glacier Bay. There are generally two pilots who take it in shifts while the ship is underway. If you go to Whittier you will disembark your pilots near the Cape Spencer lighthouse and pick up new pilots just inside Prince William Sound.

Oh......now that may be a concern. Wonder if they are federal employees? Wonder if they would be considered essential? Although I don't anticipate the government still being closed in May.

Nevermind- most of inside passage is in Canada with Canadian pilots.

Oh......now that may be a concern. Wonder if they are federal employees? Wonder if they would be considered essential? Although I don't anticipate the government still being closed in May.

I don't believe the pilots are federal employees. I spoke to the cruise line about the situation and they did not seem particularly concerned -- that the itinerary would simply change if Glacier Bay were closed. They did not view it as something that would jeopardize the entire Inside Passage cruise.

I also don't anticipate the government still being closed in May, but our current Congress is a very different animal than any that has ever existed. I don't put too much past this group....

Just looked it up and the pilots are in fact Canadian, when in Canada, and Alaskan employees when up in Alaska. Not federal so that eases that. But Glacier Bay is still federal so that will close.

Nice to know. Thanks for the additional research. Hopefully they will get smart and resolve quickly.

I wanted to point out that 800,000 lives of federal workers and many more government contractors may not be going to work on Monday and not getting paid and don't know how long it will last. All government offices, parks and muesums will be shut as of midnight tonight if there is no compromise. I think everyone should wonder why the United States doesn't have a budget when it a constitutionally mandated and should have been signed last September. Sorry for the post, I live in the Washington area and it's extremely tense right now with people wondered how they are going to survive without a paycheck.

I wanted to point out that 800,000 lives of federal workers and many more government contractors may not be going to work on Monday and not getting paid and don't know how long it will last. All government offices, parks and muesums will be shut as of midnight tonight if there is no compromise. I think everyone should wonder why the United States doesn't have a budget when it a constitutionally mandated and should have been signed last September. Sorry for the post, I live in the Washington area and it's extremely tense right now with people wondered how they are going to survive without a paycheck.

No need to apologize! I completely understand that vacation is very insignificant when compared to people losing their paychecks.

I have been listening to the news about the national parks that will close if the government closed down

but I completely forgot glacier (bay) park

thanks for the heads up

Though no one has mentioned it, I would think Denali NP could be way more affected than Glacier Bay. The spring road opening would come to a halt. That would push back the opening of the road by days if not weeks. Just yesterday they had more snow that closed the road back to mile 3. If they can't get back to clearing the road for another 1-2-3 weeks, it could easily be the first time in at least a decade that the road might not be open to shuttle buses on May 20. But, as was said previously, worrying won't change a thing.

Though no one has mentioned it, I would think Denali NP could be way more affected than Glacier Bay. The spring road opening would come to a halt. That would push back the opening of the road by days if not weeks. Just yesterday they had more snow that closed the road back to mile 3. If they can't get back to clearing the road for another 1-2-3 weeks, it could easily be the first time in at least a decade that the road might not be open to shuttle buses on May 20. But, as was said previously, worrying won't change a thing.

thanks -- had forgotten about denali

you don't have to appologize

i think the reason this thread was started and why people are worried -- is mainly because some people have already paid off their cruises -- they can't even get their money back if things are not open -- especially for those who have cruises in may

and some of those very people who have paid off their cruises could be government employees that may not be getting a pay check -- that will really be rough on them - taking a dream cruise and knowing that they may not get a pay check

dan

i have another question --

what about hubbard glacier and tracy arm?

i don't think that either are national parks. So, no problems there.

And yes, I agree about the 800,000 and the other ramifications of the shutdown, and mentioned this immediately. But we were lead back to discussing just the cruise issues involved- which is ok. I don't think we are really that self centered to think that this is the only issue involved.

And yes, I agree about the 800,000 and the other ramifications of the shutdown, and mentioned this immediately. But we were lead back to discussing just the cruise issues involved- which is ok. I don't think we are really that self centered to think that this is the only issue involved.

Agreed. I am sensitive to the fact that there are ramifications beyond this and in another forum would be glad to discuss all the other political issues involved. On this site, though, the Glacier Bay information seemed relevant.

Also, the fact that I care that people will not get paid - whether federal employees or the businesses that are harmed by the shut down - does not mean that I cannot simultaneously care that I paid a large amount of money to take my wife and our kids on a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for our 25th anniversary and that I can't afford to ever do this again. If we miss out, we will miss out for good. In a few weeks, the government workers will get every dollar of back pay -- even if they didn't work - so I sympathize with their temporary problems, but also know they will be made whole. Businesses will never get back some of the business they lose -- and some of us who paid for cruises like this will never get the chance again.

Read the original post: it was simply saying "here are the facts". That was my only intent and I apologize to those who think even bringing it up was insensitive to people who's jobs are directly affected.

thanks dan

Not sure I follow this- if they aren't federal sites then why would they be affected.

You said:

My point was that they only have to be federally-managed sites, not "national parks", like you stated, to be affected. Since Hubbard and Tracy Arm are not federally-managed sites, they won't be affected, but not because they are not "national parks." Lots of places will be affected that are not national parks. Hope that clarifies it.

You said:

My point was that they only have to be federally-managed sites, not "national parks", like you stated, to be affected. Since Hubbard and Tracy Arm are not federally-managed sites, they won't be affected, but not because they are not "national parks." Lots of places will be affected that are not national parks. Hope that clarifies it.

Okay- guess that makes sense. But the two in question aren't so nothing to worry about I guess on them.

There are many cruise ships that will be sailing to Alaska starting in the next few weeks. Each ship carries over 1000 passengers. Odds are that at least one of our elected representatives is planning on taking a cruise with his or her family. That guarantees that the crisis will be resolved in time for their cruise. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic Forums Dan. It is good to have you here and I appreciate the information. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on an Alaskan cruise this May. I was worried today because my wife's passport had expired and we sent in her expired one for renewal a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I paid extra to have it expedited and got it in the mail today! Hopefully our elected reps will get their act together and compromise on an acceptable budget very soon.

Our cruise is the May 25th SB on the Island Princess. If you are on this one, let me know and we can all toast our 25th together.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Forums Dan. It is good to have you here and I appreciate the information. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on an Alaskan cruise this May. I was worried today because my wife's passport had expired and we sent in her expired one for renewal a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I paid extra to have it expedited and got it in the mail today! Hopefully our elected reps will get their act together and compromise on an acceptable budget very soon.

Our cruise is the May 25th SB on the Island Princess. If you are on this one, let me know and we can all toast our 25th together.

Thanks for the welcome.

We will be on the Zuiderdam Inside Passage May 21. Hope you have a great celebration for yours!

Archived